C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Chemists Out There? Stem Seals

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2002, 10:33 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Any Chemists Out There? Stem Seals

Following on from the thread on valve stem seals, I have tried to find the best available. It seems to boil down to fluoropolymer and fluoroelastomer materials. The former seems to be teflon. I am not familiar with the latter. What is the difference between these two materials?
Old 02-12-2002, 11:21 PM
kenincanada
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Any Chemists Out There? Stem Seals (paul79)

Well Paul, I guess those materials arent used when manufactoring Angel Dust, PCP, Crack, ETC. :lol:
Old 02-12-2002, 11:32 PM
Noel Carboni
Pro

Well, I didn't get into molecular analysis, but last buildup I did this:

1. Machined the valve guide ends.
2. Installed teflon PC seals.
3. Installed umbrella seals.

Yep. Two different types of seals at the same time. The umbrella seals just fit over the teflon seals and inside the 3 piece springs. I believe they go up and down with the valves and keep the majority of the oil off the teflon seals.

I have iron heads and no valve guide inserts (i.e., the guides are holes through the iron).

Seems to work.

-Noel
Old 02-13-2002, 09:25 AM
68 Magnum
Heel & Toe

Quick answer - Teflon and fluoroelastomers are both fluoropolymers and I can't give you an answer as to which is best for your application.

Fluoropolymer and fluoroelastomer are interchangeable terms as far as we are concerned with valve seals. A fluoropolymer's physical properties could range from gas to brittle solid whereas flouroelastomer describes a flouropolymer with rubber-like physical properties. Viton is a well known flouroelastomer name suitable for use in seals of this type.

Teflon is a trade name for a flouropolymer. The word teflon has such a nice reputation with the general public that it is often used inappropriately to give the buyer a warm fuzzy feeling.

Scott

And yes, I am one of those supercool chess playing, El Camino driving chemists that supermodels are always hounding for dates. (Uh - do I need a smiley here?)

Old 02-13-2002, 09:41 AM
topless68
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Any Chemists Out There? Stem Seals (68 Magnum)

Quick answer - Teflon and fluoroelastomers are both fluoropolymers and I can't give you an answer as to which is best for your application.

Fluoropolymer and fluoroelastomer are interchangeable terms as far as we are concerned with valve seals. A fluoropolymer's physical properties could range from gas to brittle solid whereas flouroelastomer describes a flouropolymer with rubber-like physical properties. Viton is a well known flouroelastomer name suitable for use in seals of this type.

Teflon is a trade name for a flouropolymer. The word teflon has such a nice reputation with the general public that it is often used inappropriately to give the buyer a warm fuzzy feeling.

Scott

And yes, I am one of those supercool chess playing, El Camino driving chemists that supermodels are always hounding for dates. (Uh - do I need a smiley here?)
Old 02-13-2002, 09:54 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: Any Chemists Out There? Stem Seals (68 Magnum)

Thanks. That explains the difference between Viton and Teflon.
Old 02-13-2002, 10:51 AM
Ingar, Norway
Racer

I installed Felpro seals a year ago and after 6k miles no problems, I had lots of blue smoke at startup before.
Inlet is made of a rubber like material (viton?) and the outlet of nylon, both are of the umbrella type. The original O-rings are also included in the set and should be used.

Get notified of new replies

To Any Chemists Out There? Stem Seals

Quick Reply: Any Chemists Out There? Stem Seals