C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid Intake gasket Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2002, 07:21 PM
Bill W
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Stupid Intake gasket Question

First time using the Fel Pro Printoseal intake gaskets. Which side goes up towards the intake? The side with the printed gasket material? Also, does the side without the printed gasket sealer require RTV to seal it? The gaskets don't have anything on them, like this end up and I'll be damned if I see anything in the instruction sheet. Thanks.
Old 02-10-2002, 08:12 PM
73 LS-4
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Stupid Intake gasket Question (Bill W)

Printo seal side should be toward the intake rather then the block. You should only need a little RTV on the corners where the head meats the block and possibly a little around the coolant ports on the block. Then if you use the supplied end seals that will be all you need, but some prefer to make the end seals out of RTV. It's very important to torque it down to specs and in the proper order, I normally have a beer between the steps so everything has time to settle a bit.

:cheers:
Pat Kunz
Old 02-10-2002, 09:44 PM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Re: Stupid Intake gasket Question (73 LS-4)

Use the RTV and tose the rubber gaskets. The stuff to buy is in a can and squirts out like cheese wiz. Also apply liquid teflon paste to any bolts that go into water jackets.
Old 02-10-2002, 11:22 PM
Bill W
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Stupid Intake gasket Question (Budman78)

Thanks guys. I will use some ARP thread sealer on the intake bolts (same stuff I used on the head bolts) to make sure I don't have oil climbing up the bolts. I will toss the end gaskets and just use the RTV for those. I have the torque sequence. Probably do it in two increments ( Its only 30 ft/lbs final). Interesting looking gasket. I wonder why it doesn't have the sealant on the bottom side as well?

Get notified of new replies

To Stupid Intake gasket Question

Quick Reply: Stupid Intake gasket Question