C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weatherstripping

Old 02-09-2002, 11:25 PM
micks69
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Weatherstripping

I am down to the little cosmetic stuff now and have $100 bucks burning a hole in my pocket so I am replacing the the door weather strips. Any suggestions or places to buy these? What will remove the old glue?
Old 02-09-2002, 11:51 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Weatherstripping (micks69)

Is the rest of your ws in good enough shape not to buy the package. I got mine from Ecklers. I used an adheisive remover from O'riely. Comes in a spray can. It soften up the old glue, then I used a scraper and my dremel tool with the brush attachment to clean off the rest.
Old 02-10-2002, 12:48 AM
micks69
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Weatherstripping (71,454,4spd)

The convertible top ws is in good shape the doors were still original. The dremmel sounds like a good idea.
Old 02-10-2002, 12:49 AM
Carl in LA
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Re: Weatherstripping (71,454,4spd)

Is the rest of your ws in good enough shape not to buy the package. I got mine from Ecklers. I used an adheisive remover from O'riely. Comes in a spray can. It soften up the old glue, then I used a scraper and my dremel tool with the brush attachment to clean off the rest.
I agree... The whole set cost me about $225 from JD Corvette in Bellflower (hey, my bookmark link for them is dead!) and I am glad I did them all at once. Unfortunantly this means you will be back in standard operating procedure.... you got a hundred but you need two hundred! And by the way... my glue was so old it just flaked off when I pulled the crappy old rubber off.

BTW - This is my number one test as to the condition of a C3... If, when I walk up to a vette at the swap meet, or at the local car show, and I see that the rubber is old and wasted... my opinion is made up that the restoration still has a long way to go! Conversly, if the rubber is new and supple... the car is obviously well cared for and has been attended to.

I had to edit this... The door rubber and the inside and outside window seals were one of the most profound rehabilitations I did on that '76... before the gaskets, the doors clanked shut with windows rattling and wind noise was everywhere. that car "felt" like a 25 year old car.. After, the doors "thunk" shut without a rattle to be heard... (dare I say as nicely as my Honda???) and no wind noise at all??? All I hear now is honkin' on engine noise!

[Modified by Carl in LA, 8:58 PM 2/9/2002]
Old 02-10-2002, 01:22 AM
82dukman
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Weatherstripping (Carl in LA)

I alos agree with doing the whole car. It won't take that long and will make a great improvement. I got mine from Corvette Rubber. 3M makes an aersol weatherstripping/glue remover. If they are that old, they should pull off. You can then use laquer thinner/mineral spirits to remove the thick stuff.
Old 02-10-2002, 11:32 AM
1LE
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Weatherstripping (micks69)

Willcox has the best prices.

Get notified of new replies

To Weatherstripping

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Weatherstripping