C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you remove top dash after screws are out

Old 02-09-2002, 07:55 PM
Terrys69coupe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How do you remove top dash after screws are out

Hi got both lower dashes and pillar posts out can't seem to figure out what angle i need to remove upper dash before i crack it any more.Thanks terry :smash:
Old 02-09-2002, 08:28 PM
paso
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: How do you remove top dash after screws are out (Terrys69coupe)

there is two small screws holding the top dash you likly missed them check around the middle and 10 inches to each side:)
Old 02-09-2002, 08:32 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

I think that the assembly plant installed the dash pad before they installed the windshield. You will need to bend the dash pad slightly in order to get enough clearance to clear the A-pillars. Some people have suggested that you use a heating pad or place the car out in the sun and let the pad warm up from the sun light. I am sure the warming up the pad will help. However, you never how brittle a 25 to 30 year old pad will be.

Unfortunately, a lot of things that require servicing on C3s were invented in HELL! And I say this having been an engineer with some responsibilities for the steering system parts that are in the C3s.
Old 02-09-2002, 08:53 PM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

On mine I got one end of the dash as high as I could with the other end low and with a small twist it came out. And he's right, the dash really goes in easy if the windshield is removed.
Old 02-09-2002, 09:03 PM
Terrys69coupe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it looks like I'll get my chance with the windshield out. Just broke it trying to get the header moulding out .Damn tempeture change .Thanks guys will try tommorrow broke enough stuff for one day
:mad
Old 02-10-2002, 12:30 AM
Carl in LA
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

my stock 76 did require bending to get out and I did BREAK the center of the upper surface on the way out. The old one was coming out because the sun had split it long before I bought the car.

I got a new dash cover from Ecklers (at GREAT expense) and I used the stick deep on the drivers side and lift it high on the passenger side to install. Went in easy. Turns out the Ecklers replacement is ever so slightly smaller in the width! That made sliding it in to the final resting spot relatively easy. But, you did not say that you had a Ecklers replacement dash did you??? :)

Get notified of new replies

To How do you remove top dash after screws are out

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How do you remove top dash after screws are out