C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake Manifolds HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2002, 07:00 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Intake Manifolds HELP!

As many of you know I am nearing the assembly (FINALLY!) of the big block. I am currently concerned with my intake manifold of choice. I will be using an Edelbrock Torker II intake.

My first question is, how much horsepower am I "leaving on the table" with this intake? I was told that I am loosing about 50 horsepower by going with the Torker II. Is there a better intake manifold to go with? I chose the Torker II mostly because I was under the impression that it would fit under my stock hood, but if I'm loosing 50 horsepower by going with it I'll change intakes and get an L88 hood. I'm NOT looking for more torque, I want some horsepower.

I'm currently gasket matching the Torker II intake, is this a waste of time or time well-spent? The heads are gasket matched so it only makes sense to me to gasket match the intake too. Opinions?

Old 02-12-2002, 07:13 PM
Stingy74
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Intake Manifolds HELP! (bence13_33)

Bence, typically you can expect 5 horse or so on a match porting job. Super high flow engines may experience an even higher jump. I'm in the same ball park with my Victor Jr. I have alot of grinding to do:

[Modified by Stingy74, 5:14 PM 2/12/2002]
Old 02-12-2002, 07:42 PM
QuickVet
Race Director

Default Re: Intake Manifolds HELP! (Stingy74)

what compression ratio are you going to have? I had a Torker intake and the ports are way to small. even the Performer RPM has ports bigger then the torker. i would use the air gap if it would fit, if not, then the regular RPM. if you are really looking for power go for the Victor JR (providing your heads flow well).
Old 02-12-2002, 08:16 PM
Clink69
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shane,

I am glad you are rethinking this. I had doubts about that choice in the past.:confused: I agree if you can fit the RPM or RPM Air gap (both are same height) you would be far better off. They will provide great flow from 1500 - 6500. I don't remember your rev requirements but surely you aren't going much higher than that are you?

I was able to get the RPM Air Gap fit under my SB hood , but a big block is a different story. I can't answer that question, but it might under your hood. What hood do you currently have?

If you are going for a higher revving engine the Victor Jr would be good. But with it you will lose some on the low end.

The Torker II has a little of the worst of both worlds. The low end is only OK and the high end may flow better than some dual planes but its not a Victor Jr.

Just remember, its never too late. :D good for you... :yesnod:

:flag
Old 02-12-2002, 09:50 PM
Bob Turner
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey bence,

That Performer RPM (both the standard and Air Gap) won't fit with the stock hood.
Here is a link to the Edelbrock site. Click on "Intake manifold" and then "Big Block Chevrolet", scroll down and you will see the info on the manifolds.
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/index.html

I think you would be making the right choice to go with the Performer RPM and besides, that L-88 hood looks awesome on our cars!! :yesnod:

Bob :cool:
Old 02-12-2002, 10:31 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How did you determine 50hp? Have you read this yet? http://www.72chevelle.com/lashword.htm BEWARE, it will make you want a roller!

As far as manifolds are concerned, you don't have any better choices :( The dual planes above will never fit under the stock hood. I also had a Weiand 7513 (www.holley.com), and it was nicer/taller than the Torker, but not by much. It might fit with the right air cleaner combo.

If you want to put the Tremec off for a while and spend that money on fuel injection, I can tell you how to put an Edelbrock Victor Jr. under the stock hood for the ultimate sleeper... (my manifold is being converted this week!)

-Joe

[Modified by Flareside, 9:32 PM 2/12/2002]
Old 02-12-2002, 10:51 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Re: Intake Manifolds HELP! (Flareside)

Joe:
One of the forum members told me about 50HP loss because of the Torker II (I found that hard to believe, but thought I would ask you guys). As far as fuel injection goes :nonod: :nonod: :nonod: . First and foremost the price (enough said ;) ). Second of all I don't like....no I hate fuel injection! Too many wires, computers, injectors and what not :D . I love the simplicity of the carburetor, furthermore (IMO) there is nothing like the sound of a high compression, solid lifter cam'ed, carbureted engine :yesnod:.

I think I'm going to stick with the Torker II for now. The ports are small, but I am gasket matching it so it should flow a little better. Now if only I had a die grinder, porting this intake would be soooo much easier. I've spent the last two days or so grinding away at the intake....2 ports down 6 more to go *sigh*. If I were to get a taller intake I think I would go with the Holley Strip Dominator. My buddy Tim Dotts ran this on his 454 Camaro and swore by it.
Old 02-13-2002, 12:26 AM
Stingy74
Safety Car

I love the simplicity of the carburetor, furthermore (IMO) there is nothing like the sound of a high compression, solid lifter cam'ed, carbureted engine :yesnod:.
Amen Bence!!! :cheers: Remind me to buy you a beer or two if i'm ever in Pennsylvania!

[Modified by Stingy74, 10:26 PM 2/12/2002]
Old 02-13-2002, 12:39 AM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Re: Intake Manifolds HELP! (Stingy74)

Ok now, let' race, right now. :mad :mad :mad Carb :cry FI :D I like them both, just had to protect my own. :cheers:
Old 02-13-2002, 09:26 AM
Flareside
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First and foremost the price (enough said ;) ).

This, from a guy saving for a Jerico? ;)

I love the simplicity of the carburetor, furthermore (IMO) there is nothing like the sound of a high compression, solid lifter cam'ed, carbureted engine :yesnod:.

Amen to that one!

I think I'm going to stick with the Torker II for now. The ports are small, but I am gasket matching it so it should flow a little better. Now if only I had a die grinder, porting this intake would be soooo much easier. I've spent the last two days or so grinding away at the intake....2 ports down 6 more to go *sigh*. If I were to get a taller intake I think I would go with the Holley Strip Dominator. My buddy Tim Dotts ran this on his 454 Camaro and swore by it.[/quote]

The problem with the Torker is the height, not the size of the ports :( The floor is flat, so the air has to make a hard 90* turn, and that kills flow. Talk to mountainmotor, he's modified a few Torkers to work better.

What are you porting it with? You can get a few 6" carbides for your electric drill from Summit that will cut right through that aluminum.

[Modified by Flareside, 8:27 AM 2/13/2002]
Old 02-13-2002, 01:31 PM
Lohkay
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Re: Intake Manifolds HELP! (Flareside)

hey bence. I'm doing the same with my torker II on my SBC....didn't start working on it yet since I'm more focused on prepping the block. But its on my schedule. I thought a lot about it and I think if you port match the torker and maybe add some material at the base (so its not flat), it would end up being a nice intake....just my opinion tho. Anyway...I don't think you'll lose 50hp just because of that.
Old 02-13-2002, 03:50 PM
mountainmotor
Drifting

Default Re: Intake Manifolds HELP! (Lohkay)

Quote:
"Talk to mountainmotor, he's modified a few Torkers to work better."

Yep. Yep I have
:D
Old 02-13-2002, 04:33 PM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You could get a taller intake & a L-88 hood & the hood painted to match the car & the car painted to match the hood, etc...
As the founder of Lear Jet once said about big jets "After awhile even wall to wall girls is no substitute for getting there." He built fast jets.

Concentrate on building it well & getting it running. No matter what you do, you will be back on the forum asking what's next. If you are like some :cool: of us, there is no end.

:cool:

Get notified of new replies

To Intake Manifolds HELP!

Quick Reply: Intake Manifolds HELP!