C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheesiest ricer trick on a Mercedes!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2002, 03:41 PM
gearheadz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Cheesiest ricer trick on a Mercedes!!!

Now I think I've seen every cheesy thing there is to see on a car! Today I saw a brand new, very nice, probably $100K Mercedes with these wheels that have some kind of spinner the diameter of the wheels that freewheels when the car is sitting still. What a rig! Hope I'm not offending anyone but you would think someone that has the $$$ and the class to drive a Mercedes would leave that kind of crap to the ricers!

Mark
Old 02-12-2002, 03:47 PM
dladd74roadster
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Cheesiest ricer trick on a Mercedes!!! (mdsmith)

Actually, it doesn't take class or a lot of money to drive a Mercedes. It only takes enough income to make a lease payment. You can make a lease payment by delivering pizzas on the side. Hence, the reason you see such stupid modifications to a $100k car. They have no perception of what the car is worth. What I mean is that they don't see it as a $100k car, they see it as a $600 or $700 lease payment.

I am like you, these clown never cease to amaze me.

dl
Old 02-12-2002, 03:52 PM
gearheadz
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Cheesiest ricer trick on a Mercedes!!! (dladd74roadster)

Guess you're right, class has nothing to do with it. If it was, that junk wouldn't be on the car.

Mark
Old 02-12-2002, 03:59 PM
dladd74roadster
Burning Brakes

The ironic thing is that while they don't see the car as a $100k car, they HOPE everyone else does. The problem is that nobody is really impressed with by what others drive. Cars don't carry nearly as much status as they used to. The reason is that you don't have to buy the damn thing anymore in order to drive it. I see somebody driving a big S-Class Mercedes and unless either the driver or passenger is 60+ and/or has blue hair, I figure the person is leasing and trying to look important. If someone wants to impress me, they can drive up in a Mercedes S600 with the title taped to the window. Then I'll give them due respect. Until then, I just shake my head knowing that they will someday learn that other people's perception isn't worth making stupid financial decisions for.

dl
Old 02-12-2002, 04:58 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts

Now I think I've seen every cheesy thing there is to see on a car! Today I saw a brand new, very nice, probably $100K Mercedes with these wheels that have some kind of spinner the diameter of the wheels that freewheels when the car is sitting still. What a rig! Hope I'm not offending anyone but you would think someone that has the $$$ and the class to drive a Mercedes would leave that kind of crap to the ricers!

Mark
Dude that is the "HIP" Thing to do now.........Rolling on "dubs".....Those wheels are also VERY EXPENSIVE...Like around 2k for a set :U
Old 02-13-2002, 12:17 AM
gearheadz
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Cheesiest ricer trick on a Mercedes!!! (Alwyn678)

Dude that is the "HIP" Thing to do now.........Rolling on "dubs".....Those wheels are also VERY EXPENSIVE...Like around 2k for a set :U
$2K? :lol: Looks bush and the idiot dropped a couple of grand on them in the process. Pure genius!
Old 02-13-2002, 12:41 AM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

" probably $100K Mercedes with these wheels that have some kind of spinner the diameter of the wheels that freewheels when the car is sitting still."

Mark
No, that is an option on the new Mercedes. It is called a "Self Balancing Inertia Wheel Weight System" to be standard on the C6. Also has a mini-cam that photograghs the sidewall of the tire for any "curb damage" that will be displayed on the OnStar screen plus a low pressure visual alarm system. Lets you know when you have a flat.
Old 02-13-2002, 02:11 AM
Jenny
Burning Brakes

The ironic thing is that while they don't see the car as a $100k car, they HOPE everyone else does. The problem is that nobody is really impressed with by what others drive. Cars don't carry nearly as much status as they used to. The reason is that you don't have to buy the damn thing anymore in order to drive it. I see somebody driving a big S-Class Mercedes and unless either the driver or passenger is 60+ and/or has blue hair, I figure the person is leasing and trying to look important. If someone wants to impress me, they can drive up in a Mercedes S600 with the title taped to the window. Then I'll give them due respect. Until then, I just shake my head knowing that they will someday learn that other people's perception isn't worth making stupid financial decisions for.

dl
I completely disagree. for instance, Anand Drives a brand new Porsche 911... and no, he's not leasing it, he paid cash for it.. i've known him since Middle School and ate lunch with him every day through highschool. I Know peole think he's driving dad's car, or that it's leased,not so. Now if i see some thug w/ gold wheels thumping an S Class i'll have my reservations. Give credit where credit is due. And oh yeah.. this is anand: http://www.anandtech.com
Old 02-13-2002, 02:54 AM
Corellian Corvette
Drifting

Default Re: Cheesiest ricer trick on a Mercedes!!! (Jenny)

What's wrong with leasing? If you're the kind of person who trades in a car every few years it's not a bad deal. And, if you can get a car that holds it's value people can make some money on the deal. :)

Too keep it on topic, I do know what you mean in this case. It's one thing to lease if it's the smart financial thing to do -- it's another to lease so you can overextend the kind of car you drive.

I chose to lease my C5 because the residual value was, IMO, far less than the car will be worth at the end of the lease. At that point, I can decide to keep the car, or sell it, or trade it in on a new one (my likely choice if the C6 is nice). In the last 5 years I've had 3 cars because I get bored quickly. I was loosing money trading them in so quickly so I decided to lease this time.
Old 02-13-2002, 12:01 PM
gearheadz
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Cheesiest ricer trick on a Mercedes!!! (Paul Borowski)

No, that is an option on the new Mercedes. It is called a "Self Balancing Inertia Wheel Weight System" to be standard on the C6. Also has a mini-cam that photograghs the sidewall of the tire for any "curb damage" that will be displayed on the OnStar screen plus a low pressure visual alarm system. Lets you know when you have a flat.
Paul, this was not a C-class (looked like one of the AMG types maybe CL55) & the wheels were not Mercedes factory wheels. Even so, I could never imagine anything so "overstated" on a production German vehicle. I suspect these were purely for show...as is most ricer stuff.

[Modified by mdsmith, 11:01 AM 2/13/2002]
Old 02-13-2002, 12:26 PM
jimduchek
Racer

Paul, this was not a C-class (looked like one of the AMG types maybe CL55) & the wheels were not Mercedes factory wheels. Even so, I could never imagine anything so "overstated" on a production German vehicle. I suspect these were purely for show...as is most ricer stuff.

[Modified by mdsmith, 11:01 AM 2/13/2002]
I think, my man, he was pullin' your chain... :)

Jim

:cheers:
Old 02-13-2002, 01:05 PM
dladd74roadster
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Cheesiest ricer trick on a Mercedes!!! (Jenny)

Jenny, I think you misunderstood me. I feel the same way you do....and that is, hey, if you can afford to pay for an expensive car, then by all means go for it. I don't have a problem in the world with that. My problem is with these posers who can cover a lease payment trying to impress people with their ride. Perhaps I have become jaded but America has become a credit society therefore cars aren't the status symbol that they used to be.

Also, the only thing wrong with a lease is that TYPICALLY you end up upside down on it before the lease runs out. If you lease a car and come out on top, great.

dl
Old 02-13-2002, 01:10 PM
thejaf
Melting Slicks

Well, a couple months ago, I saw a fart pipe on a late 1970's 240D. I think that takes the ricecake :yesnod:
Old 02-13-2002, 01:28 PM
vethead
Drifting

Some of the posts to this thread talk about giving the guy respect since he has a Mercedes. Who cares what he drives. I have met some people with Mercedes, Porsches, and Vettes, who are absolute losers. If you are a jerk, no amount of money makes you respectable. Just ranting.
Old 02-13-2002, 04:10 PM
Mark69
Instructor

If I want to ride in a Mercedes I call a taxi. I know, that does not work in the U.S. but 90% of all german taxies are Mercedes Benz. :lol:
Old 02-13-2002, 05:19 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: Cheesiest ricer trick on a Mercedes!!! (Mark69)

Yes, I have been to Europe several times and was amazed to see that the luxury car of North America is a taxi favourite in Europe. I believe it is for reliability, particularly the diesel version.
Old 02-13-2002, 07:07 PM
gearheadz
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Cheesiest ricer trick on a Mercedes!!! (jimduchek)

I think, my man, he was pullin' your chain... :)

Jim

:cheers:
Guess I should have read the post more carefully...DUH!! :bb

Get notified of new replies

To Cheesiest ricer trick on a Mercedes!!!

Old 02-13-2002, 07:33 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 512 Likes on 312 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

Wealth never does, nor the amount of income ever dictates the level of intelligence or class. :bs
Old 02-13-2002, 08:27 PM
CWUin82
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Cheesiest ricer trick on a Mercedes!!! (killain)

Wealth never does, nor the amount of income ever dictates the level of intelligence or class. :bs
.......so very true.....
Old 02-13-2002, 08:48 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Re: Cheesiest ricer trick on a Mercedes!!! (CWUin82)

Saw an S500 with those on today driving home. Next to it for several lights. It is weird. Really catches your eye. Don't know that I like it though.

Quick Reply: Cheesiest ricer trick on a Mercedes!!!