C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For all you engine gurus: What's with the offset roller lifters?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2002, 03:30 AM
blue72
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default For all you engine gurus: What's with the offset roller lifters?

I have a chance to get a set of CompCams mechanical roller lifters (# 890-16) cheap, but they are the type with the .180 offset on the intakes... What's this offset used for? Would they work with a set or Sportsman II's?
My mechanic friend and I were trying to figure out what the reasoning for the offset would be, but it totally escapes us.
Any ideas?
A full-roller 383 would be pretty sweet in my Vette...
-Jason
Old 02-10-2002, 03:47 AM
Pete79L82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: For all you engine gurus: What's with the offset roller lifters? (blue72)

Where the pushrod goes through the cylinder head near the intake port is the smallest area of the intake port. To widen this area some cylinder heads have the pushrod hole offset .180 away from the intake port to give more material for porting. This requires you to have offset lifters and offset rocker arms. Your Sportsman II heads are not like this and offset lifters would cause the pushrods to be at an angle and rub on the heads at the push rod hole.

Quick Reply: For all you engine gurus: What's with the offset roller lifters?