C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accelerator cable

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2002, 11:44 PM
andyg
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Accelerator cable

I was taking off my carb to send to Lars and noticed a problem with my accelerator linkage. At WOT, the cable has a slight bend in the cable. I have noticed in the past that if I WOT the cable release seems to hesetate for a fraction of a second. I am assuming this is why and I should repair it. Can I replace just the cable, or does the whole casing and cable come as one unit? Is replacing the cable difficult in my '69 with 4 barrel? Just curious on the procedure since the books I have do not show its replacment in any great detail. Thanks.

--Andy
Old 02-11-2002, 03:40 AM
jaggeedfire
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Accelerator cable (andyg)

Im having similar problems...except mine is sticking all over...is this repairable or have to be replaced??
Old 02-11-2002, 04:10 AM
kenincanada
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Accelerator cable (jaggeedfire)

they are not repairable
Old 02-11-2002, 04:36 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Accelerator cable (andyg)

Some years ago when changing over to TPI on my car, I noticed the original cable was frayed on the pedal end, where it ran though the housing, I assumed being 27 years old or so, that it was just age....
RONG....in fact when recently changing pedal positions and moving floorboard forward 2.5 inches, the replacement slip cable was frayed in same spot...
and in fact upon close exam, I found the position of the snap ring in the pedal tip that holds the cable swaged end was about 1/2 inch too high, and pulled the cable through wearing a slot in the firewall metal shroud tip/end piece with the bolt in it....and frayed the cable in doing so....again....
so the only thing to stop this from happening again was to file the pedal rod tip/end with a dremel tool, to lower that tip/clip....it was in fact a factory defect....mine was probably not the only car with the problem....

at any rate, the entire cable assy was replaced with another one from a junkyard, and better works with the TPI system now anyway.....sour grapes....

GENE :D :cool: :smash:

Get notified of new replies

To Accelerator cable

Quick Reply: Accelerator cable