C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Choke light

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2002, 11:00 PM
Bodiemountain
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choke light

First time here. Looks like a great site. Just bought our first vette, a 1980 yellow L48. We love it. My question is, the choke light is on. What is the exact cause of this. I traced the wire from the choke back to the wiring harness on left fender. Don't have a wiring diagram. Does this feed from the alternator, or is it a sensor turning on the light. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-11-2002, 10:23 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Choke light (Bodiemountain)

Hi & welcome (good place to be),
Normal reason for the light being on is a blown choke heater fuse (20A?). Does the choke work (are you getting voltage at it?). The wire from the choke goes to the choke heater relay, which is fed from the fuse. From memory, this relay also connects to the generator. My choke light was staying on, mainly because the choke was permanently on :eek: It turned out to be a bad connector to the p.circuit behind the clock cluster (may have been the gage cluster which was also bad).
Hope this helps a bit.
:cheers:
Old 02-12-2002, 01:16 AM
jamiejamison
Instructor

Is the light on solid or just slightly and varies with engine speed? I have an 80 and if you have a blown diode in the alternator this will be the effect. Also causes a slight hum from the relay. The alternator is still putting out a charge but its now a half wave instead of a full wave rectifier. LOL Jamie
Old 02-12-2002, 09:17 AM
Bodiemountain
4th Gear

Default Re: Choke light (UKPaul)

Thanks for the reply. Found a description of system and brief wiring diagram on internet. Your probably right. Will check fuse and choke relay. Also will check behind clock display, since this is the only item that doesn't work on the dash. Any help as to the location of the choke relay, am assuming it's in the dash area? Thanks again.
Old 02-12-2002, 09:20 AM
Bodiemountain
4th Gear

Default Re: Choke light (jamiejamison)

Thanks for replying Jamie. The alternator is putting out fine. The light is on solid and bright with no variance at different speed. Believe the problem is going to be in the choke relay. Will let you know what I find. Thanks again.
Old 02-12-2002, 10:44 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi,
I seem to remember that the choke relay is behind the side of the centre console on the drivers side (somewhere around the area of the drivers seat base?). Sorry I can't be more specific, but I had so many electrical bits apart at the time, its all got a bit hazy....
If you get really stuck give me a shout & I'll search it out again (I've got to pull that area apart again to fit my new carpets, so it's no problem).
:cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Choke light

Quick Reply: Choke light