C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Balancer Removal, HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2002, 05:50 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Balancer Removal, HELP!!!

I actually got a couple of hours to work on my car, I decided to pull the harmonic balancer in preparation for my cam change. I put my balancer puller on and started cranking. To make a short story out of a long one, I have put everything I've got on it, and I can't budge the balancer. The cheap Chinese puller I'm using is actually bending under the pressure.
What else can I try? Tapping on the edge of the balancer with a hammer? Heat? More penetrating oil?

Old 02-10-2002, 05:56 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Balancer Removal, HELP!!! (Smokehouse69)

Sometimes I have seen them put on with 680 Loctite (green) UGH. Do you see any evidence of green or red (271 loctite) (not quite as tough) stuff? If you do then you will need to heat it up to get the balancer off. Did you get the heat riser? :jester
Old 02-10-2002, 08:16 PM
71vettman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Balancer Removal, HELP!!! (silvervetteman)

You probably took it off but its an easy thing to forget. Make sure the large washer came out with the bolt that holds the balancer on. If its still in there no puller will ever get it off the crank if your pushing against the washer. Good luck
Kevin

Get notified of new replies

To Balancer Removal, HELP!!!

Quick Reply: Balancer Removal, HELP!!!