C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vacuum Leak-- Tranny wont Shift

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2002, 05:20 PM
Rich80
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Vacuum Leak-- Tranny wont Shift

Finally jacked up and crawled under the car today to look at the modulator valve and trace the line to the manifold. (Tranny doesnt wanna shift into second gear when shes floored--ok under normal acceleration). The modulator looked fine(No oil), but as I popped off the rubber hose to it a few times I noticed it fit on pretty sloppy so not having any of that diameter hose around I put a hose clamp on it. On the manifold end the line bends to a rubber hose that fits into the manifold. This appeared tight but where the steel line bends to go into the rubber hose there was a gap in there. So being out of hose clamps and not having any of that Dia. hose I did a Bubba and wrapped it with duct tape. She bangs second gear under full throttle (5300 RPM) as well as a 1980 L-48 with 140,000 miles will do. I dont get that lopping when I first start her up also. All I have to do now is get some of that hose and get rid of Bubba and the duct tape...... :cheers:
Old 02-09-2002, 05:35 PM
Warp70
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Vacuum Leak-- Tranny wont Shift (Rich80)

Sounds like you've got it all figured out. I'm not sure what the diameter of the hose it, but I had a problem with mine due to the end that hooks up to the modulator being rotted and soaked with oil. I was able to pick up a 5 foot section from Discount autoparts for about $5 bucks. Good Luck, I would recommend getting the hose right away as I don't know how long that duct tape will hold up under the hood. :smash:
Old 02-09-2002, 08:13 PM
GreyGhost
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Vacuum Leak-- Tranny wont Shift (Rich80)

Same thing happened to mine. The hose fell off. I put it back on and put a hose clamp on it...now it shifts just fine :D
Old 02-09-2002, 08:28 PM
73-454
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Vacuum Leak-- Tranny wont Shift (GreyGhost)

My headers fried my hose at the trany. I used an old spark plug boot with hose clamps, works perfect. The silicone boot can also stand al lot more heat then a fuel hose.

Get notified of new replies

To Vacuum Leak-- Tranny wont Shift

Quick Reply: Vacuum Leak-- Tranny wont Shift