C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another auto to 5/6spd question!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2002, 10:34 PM
Brett K
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Another auto to 5/6spd question!

I was just wondering if a 5 or 6 speed from another GM car will work to replace my TH400...like an F-Body or mid to late c4. I am just trying to figure a way to do the conversion without killing my budget on the swap. Has anyone done this and what was required? I figure if I start searching now I can hunt down a used one.
Old 02-11-2002, 06:14 AM
boredsoIstrokedit
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Another auto to 5/6spd question! (Brett K)

I am just starting to undertake this swap. I am waiting on my tranny to arrive, but maybe we can help eachother out. I am doing a T56 from a 95 camaro LT1. I am getting the entire setup from tailshaft to flywheel including the hydraulic clutch pedal, master and slave for $1500. I will need some modifications from my th350, but i think it will be worth it to run 4.88 gears and cruise less than 2500 rpms on the freeway. :reddevil
Old 02-11-2002, 10:13 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Another auto to 5/6spd question! (Brett K)

Get a T5 from a camaro at the wreckers. Get everything, bellhousing, flywheel, clutch, slave cylinder release bearing. It should all fit. The pedals are the hardest part of the swap and you need them from a vet. For a master cylinder use one from a 85 one ton truck. Other then a linkage modification it bolt right to the firewall, the hole is already there. A brake line connects the master cylinder to the slave cylinder on the bellhousing. You will need to fabricate a back mount and shorten the drive shaft. The shortening is cheap.
I did this to a 75 without any problems.
Once again the pedals are the hardest part of the swap. The steering column must come out and the driver seat, there are 6 bolts under the dash and 4 in the windshielf wiper well.
Good luck

Get notified of new replies

To Another auto to 5/6spd question!

Quick Reply: Another auto to 5/6spd question!