C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing alternator bearings - what's the PITA factor?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2002, 07:15 PM
Pedro'74
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Replacing alternator bearings - what's the PITA factor?

Alternator bearings go byebye... :( Or at least that's what it seems, judging by the horrible noise it makes as I spin the alternator.

So, what's the PITA factor of replacing the bearings? Also, where do I buy them?

Thanks in advance!

-Pedro
Old 02-09-2002, 07:24 PM
PatG
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Replacing alternator bearings - what's the PITA factor? (Pedro'74)

Why not just buy a rebuilt with a lifetime warranty? I just replaced one on my GMC pickup after the bearings went out. Got the replacement for free.

If you are attached to that particular alternator I would think that a local alternator rebuild shop would have them or know where to get them. Around here there are several shops that rebuild just alternators and starters.

[Modified by PatG, 5:24 PM 2/9/2002]
Old 02-09-2002, 07:32 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,612 Likes on 1,336 Posts

Hey Pedro,
I thought you were out of the country enjoying warmer weather? Alternators aren't too bad to rebuild and the vette ones are the same as the other cars of the year. You can get the parts at any good part store. You might want to consider getting a retofit kit to up the amperage if you have one of the smaller alternators-42 amp? I picked up a kit from a recommendation of a forum member but don't recall the name of the place.
Gary

[Modified by gtr1999, 6:35 PM 2/9/2002]
Old 02-09-2002, 07:45 PM
Pedro'74
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Replacing alternator bearings - what's the PITA factor? (gtr1999)

Pat,

Thanks for your advice! I'm somewhat attached to the original parts of my car. I know this is the original alternator, dated, bla-bla-bla, so I'd like to keep it, if possible.

Gary,

Unfortunately I could only stay in the nice warm weather for a couple of weeks, b/c I have lots of things to do. Like finding a job, finishing my thesis...

I'm not sure what type of alternator I have--just know it's the original one. Would this conversion work for me? Can I find the parts for the rebuild at Autozone, or so I need a real parts store? (Unfortunately, there isn't any here in my neighborhood...)

Thanks!

-Pedro
Old 02-09-2002, 08:46 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

I was in the same position as you. I was asking for a "rebuild" kit for the alternator. He said why not just a rebuilt. Mine was also the original alternator. He said give it to me and I will have that one rebuilt for you for the same price. I was a little skeptical if I was going to get it back. It came back with the same housing and numbers just the guts were replaced. It might be worth inquiring about. I got a new one and still kept the same numbers.
Old 02-10-2002, 01:00 AM
GORDO77
Advanced

Default Re: Replacing alternator bearings - what's the PITA factor? (Gordonm)

Ijust did mine on my 77. both bearings and brushes were about $25 at napa ,thay also had a rebuilt for $37. I Had it done in about an hr. Rear bearing needs to be pressed in, i did it with a c-clamp.Not realy a big deal.Front bearing is slip fit. :seeya
Old 02-10-2002, 08:11 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,612 Likes on 1,336 Posts

Pedro,
you should be able to find the parts at NAPA or maybe Autozone? I can look up the place I got my kit from if you like, I'm sure they have a web site. This way you keep the case but up grade the guts! If you want to just rebuild it and can't find the parts let me know I'm sure I can get them for you around here.
Gary
Old 02-10-2002, 09:43 AM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Replacing alternator bearings - what's the PITA factor? (gtr1999)

the others are correct about this being quite easy. Press out the old bearing and press in the new rear bearing. My local no-name auto shop sold a kit with new bearings and voltage regulator for $15 about four years ago. The price has gone up but I am sure it is still reasonable.
Gary
Old 02-10-2002, 03:34 PM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Re: Replacing alternator bearings - what's the PITA factor? (GaryS)

yes, i got one of those kits and fixed 3 alternators!
Old 02-10-2002, 04:26 PM
Pedro'74
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Replacing alternator bearings - what's the PITA factor? (drives61)

Hey guys,

Thanks for all your responses. I think for now I'll simply try to repair it, and from what you said, it seems that it's something I can do by myself.

I checked Napa's website, and they have a bunch of parts (brushes and holder, diode trio, rectifier) and a repair kit. There's no description of what's included in the kit, but it should contain what I need, right? I'll check the local parts stores, and if I don't find it I'll have to order it from Napa (there's no Napa store in my neighborhood).

Is there any other critical part I'd want to replace now, to avoid D'OHs in the future? :D

I've heard that it may be hard to get the pulley nut off. Any tips? How do you keep it from spinning while you're turning the nut?

Thanks a bunch!

-Pedro
Old 02-10-2002, 04:45 PM
GORDO77
Advanced

The easyest way to get pulley off is with an inpackwrench, hold the alt. fan with some shop rags.You can also get it off if you put long screw driver through fan being carfull not to bend it,,using a ratchet .eather way its not a big deal . Hope this helps. :seeya :)
Old 02-10-2002, 04:51 PM
Pedro'74
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Replacing alternator bearings - what's the PITA factor? (GORDO77)

Thanks, GORDO77!

I don't have an impact wrench, but I'll try the screw driver trick. :)

Thanks again!

-Pedro

Old 02-10-2002, 04:54 PM
Pedro'74
Melting Slicks

P.S. There's no tool like the lifetime warranty screw driver! Just use it for the most unusual and bizarre purposes, and then take it to Sears for a replacement! I love it! :D

-Pedro
Old 02-10-2002, 05:12 PM
dman535
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The core charge on an alternator is not very much. For the puposes of getting your car back on the road jut go with a remaned-higher output unit. Eat the core charge and hold on to your original alternator.

Old 02-10-2002, 06:05 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

About once a year I have to replace the alternator in my Chevy Pickup, O'Reilly rebuilt, with a lifetime guarantee. I pull in the lot pull the old alternator off and put another "Lifetime" rebuilt back on.
I guess I'm pretty lucky (in at least one instance)considering the pit of a town I live in. About 3 miles from my house is repair shop that specializes in rebuilding A/C Delco stuff. I found them a couple of weeks when I was looking for someplace to get my distributor bushings replaced.
I watched them as the knocked out the old bushings, align pressed the new ones in and then honed them to fit my new distributor shaft. They told me that they can repair and rebuild any A/C Delco electronic parts. They were quite busy, doing rebuilds for local garages and dealerships.
I'm not going to any parts stores for those kind of parts anymore, these guys were great and only used A/C Delco replacement parts.
So the next time my alternator dies, I'm taking it to these guys for a rebuild. They told me if their rebuild dies, they'll repair it and take the alternator off and put it on for me! Not that it is any problem, but just the attitude and confidence these guys showed really surprised me. I'm not used to this with todays chain parts store atitude you find in most places.
Old 02-11-2002, 02:31 AM
eeeticket
Advanced

Default Re: Replacing alternator bearings - what's the PITA factor? (Smokehouse69)

I don't know who originally posted this, but it was http://www.alternatorparts.com . Check the site kits to do everything.
Old 02-11-2002, 04:13 AM
Pedro'74
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Replacing alternator bearings - what's the PITA factor? (eeeticket)

Thanks a lot for all the tips, guys!

I guess if I knew a local shop that could rebuild it, I'd let'em do it. But I don't know any shop, and with the streets covered with salt, I'm not really in a hurry... So I think I'll try to do it myself.

I stopped at Autozone, and found that they don't have a "repair kit", but they do carry lots of parts: bearings, brushes, and electrical components. So I'll see what I need, and get the parts from them.

I also checked my Chevrolet Overhaul Manual, and it has very detailed instructions, so I think there's nothing to worry about.

Thanks again!

-Pedro
Old 02-11-2002, 12:05 PM
john's '81 mouse
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pedro, as others have said, not a bad job, and you can do it, repair yours, and forget the rebuilt route. As I recall, you'll need a large paper clip, straightened out, to use to hold the brushes in place when you re-install. There is a hole in the alternator housing, where you insert the paper clip, works pretty slick!!
Old 02-11-2002, 11:56 PM
Pedro'74
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Replacing alternator bearings - what's the PITA factor? (john's '81 mouse)

John,

Thanks for the tip. I remember reading about something like that in Lars' paper, but it's hard to picture this procedure without seeing how everything goes together. I guess I'll figure it out once I open the alternator and inspect it.

Thanks again,
-Pedro

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing alternator bearings - what's the PITA factor?

Quick Reply: Replacing alternator bearings - what's the PITA factor?