C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headrests, how do I recover them?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2002, 01:51 PM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Headrests, how do I recover them?

My headrests are in bad shape. Unfortunately my seat cover kit didn't include anything to refurbish the headrests. Do these need to be provessionally done? Mine look like they have been recovered with viynl, and the covering job looks like it turned out ok, but they were stapled in on the bottom, is that correct? I thought they were supposed to be stitched. I'm not sure what the foam looks like underneath them. $100 bucks per side seems a little steep to have them done and I'd like to do them myself if at all possible.

Any idears?
Old 02-10-2002, 03:19 PM
Corvettes White
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Re: Headrests, how do I recover them? (Steve Straus)

Steve,

The original (1969) ones were molded with no seams. Never seen a repair or replacement kit. When at the swap meets I am always on the lookout for old ones in good shape. Keep “up-grading” the ones I have plus a spare.

George
Old 02-10-2002, 05:48 PM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Headrests, how do I recover them? (999)

Steve,

The original (1969) ones were molded with no seams. Never seen a repair or replacement kit. When at the swap meets I am always on the lookout for old ones in good shape. Keep “up-grading” the ones I have plus a spare.
Corvette America sells covers and foam for them. 30 bucks for the viynl and I think about 40 bucks for the foam. Were 68's any different? Maybe I should just dye these and wait for Carlisle to get some good originals. It's like 250 bucks to replace them with repros from what I've seen so far.
Old 02-10-2002, 06:20 PM
Clink69
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve,

Mine are stapled on the underside (I guess recovered or repros). I got these mailorder for 150 a few years back. I had soo much trouble finding anything.

:flag
Old 02-10-2002, 06:31 PM
Deuces Wild
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had CORVETTE AMERICA do mine last spring. Had them done original ABS. SEAMS on the sides are not original. they list 68-69 as the same. the bottoms are glued not stapled.the ABS covers are 65 a pair and the foam is 49 for the pair. that works out to 115. They will do it for you for 129. for $15 I just let them do it, I think I had to send $14 for shipping. They came back in about two weeks looking excellant. i don`t know how you would glue the bottoms to get the curves right. Jon

If some wants to do it themselves I have a set of blue vinyl covers no foam from al knoch $20 and you got them. email jage@rural-net.com

[Modified by Deuces Wild, 4:59 PM 2/10/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To Headrests, how do I recover them?

Quick Reply: Headrests, how do I recover them?