C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Lifter

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2002, 04:06 AM
Ben Taylor
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bad Lifter

My intake mainfold was leaking water into my oil and fuel, so I decided I might as well replace the head gaskets. I got the heads off and I noticed that the #1 piston was coverd with carbon, and so were the valves, I had noticed my engine was starting to knock before I changed the gaskets. When I was adjusting the rocker arms I noticed that the exhaust valve for cylinder #1 wasn't opening. I talked to my neigbor and he said it may be that the water washed the oil out of that lifter, and it should be alright if I let the engine idle for about an hour. Would this cause my hydraulic lifter not to move the pushrod? Or do I need to get a new set of lifters?
Old 02-10-2002, 06:45 AM
mountainmotor
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Bad Lifter (Ben Taylor)

Sounds like you possibly have a flat cam.Pull the lifter to see if it has gone away on you.If so cam replacement will be needed.Easy enough to do while you have it that far down.

What engine do you have? Any mods done to it?

If much anti freeze was run through the main and rod bearings could be trouble down the road.Was your oil pressure still good?

[Modified by mountainmotor, 4:49 AM 2/10/2002]
Old 02-10-2002, 07:24 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Bad Lifter (Ben Taylor)

I agree.. The bottom of the lifter will be concaved. Usually the cam lobe is flat also. There is a chance however that the pushrod wore a hole in the top and then of course the valve would not open. I have only seen that once but...... :sad:

Get notified of new replies

To Bad Lifter

Quick Reply: Bad Lifter