C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to forum. I come sporting a big headache ...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2002, 08:56 PM
SleekLines
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to forum. I come sporting a big headache ...

Greetings everyone. Thought I'd take a moment to say hello. I currently do not own a Corvette, however I'm looking to change that. :D

Below you'll see 2 pictures of a pending project that I'm considering taking on. Properly deemed project "Basket Case" by one of my friends. :yesnod: This would be my first Vette. I believe it is a 1980 Vette. Originally dark blue, however the last owner had a very poor black paint job put over top. (Didn't even do door jams) The car had a SB 350 w/automatic. The engine has been removed and was put into a Opel for strip racing. So for $1000 I can purchase what you see below and attempt to bring her back to life. :jester

If anyone can provide info on good parts suppliers I would greatly appreciate it. Doesn't look like this project is going to come cheap. :crazy: But in the end, it's all about pride. (I guess :lol: )
Old 02-11-2002, 09:15 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: New to forum. I come sporting a big headache ... (SleekLines)

Wow, you are very courageous! And your last comment (about not coming cheap) does show some insight. I was going to say that at $1000, this project appears to be about $7000 overpriced! :eek: :eek: :eek:
MJ
Old 02-11-2002, 09:16 PM
MIKER
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

If you buy that one, part it out and use the money to buy a better one to start with.
Seriously.

Mike
Old 02-11-2002, 09:17 PM
VTHokie77Vette
Racer

Well.... That is a heck of a project you have on your hands, but anything can be done if you have the money. Some part distributors that I deal with are Zip Corvettes and Ecklers. You'll find links to both on this site. Good luck and keep us up-to-date with your work.
Old 02-12-2002, 12:11 AM
Cruzmeisters
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

SleekLines: from Monroeville, huh? I'm from Holiday Park :yesnod: Welcome to the Forum :cheers: You'll get your questions answered here ;)
Cruz
Old 02-12-2002, 12:24 AM
SleekLines
Intermediate

Default Re: New to forum. I come sporting a big headache ... (Cruzmeisters)

:lol: Wow, you're pretty close to home, Cruz. Gonna be crusing those Chili's car shows this year ? :)

Still debating over the project at hand. I've searched the web for part resources, prices, etc. Not easy to find project cars here in PA. (Well, at least not where I've been looking. :) )

Well, off to surf some more parts listings. Cheers ! :cheers:

-Sleek
Old 02-12-2002, 12:29 AM
0Mike69@ECS
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Holy crap! :eek:

Well... how much money and time do you have???? :eek:

The parts are out there but if the frame and what ever else lurk underneeth that rotting shell are somewhat solid I guess it's dooable.

Man I thought I had problems!!! :eek:
Old 02-12-2002, 12:29 AM
Tomcat
Intermediate

Ditto what those guys said. I think there are Corvettes out there that are so beat up, you could invest more to fix them up than what they will ever be worth, even if you got the car for free. Depends on the year, too, I guess.
TC
Old 02-12-2002, 12:30 AM
rambler323
Burning Brakes

I have earned a reputation with my friends for biting off much more than I can chew....but you sir....wow....you must have a 10 pounds set of cajones...

GOOD LUCK!! :seeya
Old 02-12-2002, 12:33 AM
HawkIVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Sleeklines,

Welcome to the forum.
My advise is to pass on this one. Even if you got it free, by the time you put in an engine, tranny and all other (suspension, brakes, fuel lines, exhaust, tires, interior, and paint) parts, you would have too much money into the car than what it is worth, not even to mention the labor, wheather it is your own or others($$$$$$).
Go find a driveable vette that has somewhat been taken care of for the last few years( at least been driven lately), and spend a little more. You should be able to get a decent Vette for $5,000 to $7,000 and you'd be alot better of in the long run.
Old 02-12-2002, 12:34 AM
0Mike69@ECS
Former Vendor

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: New to forum. I come sporting a big headache ... (rambler323)

BTW... I forgot to ask are they paying you the 1000 bucks or vice versa???
Old 02-12-2002, 12:34 AM
SleekLines
Intermediate

Default Re: New to forum. I come sporting a big headache ... (Mike69)

Well, I've definately got the time. Err, well evenings and weekends anyway. :)

Money on the otherhand is going to be my main obstacle. I'd have to break this project down and do smaller projects as money permits. Of course in the back of my mind I'm not looking forward to having to wait 2-5 years to drive the thing. Almost reminds me of being a kid at Xmas. :)

Okay, back to my research.

-Sleek
Old 02-12-2002, 12:35 AM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For less money then you will spend fixing it up, even if you do the work yourself and assuming the frame and other parts you can't see are restorable, you could buy one today in pristine condition and be driving tomorrow.

Then again, you'd miss all the fun and comraderie here on the forum! :cheers:

Good luck and keep usposted.
Old 02-12-2002, 12:37 AM
1Bad69
Safety Car

whoa...that looks like a lot of work and time...you might be better off taking the money that you arre going to use to fix that and buy something already half decent....
Old 02-12-2002, 12:41 AM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

PLEASE!! Pass on this one, I don't know you, but I think one like that could absolutely break your spirit and turn you into a Corvette hater instead of a Corvette lover! I'm afraid it is too far gone for rescue, no telling what is hiding under that scabby black exterior. You could be looking at many thousands of dollars spent trying to bring that one back to life, you'd be better off spending the thousand dollars on lottery scratch off's. At best that car is a donor for a real Corvette project.
You are much better off buying as much car as you can afford, there are a lot of people out there that buy a Corvette, sink thousands into it, then sell it because they just run out of money or steam. Then they sell it for a small portion of what they have invested in it, buy one of those, not this basket case.
Old 02-12-2002, 12:55 AM
0Mike69@ECS
Former Vendor

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: New to forum. I come sporting a big headache ... (78Vette-SA)

Well if you are serious lets see what we can guestimate from the pics... (very little really but I think we can imagine)

My biggest fear is the frame - the way the tops are tweaked it's not looking too happy. A used frame in decent shape should be anywhere from 1400 - 2500.
It looks like you are going to need an entire front clip. Figure on 600-800 used. At least a driverside fender which yoou might beable to pick up for 200 somewhere.
Headlight assemblies - around 400 used
Full interior - 1700 maybe??? again used
Full brake job - 800 if the master is ok. Remanufactured.
Rims and tires - you might beable to snag a used set of the forum for 500 -700???
From where it's wrecked it will prob need a radiator - 300 - 400 bucks

Depending on how long it's sitting it's going to need a bunch of new lines, possiably a new gas tank, maybe a new windshield frame. - add I dunno maybe 2k in Misc stuff - vacuum lines, gaskets, front end conponets, electrical problems from the weather ect...

thats somewere in the neighborhood of 8300 beans + the thousand you will have to spend for the title + any towing charges.

So it's atleat 10,000 car without paint and you dont know if the drivetrain is functional. I doubt it!!!

Dont get me wrong I'd love to see that car revived. is it doable yes ... feasible is a whole nother story!!! :eek:

For parts you can check out http://www.contemporarycorvettes.com Tell em Mike sent ya!!!! (Ron would love me!!!!!) :cheers:

I forgot to say I hope you have a killer set of tools and are really really really good with your hands!!!

[Modified by Mike69, 11:57 PM 2/11/2002]
Old 02-12-2002, 01:57 AM
SleekLines
Intermediate

Default Re: New to forum. I come sporting a big headache ... (Mike69)

Well, I'm not that bull headed you guys :) I'm definately going to pass on this one. I guess I originally thought that the end result would be worth the time and money invested into it. But now I see otherwise.

Guess I'll start searching for something better. Thanks for all the feedback. Much appreciated. :)

Get notified of new replies

To New to forum. I come sporting a big headache ...

Old 02-12-2002, 03:38 AM
Mr.Gearhead
Burning Brakes

Like everyone stated, this is not a project.. IT WOULD BE A NIGHTMARE. Could it be saved? Sure anything can be saved for the right amount of money. Look at it this way, to buy a car this far gone would only leave you broke, mad and further away from your Corvette dream car!
I read that most new corvette owners buy the first one they see. BAD IDEA! Walk away and then sleep on it a couple days. There are a lot of Vettes out there for sale... hopefully you will get it from someone who loves the cars as much as we (forum) do! good luck! :D
Old 02-12-2002, 06:27 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My advise to newcomers to the hobby is to buy the nicest Corvette you can on whatever your budget is, rather than trying to fix/rebuild one. Yes the parts are there but some vary in price and quality. It is easy to go way over budget and still not have a "nice ride". You first Corvette should be a learner (but not a basket case) so you can see what it is all about. If you enjoy the cars and the people then you can take on a project with more knowledge, and avoid the pitfalls of the hobby. :cheers:
Old 02-12-2002, 06:38 AM
blackLS1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: New to forum. I come sporting a big headache ... (Mr.Gearhead)

That vette scared me bad. :eek:

Quick Reply: New to forum. I come sporting a big headache ...