C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does this sound more like a Master Cylinder problem rather than rotor runout?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2002, 05:47 PM
Golden80
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Does this sound more like a Master Cylinder problem rather than rotor runout?

The fluid stays level in the cylinder and there's no leaks anywhere. If I pump the brakes with the car off it gets stiffer and stays stiff. With the engine running and the car parked I can pump up the brakes and the pedal gets stiff. I quit pumping and let the car run for a few seconds and then press on the pedal again. It's back to being squishy and the brake light instantly comes on. I'm thinking since the cars running and the power brake booster and master cyl are getting power that they might be the culprit since the wheels aren't turning.

BTW...I also got my turn signals working again! :) :) Turned out that one of the bulbs was defective.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 02-12-2002, 05:54 PM
0Mike69@ECS
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: Does this sound more like a Master Cylinder problem rather than rotor runout? (Golden80)

Pwer Brakes??? I thinking Booster but I could definately be wrong??? I hope so they arn't cheap! :cheers:
Old 02-12-2002, 06:14 PM
PatG
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Does this sound more like a Master Cylinder problem rather than rotor runout? (Golden80)

Those symptoms sound very similar to what happened when my master cylinder went out (twice). The brake was very soft and brake light came on. Pump them a couple more times and it would firm up and light would go out. I beleive that if the booster was out the brake pedal would be very hard right from the top.

The other day I started my pickup and immediately began going down a spiral parking garage ramp, basically gotta ride the brakes all the way down. The motor was cold and died and I had to really stomp the pedal to get the truck to stop.
Old 02-12-2002, 06:21 PM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

These symptoms sound exactly like those that I had in my 72 Corvette, my 77 Buick and my 79 Mercedes. All of them were fixed with a master cylinder rebuild. All of this happened in the last three years.
Gary
Old 02-12-2002, 10:57 PM
bigvette1
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It sure sounds like the master cyl. is leaking internally and not holding up. A rebuild is not too much. Just benchbleed it out before installation, or you will never get a hard peddle. Good luck.
Old 02-12-2002, 10:57 PM
Rockn-Roll
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would first flush the system with new brake fluid, then bleed the brakes.
Old 02-12-2002, 11:04 PM
Golden80
Race Director

Default Re: Does this sound more like a Master Cylinder problem rather than rotor runout? (Rockn-Roll)

I would first flush the system with new brake fluid, then bleed the brakes.
Well I have a new Master Cylinder that I bought last February but never installed. I'll just put the new one in and flush the entire system. I think I'm going to make one of those "Po' Boy" brake pressure bleeder from here too: http://www.bmw-m.net/TechProc/bleeder.htm

Matt
Old 02-13-2002, 02:38 PM
One GM A Tech
Pro

Now all we need is a pwr brake bleeder that you can use on the older style master with metal cap

Get notified of new replies

To Does this sound more like a Master Cylinder problem rather than rotor runout?

Quick Reply: Does this sound more like a Master Cylinder problem rather than rotor runout?