C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Luggage Rack Question (and a t-top carrier opinion solicitation)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2002, 11:49 AM
Monkeywrench
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Luggage Rack Question (and a t-top carrier opinion solicitation)

I've been looking into the t-top carriers and I know that you need the 8 vs 6 hole rack. Now I have the 8 hole rack but only 6 hole sin the car. The two support "posts" (the part that connects the rack to the car) are missing on the two positions closest and on either side of the gas filler. I assume somebody added this at a lter date and was afraid to drill that close to the tank.

So is there any reason on a '71 that I couldn't drill those holes? I assume I'd have to (want to) drop the tank to make sure I didn't hit it but is there any interfernce I would have with the tank once the rack was bolted in.

BTW, I've been looking at a bunch of old threads and it seems that nobody repros the rack carriers. I've looked at some photos and it doesn't look too hard to fab some up. Would this be something people would be interested in. I'm a mechanical engineer and I design parts like this all day. I don't think it would cost more than $150-$175 to make them in volume (maybe less?) Adding a way to lock the tops in would be a nice feature too...Any comments?

An afterthough....does anyone have a set that they don't have mounted and would be willing to lend me for a bit so I could get some dimensions? I'll return 'em I promise (maybe a security deposit?) :D

[Modified by Monkeywrench, 5:13 PM 2/12/2002]
Old 02-12-2002, 12:20 PM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Luggage Rack Question (Monkeywrench)

My guesstimate is that they did not want to put holes in the body. Would not be afraid to drill w/o removing the tank (or posting). Still you might have to remove the gas tank to add the nuts under. Have them & the design is fine, i.e. if it works great why change it. So all that's needed is copy which would make a larger market as the NCRS guys would buy.
Old 02-12-2002, 12:25 PM
john73bb
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Luggage Rack Question (Ganey)

There are no nuts required underneath. You can get the mounting hardware, which is basically some rubber things with the nuts mounted in them. You push it through the hole, and run a screw down into it to cinch it up tight. You should be able to do this without dropping the tank.
The following users liked this post:
xCCTer (03-06-2021)
Old 02-12-2002, 07:12 PM
BeaterShark
Drifting

Monkeywrench, I'd love some t-top carriers if they will fit my rack (I'm not sure that I have the pins to make them work). I don't think there is a big desire for these. First, you need the correct rack. Then you need to feel confident that they are going to hold the tops on cruising down the hwy.
Old 02-12-2002, 11:14 PM
Monkeywrench
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Luggage Rack Question (Chris A)

I started thinking a bit more about this and I think I could figure out a way to modify the design to fit the 6 hole rack too. I know the current design needs the pins but hey that's what improvement is for right?

As for concern as to the tops flying off I have spoken to several guys that have no problems at interstate speeds.

So if anyone has a set to lend to me I'll make it worth your time and trust.... :D
Old 02-13-2002, 01:31 AM
AlwaysWave
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran

You can do what I did. I mounted an 8 hole on my 72. I bought and placed a piece of 1/32 clear plastic sheet over the deck lid area and then placed the rack (without the standowns) on top.
Position it.
Then tape the edges of the plastic to the car.
Then transfer the holes through to the plastic. I used a scriber.
Then mark the masking tape already on the car for plastic position.
Take the plastic off.
Put masking tape on the to be drilled areas.
Reattach the plastic template.
Drill.
Old 02-13-2002, 03:58 PM
Monkeywrench
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Luggage Rack Question (AlwaysWave)

OK guys here's the rack... just waiting for a sample of the carriers to draw up and sell cheap.... (probably shouldn't hold my breath hunh?)

Old 02-13-2002, 04:55 PM
john73bb
Racer

Nice drawing.

What I want, is one that will hinge at the front so you can lift the whole thiing to put gas in without removing the tops. The tops also needs to clamp to the holder using the existing clamps on the t-tops. Then I need a lock cylinder attached to a cam that will push out a couple of spring loaded bolts to hold the latches from being opened. It will then need some sort of latch at the back to hold the back of the tops to the rack (the fronts being held by the hinge. And, it needs to cost only about $100 or so. See what you can do. :)
Old 02-13-2002, 05:05 PM
Monkeywrench
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Luggage Rack Question (john73bb)

(insert countless ideas that will cost millions here) See what you can do. :)
:lol: Just kidding

Actually that's a good idea. I had a Honda Del Sol and the targa top slid into a rack in the trunk that was hinged that allowed you to still access the trunk without taking he top out.

Now the question is.. I could design one like this (which none of the "purists" would buy) or a copy of the original...decisions, decisions

[Modified by Monkeywrench, 4:05 PM 2/13/2002]
Old 02-13-2002, 06:58 PM
Ganey
Race Director

Default Re: Luggage Rack Question (Chris A)

Chris

They stay on at 100+ cruise.

Old 02-13-2002, 07:04 PM
john73bb
Racer

Purist Schmurist :D I say, make a better mousetrap. The reason GM didn't make that many could be that it wasn't that useful. If I had to take the tops off every time I needed to fill up with gas, on a trip for instance, I don't think I would use it that much. Especially on a big block where you have to fill up with gas more often than you have to take a breath. :p:
Old 02-13-2002, 09:04 PM
Binnie77
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it would be virtually impossible to hinge them as the roof panels protrude so far up towards the back window. You could not hinge a rack so that it would lift high enough to get at the gas cap anyway. You only need to remove one panel to get at the filler cap. I just lay the panel on the roof while I am filling up. I don't think you ever need to worry about the panels coming off the rack at any speed. I have driven 100+ mph for short spurts and I still have my roof panels and my driver's license...can't say that for the box of kleenex though :D
Old 02-14-2002, 09:06 AM
Monkeywrench
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Luggage Rack Question (Binnie77)

I think it would be virtually impossible to hinge them as the roof panels protrude so far up towards the back window.
OK, so we hinge them the other way. So they flip backwards. Why not, the hood is backwards, why not the "trunk lid" too? :lol:

[Modified by Monkeywrench, 8:06 AM 2/14/2002]
Old 02-14-2002, 10:54 AM
john73bb
Racer

Good idea! Or mount the hinge point up under the front of the tops rather than at the luggage rack.

You got it built yet Monkeywrench? I'm ready for mine :)

[Modified by john73bb, 6:55 AM 2/14/2002]
Old 02-14-2002, 11:01 AM
Monkeywrench
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Luggage Rack Question (john73bb)

Good idea! Or mount the hinge point up under the front of the tops rather than at the luggage rack.
Patience my friend... I need to draw up a t-top now (yikes :eek: )

That ought to be interesting considering they are curved and all. I need to set my a indicator and measure some point on the tops before I can look at making a hinged rack. I'll post some stuff as I get to it...

Now how much would you pay for a product like this $19.99, $29.99? We are offering this unique product for only 10 payment of $100,000 each.. that's right send in your bank account # and name of your first born .... OK maybe the marketing guys needs to work on that.. :D
Old 02-14-2002, 11:06 AM
john73bb
Racer

$100 per month for 10 months would be a bargain if you are also willing to take my first born :crazy: (he is 20 and in college) :lol:
Old 02-14-2002, 11:10 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Monkeywrench

Some of these guys are too easy to please. I'm holding out for a fast motorized version. At high speeds one has to stop for gas every few minutes. But w/ the tops off one arrives near deaf, so I leave the T-Tops on for long runs.

:cool:

Get notified of new replies

To Luggage Rack Question (and a t-top carrier opinion solicitation)

Old 02-14-2002, 11:35 AM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

I'm not in love with the luggage rack look. But I'd put one on if you came up with a mount that would securely store the tops even with the rear window out. One that uses no bungies or straps but rather the stock latching mech.
Old 02-14-2002, 11:42 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Default Re: Luggage Rack Question (lbell101)

I'm not in love with the luggage rack look. But I'd put one on if you came up with a mount that would securely store the tops even with the rear window out. One that uses no bungies or straps but rather the stock latching mech.
I am the Opposite..I think it (the Rack ) looks AWESOME
The following users liked this post:
xCCTer (03-06-2021)
Old 02-14-2002, 11:49 AM
BeaterShark
Drifting

Default Re: Luggage Rack Question (Alwyn678)

Monkeywrench, I'd probably be willing to pay $100 for brackets that work without the locating pins. I'd probably be willing to pay more, but I'd have to wait a while (maybe until X-mas) due to my current tight budget. I don't care if I have to remove a top to fill the tank.

I have been thinking about buying the t-top receiving hardware off of EBay or something and trying to fab up some sort of brackets which would bolt to the rack so the tops would fit the carrier like they fit the roof.

Quick Reply: Luggage Rack Question (and a t-top carrier opinion solicitation)