C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much for this 79

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2002, 07:04 PM
TNT
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How much for this 79

Hello everyone, as some of you guys know I am a 70 man. I have owned 3 so far with one having a chapter Top Flight and my current car having a National Top Flight. I have also owned a 71 and a 72. So the chrome bumper sharks are really what I think I know best. In Dec I sold my 70 coup driver, couldn't pass the offer$$$$. At the same time I was starting a frame off on the 70 conv, the raw score was only 97.2 and I really couldn't up it without a frame off so I started that! Now I find myself without a driver, now the wife and I are in the process of building a new house and improving the property at the same time. SO i don't have alot of Doe$$ to spend, so I found a driver, beater, no offence to anyone, 1979. I has a realy bad paint job over a no hit body, the engine has never been out of the car and it still has the pollotion stuff on it. The int is a 6 and the ext and under hood are a 5. The mileage is 85k. Stainless brakes along with new tires. The owner went from 8 grand to 7 instantly and then to 65 hundred and after a little while he hinted at 6 grand! Is this driver car that needs bushings and some attention all over worth this kind of money? Give me some input please. thanks Thad--TNT :jester
Old 02-12-2002, 07:17 PM
oger
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How much for this 79 (TNT)

As the owner of a 79 that I paid $2000 for with a dead engine. I think they are nice drivers if you like that type of Corvette. I came to the conclusion that I paid way too much for the car. They made too many of them they were poorly made and no one wants them. A nice one that needs paint but everything else is fine you might get $4000 for. Find an earlier year and restore it even though the initial cost will be much higher the price of restoration is not that much different.
Old 02-12-2002, 07:23 PM
DavidOrr
Instructor

For what it's worth, I purchased mine for $3,700. It had sat for the last 8 years. The engine was rebuilt in mid 90's and about 500 miles put on it. Car had 52k miles. Interior, seats (both) ripped, carpet needs replaced. Everything else is good. Exterior - paint is bad, it's a 10 footer (looks good from 10 feet away). Never been wrecked, frame is good.

So now I'm fighting the typical 23yr old car problems with a few additional because the car sat for 8 years.

I think I got a good deal, if you want to beater that you can drive, I would offer the guy 5k - and comprise at 5.5 or 6.

my 2 cents - David
Old 02-12-2002, 07:27 PM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Default Re: How much for this 79 (oger)

I say go for it TNT. You've dealt with enough vettes to look at what really matters so if you are thinking of buying it, its probably worth buying. You can always get a couple cans of tremclad to fix the paint job. Its got good brakes, good rubber, it obviously runs good, looks rough but its still a vette!
Old 02-12-2002, 07:39 PM
Pete79L82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought mine in about the same condition except it needed brakes and tires. It had been sitting for 8 years while the previous owner was in the sevice. He lost intrest with it by the time he got out. If you look at my web page there is a picture of it the way I bought it. It is a pretty high optioned L-82 4 speed. I payed $2500.00 for it. Doing all the work myself (including paint) I have just a tad over $6000.00 in it total.

Generaly the market for clean 79's is in the $8k to $9k range. Buy the time you figure the cost of paint, interior and misc. the price seems quite a bit on the high side.
Old 02-12-2002, 09:40 PM
1980 razz
Racer

you know vettes soi think it would be a fairly good deal..u could take care of the basics, have a great daily driver,and get ur money back when u decide to sell it..lol
Old 02-12-2002, 09:45 PM
TNT
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: How much for this 79 (1980 razz)

Thanks everyone so far! It looks as thought the opinions are about 50/50? I may keep on looking and also keep my eye on this car if it dosen't sell! thanks Thad :jester
Old 02-12-2002, 09:53 PM
vcole@metrocast.net
Instructor

TNT, I think you can find better deals than that. There are a lot of late 70's vettes out there for 4-5K and even less for a little bit worse condition. I've even seen the late 70's vettes in real good condition for 8-9K. I think you should offer him 5 and walk away, I'd bet from what your saying you would get a call in a couple days and it would likely be a fair deal for both of you.

good luck

VC
:cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To How much for this 79

Quick Reply: How much for this 79