C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Freaking leaks, need help please!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2002, 04:44 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Freaking leaks, need help please!!!!

I just replaced the rear main seal to fix an oil leak. Well, I just started the car and found a new (I think its new?) coolant leak(more of a drip) at the rear of the engine where the oil usually leaks. I found a very small puddle of coolant dripping from the bellhousing (just behind the oil pan but not the oil pan itself). Never had this happen before. The coolant does not look to be contaminated with oil because it has a nice green color. The heads were changed 2 years ago and never had a coolant issue, so I can rule out the head gasket I think. I checked my intake manifold, which I installed 2 years ago, and it looks dry. Not sure how else coolant can drip from the rear of the engine. Any suggestions? Once I turned the engine off, the drip stopped. I did not do any other work to the engine besides the starter and rear main seal. Man, just when I thought I had most of my leaks fixed :cry The good news is that no oil is leaking at the moment.

Regards,

Jim
Old 02-10-2002, 04:49 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Freaking leaks, need help please!!!! (Jim73)

You're having a day like mine. I had the same situation lately and right after I put new head gaskets on. In my case, I didn't use sealer on the head bolts and after running for a while it would drip ever so slightly out the back of the head and run down the rear of the engine and drip off the starter and the bottom of the flexplate cover.

Check the freeze plugs also.
Old 02-10-2002, 04:53 PM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Re: Freaking leaks, need help please!!!! (Jim73)

Look around bud, you will find the source. Start with the floor and work your way back. Look up to see the drip area and follow it to the source. Use a white napkin to touch the engine in places. :)

Get notified of new replies

To Freaking leaks, need help please!!!!

Quick Reply: Freaking leaks, need help please!!!!