C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTF? gears

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2002, 08:25 PM
boredsoIstrokedit
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF? gears

I want to get 4:88 gears for my 80, but am told i need a different carrier for anything above 3:92. I can use the gears from a standard dana 44, but no spacers, as there is not room and they don't make them. Richmond and DTS tell me that a carrier from a dana 44 will not work in my rearend, because the journal bearings or something are different size. Does anybody know who makes a reasonable (read cheap) carrier that will work for a Dana 44 80 corvette rear end that is compatible with 4:88 gears?
Old 02-12-2002, 07:41 AM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: WTF? gears (chuckb01)

Check out Tom's Differentials, they make a 12 bolt chevy rear differential that suppose to keep the independant rear suspension. It's not cheap at ~$2500 but it's the strongest you can put under a C3 and may get your 4.88 gear ratio.

A better option may be an overdrive transmission with a low 1st gear so you don't need such a low ratio gear for performance, but still have crusing ability also. If you have an automatic, check out Bowtie Overdrives 700R4, their 1st gear is suppose to be incredible for neck snapping acceleration. :)
Old 02-13-2002, 05:19 PM
boredsoIstrokedit
Racer

I have an overdrive transmission, actually double overdrive (T56) going in. The reason I want that steep of gears is so I retain
cruising RPM of around 2200 at 70mph. I really am not interested in spending gobs of money, and the strength
is not that important now, but I do need to get a different posi carrier as the 3.07 will not work well with the tranny
imo. If anybody knows where to get them, or perhaps how to make mine fit, their help would be appreciated
Old 02-18-2002, 04:16 AM
boredsoIstrokedit
Racer

ttt

Get notified of new replies

To WTF? gears

Quick Reply: WTF? gears