C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat Re-covering procedure?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2002, 03:38 AM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Seat Re-covering procedure?

Does anyone have a good source on seat recovering? I just want to do it right, and I don't think my seats were covered correctly the first time, so I have no frame of reference. Some of the fasteners that came in my seat installation kit look unfamiliar. All that was used in assembling my current seat covers were the rods and hog rings.

It looks like I start with the coverings inside out, then fold them around as I hog ring them in place, but it's hard to tell.

Thanks

Old 02-10-2002, 04:56 AM
78pace
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Seat Re-covering procedure? (Steve Straus)

http://www.corvettemagazine.com/2001...s/seatspg1.asp

try this

[Modified by 78pace, 3:56 AM 2/10/2002]
Old 02-10-2002, 05:21 AM
Tomi72
Racer

When I did mine I had a "Shark seat restoration" article on march -98 Corvette Fever by me all the time, it was pretty helpfull. Lindsay Porters "Chevrolet Corvette purchase and restoration guide" also has some photos about seat recovering but the CF article was more usefull to me.

Besides the hog rings I remember there were small push on metal clips that hold the seat bottom cover edges to the seat frame. Also there were various length hooks that go through the padding and hold the covers tight. The ones on the seat back were the same lenght (short), on the seat bottom longer hooks go near the front of the seat.

The procedure you describe is how I did it. The only problem was with the seat back as the cover will be tight to go around the headrest area, might be easier on your -69 though.

rgds Tomi
Old 02-10-2002, 07:36 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Steve.. I have done that a coulpe of times... It is not that difficult, just take your time. The backs are the most difficult. A hair dryer will help to make the material more pliable . Two people make the job easier. Powder the inside if needed. The most important thing is the condition of the foam. If it is too crushed and or pieces crumbled, when you get the covers on, there will be too much material left and the seams won't line up. I would evaluate the foam first. The pictures you posted (I think those were yours) looke pretty crushed. I know the molded foam is expensive but when you are done you will love the way they sit and feel. Once you put the covers on the old foam you will not be able to re-use them with new foam.

[Modified by silvervetteman, 5:37 AM 2/10/2002]
Old 02-10-2002, 08:59 AM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Default Re: Seat Re-covering procedure? (silvervetteman)

Steve, Al Knoch sells seat cover instal videos for $50. I know this because I just ordered one last week! Hope it helps because the quotes I got from local shops were outrageous!

Bruce
Old 02-10-2002, 12:56 PM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Default Re: Seat Re-covering procedure? (silvervetteman)

I know the molded foam is expensive but when you are done you will love the way they sit and feel. Once you put the covers on the old foam you will not be able to re-use them with new foam.

I have new foam all ready to go. I just want to do this right the first time.

78Pace thanks for the link.
Old 02-10-2002, 01:14 PM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Default Re: Seat Re-covering procedure? (78pace)

I'm about 3/4 of the way through this article and it's EXACTLY what I needed. Is there any way to get this added to our tech tips section?

Great link 78Pace.

Get notified of new replies

To Seat Re-covering procedure?

Quick Reply: Seat Re-covering procedure?