C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vettes Dead, MSD I think?

Old 02-09-2002, 09:43 PM
Clink69
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vettes Dead, MSD I think?

Well I have a total of about 450 Miles on my new motor. Had been cruising around today and had it cut off several times. Found a loose battery cable and thought that was it, but , later in the day after I changed the oil and began my traditional test drive I made it half way out of the garage and it Dies.:cuss Won't start, won't spark. Nothing. :confused:

Just downloaded MSD trouble shooting info and will check it out first thing in the morning. :rolleyes: :cry

Boy if its the MSD (I have both Tach drive dist and MSD 6AL) it sure doesn't last long. Only have about 2K miles on it.

:flag
Old 02-10-2002, 12:23 AM
63Banshee
Melting Slicks

Location: WANTED: '68 rear valance with b/u light assemblies IM, e-mail, or PM me here. Thanks!

Default Re: Vettes Dead, MSD I think? (Clink69)

I’m going to research this. I’ve never been told of a MSD failure until I read about them on this forum. I wonder if it has to do with the electrical systems on C3’s.
Old 02-10-2002, 01:46 AM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear it man, let me know if you need any help.
Old 02-10-2002, 02:28 AM
71vettman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Vettes Dead, MSD I think? (Steve Straus)

just a thought is to make sure that the white wire that comes out of the box is'nt grounded somewhere since that will kill the entire system when grounded.

I have 4000 on the exact same setup and it has been working great
good luck.
Kevin

[Modified by 71vettman, 12:32 AM 2/10/2002]
Old 02-10-2002, 01:56 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Vettes Dead, MSD I think? (71vettman)

mine lasted 2 weeks before it took a poopie..still waiting for msd to send it back to me... :mad
Old 02-10-2002, 02:12 PM
73 LS-4
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Vettes Dead, MSD I think? (63Banshee)

I’m going to research this. I’ve never been told of a MSD failure until I read about them on this forum. I wonder if it has to do with the electrical systems on C3’s.
I've seen it for many years, back in about 93-94 me and two of my friends all bought 6a's at the same time (two 5.0L mustangs and my ranger), withing two years both of theirs went out and mine lasted about 3. This and a few others I talked to made me shy away from the old style MSD's. I went with a Crane Hi-6 on my ranger after the MSD, and it worked great, never had a problem with it. I'll be putting an ignition box in the 73 here shortly but I'm thinking about a Mallory unit to go along witht he other Mallory components, I'd consider one of the digital MSD's but not the old 6 series style anymore.

:cheers:
Pat Kunz
Old 02-10-2002, 02:15 PM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Clink69, this is fairly common on mid-years and I suppose more than likely it's happening on yours also. Go to the connector on the firewall, should be under your steering column, engine side. The big red wire is likely the culprit. Wiggle it, twist it or whatever and see if your car lights off. If it does you have the blade connector inside going south on you. Darn hard to make a connection with the wimpy little connectors inside the black pull-off connector. I finally had to hard wire the red wire to the inside wire and haven't had it quit once in two years now.

Get notified of new replies

To Vettes Dead, MSD I think?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vettes Dead, MSD I think?