C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric Fan connection to Fuse Box

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2002, 09:36 PM
69stingray
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Electric Fan connection to Fuse Box

Hello all, I am installing my elelctric Spal fan (finally). I have come to the part in which I have to connect it to the fuse box. Where should I do this?? It needs a line that is on when the motor is on but not on in ascry. mode. Which fuse should I use? How should I make the connection? I picture myself shorting out my entire electrical system....

Thanks for your help.

By the way, how do you post images?
Old 02-12-2002, 12:14 AM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Electric Fan connection to Fuse Box (69stingray)

Greetings!

When I installed mine (project car) the were several wires runnning from the relay and to the fan:

1 wire to a constant hot (To Relay)
1 wire to accessory so comes on with key (To relay)
1 ground (to Relay)
2 wires to the thermostat/switch (hot and ground - From Relay to Thermo)
2 wires to the fan (hot and ground - from Relay)

If you have a tester (simple $2 poker with a bulb in it works and available at most auto parts stores), you can check the fuse box and find the constant hot and accsry.

[Modified by 78Vette-SA, 11:20 PM 2/11/2002]
Old 02-12-2002, 03:55 PM
69stingray
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Electric Fan connection to Fuse Box (78Vette-SA)

Thanks 78vette, should I use the posts in the middle of the fuse box, these post (for quick connector) look like the only area to add wires to the fuse box. All others wires ahve been run. From my relay I have one ground, one running to the hot on the fan itself, one running to the hot on the battery (@starter) and one running to the temperature sensor. The fuse box one is the last one required. :rolleyes:
Old 02-12-2002, 04:47 PM
71roadster
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Electric Fan connection to Fuse Box (69stingray)

There are terminals in the center of your fuse box that are marked accy, ign, bat etc. For the fan, I used the ign terminal from the fuse box but I ran a large gage wire from the starter to the relay to supply the actual power to the fan. My kit came with a circuit breaker so the fan suppy wiring won't be overloaded. I would be concerned about running a 30 amp fan off of the factory harness, which is why I ran the wire from the starter.

You may need a tester to figure out which terminal is which on the fuse box as even up there it gets dirty and crusty, and for some reason my accy terminal doesn't work so a tester will verify the terminal.

good luck
chris

Get notified of new replies

To Electric Fan connection to Fuse Box

Quick Reply: Electric Fan connection to Fuse Box