C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions Needed On Jerico Transmission!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2002, 04:01 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Opinions Needed On Jerico Transmission!

My buddy Tim Dotts always used to tell me about the Jerico transmission and how it's a clutchless 4 speed! Racer13_20 off the Chevelle Forum said "if you must have a stick do it right the first time and get a Jerico @ $3000+." What I want to do is keep my 3.36 rear end and get some lower gear ratios in the Jerico (they custom build your trannys for the gear ratios you want). I was thinking 3.27:1 1st gear with a 1:1 4th gear. The 3.36 rear end, 28" tall tires and 1:1 gear ratio will make for a really nice highway combo.....while giving me an EXCELLENT drag race combo.

What do you guys think? With the clutchless 4 speed there is no down shifting. You press the clutch in to put it in gear and you don't use the clutch after that. Whenever you let off the gas it kicks the tranny in neutral where you can then select your gear. All I can say is I want one!
Old 02-09-2002, 04:35 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Opinions Needed On Jerico Transmission! (bence13_33)

Bence, I don't really think those things are very good for the street, but I could be wrong. I do know that your $3000 price is low by the time your finished. More like $4000+ with the shifter, etc. Might as well get an air shifter while you're at it :lol: Seriously, I think you'll be much happier with a street trans.

As far as I know, those clutchless transmissions don't even downshift! When you back off the throttle, they just drop into neutral. They are designed strickly for drag racing, and they will absolutely pound a stock or near-stock drivetrain. The clutch models could probably be used on the street, but I doubt they'd be very comfortable without syncros.
Old 02-09-2002, 04:49 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Default Re: Opinions Needed On Jerico Transmission! (Flareside)

You are correct the clutchless ones don't down-shift :). I'm wondering how well this will bolt up in place of the T10? One of the guys on the Chevelle board said he went through 2 drive shafts and a pinion gear. In the near future I plan on upgrading to a 12 bolt Corvette rear end. This transmission just seems too cool. What is a "pro-stock type clutch setup?" It's required to use the Jerico tranny.
Old 02-09-2002, 05:05 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, you're getting in deep now! That pro stock clutch isn't going to be cheap either. I think this is close to what they're talking about: http://www.ramclutches.com/Products/billet_clutches.htm That thing's gotta cost as much as the trans!

12 bolt? More like a solid axle and 4-link suspension to handle that kind of drivetrain.

If you build it, I want a ride! :yesnod:

-Joe
Old 02-09-2002, 05:19 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Bence, IMHO I don't think you'll be very happy with a transmission that doesn't down shift in a street car. For a drag only car I think it would be an excellent choice. I think you should consider somethink like a Tremec TKO for your vette so not only can you enjoy it on the street, but it'll give you an overdrive for great highway mileage (you, your vette & your girl on the open road ;) ). Most of your friends probably will be impressed with a TKO in your car too if they've heard of them :) .

If you have your mind set on a Jerico, go to their website & ask them about the tranny your considering and ask them about driving it on the street. They do sell other trannys but you'll have to open your wallet MUCH wider.
Old 02-09-2002, 05:31 PM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, why not convert your engine to run on nitromethane while you're at it?

A transmission that can't downshift is not something you should be putting in a street car. If you plan to be at the track every weekend, that's one thing. The other option they have is the clutch-type 4-speed that's non-syncromesh. Have fun double-clutching in every gear.

Figure out what you want to do with this car. If it's going to be a weekend dragster, put a lenco ST-1200 in it :).

If not, build it for the street, but heavy duty enough to play dirty at the track.

If you're going to spend 3K on your transmission a ROD 6-speed would be a better buy IMHO. If it'll stand up to Merlin's Supercharged 522 I think it'll stand up to your 468. The Jerico is just to hard core if you ask me.

[Modified by Steve Straus, 4:39 PM 2/9/2002]
Old 02-09-2002, 05:35 PM
Monty
Le Mans Master

You're sick man...at such a young age, you already have the disease. Those clutchless transmissions are obviously intended for drag use only, but I know a couple of guys that run them on the street. If you get a Jerico, (or G-force, Liberty, etc) you'll never have to worry about breaking it, regardless of what further engine mods you do, but you'll have to live with it. Just be sure that before you spend the money on a racing transmission, you're sure you will really put up with it. And if you do do it, take lots of pictures and put it on a web page!
Old 02-09-2002, 06:05 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

I pretty much have my mind set on the Jerico Clutchless 4 speed. I really don't take my car out very often anymore. I go into town (10 miles away) and pull into the local hangout and shoot the bull with the guys. We'll cruise through town a little but that's about it. Once I come up with the $4000+ that Jerico is as good as in my car.....but first things first.

First and foremost I want to get the car on the road in time for spring time. I will be using my ST-10 until I come up with the money (or hit the lotto :) ). The power of the big block will suffice for the time being ;). Once I get all the bugs worked out of the 468, then it's time to work on the next project...the drivetrain. Next project is the Jerico tranny, solid u-joints, 12 bolt rear end. I'm gonna take things step-by-step and enjoy every moment. :yesnod:

Joe:
Yea that clutch is going to cost a small fortune. We'll cross that bridge when we get there ;)

Mike:
That Lenco is an interesting transmission...what is the retail on one of those?

Monty:
Power is addicting.....and I don't even have the engine built yet! I'll have plenty of time to decide if this is the transmission for me. In the mean time I'll be doing my homework on it :cheers:
Old 02-09-2002, 06:32 PM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Mike:
That Lenco is an interesting transmission...what is the retail on one of those?
Last I checked I hadn't changed my name :D :D

Last I checked they were about 8-10K
Old 02-09-2002, 06:43 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Default Re: Opinions Needed On Jerico Transmission! (Steve Straus)

My bad Steve, I'm was in hurry trying to type the message so I could get back to cleaning up my transmission that's leaking all over the place in the basement :D . It's been a long day....

$8-$10K, goodnight. I think I'll stick with the Jerico :yesnod:. I currently have half the money saved up for the Jerico! I would say by summer I should have enough money for it....then I have to save a small fortune for the clutch! LOL. :lol:
Old 02-09-2002, 07:42 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Why don't you just gut the car and make it a full race car. Solid rear axle and tubs should do nicely. This car is getting less streetable every day. I agree for the street this is overkill. Have fun and good luck with it. :cheers:
Old 02-09-2002, 07:56 PM
ddn
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Opinions Needed On Jerico Transmission! (Gordonm)

I think you should tub it out, put in the biggest slicks you can find, add a chute, remove the passenger seat, dash, change driver seat to aluminum bucket, convert your Holley to alcohol, get a 500HP NOS fogger system, send your 294 back and get the 306, and put skinnies on the front.

Try to be realistic.
Old 02-09-2002, 08:29 PM
ken markusa
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have used one for a number of years in N.H.R.A. stocker drage racing. If you are going to get a Jerico get the Winston Cup roadrace version it will allow you to down shift and it can use a Hurst shifter in a standard H pattern this will probably fit in the console. The drag race version clutch or clutchless works best with a vertical pattern Long shifter and probably won't fit in a console. The clutchless will also pop out of high gear and into neutral when you left off the gas at the end of a run it's designed to do this annoying on the street coming up to a light/stopsign.In addition don't forget to order a speedo tail shaft. Your best bet is to phone them directly and explain your needs and be realistic otherwise you'll end up spending alot of money on something you don't really need and will be a pain to install and live with.

Ken Markusa

P.S. Hi guys first time posting 72 Steel Cities Grey coupe owned since 1976 sprint car racing drag racing since 196...........O MY GAWD I JUST REALISED I'M GETTING OLD!!!!!!! :cheers:
Old 02-09-2002, 08:39 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Default Re: Opinions Needed On Jerico Transmission! (ddn)

ddn:
I'm not seeing what isn't "realistic" about my setup? It's not like I make long trips with my car. It's pretty much just a "weekend warrior." Some people would claim that Steve's (Merlin) project isn't realistic. Seems to me whenever something out of the ordinary is introduced people say "be realistic." Well gosh darn it I feel I am being realistic (to a certain degree :) ). Sure things will break :), but they make new parts every day and to be honest "you have to pay play." I hope I didn't come off as upset because I'm not, I enjoy hearing everybody's opinion even if it doesn't correspond with mine. :cheers:

P.S. You guys are the greatest!
Old 02-09-2002, 09:06 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Re: Opinions Needed On Jerico Transmission! (ken markusa)

Welcome Ken, from Ontario. Always good to have well informed input from pro's like yourself. :cheers:
Old 02-09-2002, 09:29 PM
mountainmotor
Drifting

Default Re: Opinions Needed On Jerico Transmission! (gdh)

Quote;
"ddn:
I'm not seeing what isn't "realistic" about my setup? It's not like I make long trips with my car. It's pretty much just a "weekend warrior"

Reallistically the Jerico would go in a car with mega power to optimize the use of it..Not a pump gas 480-490hp motor.
Old 02-09-2002, 10:19 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Default Re: Opinions Needed On Jerico Transmission! (mountainmotor)

mountainmotor:
Actually it's 530HP ;). There's still a lot of time before I have to make my transmission choice, who knows I may change my mind by then. I'm going to keep researching different transmissions and see what I end up with.

I'm currently cleaning up the ST-10 and its linkage to prepare it for installation whenever I get the big block built. I'm hoping the ST-10 will hold its own until I have enough money to purchase another tranny. I don't intend to pound on it too bad so I don't see any reason why it shouldn't.

Get notified of new replies

To Opinions Needed On Jerico Transmission!

Old 02-09-2002, 10:45 PM
ZD75blue
Race Director

sounds cool, but i think that once you get your car back together, drive it with you t-10, and shift it clutchless... use the syncros, dont down shift without hitting neutral etc....
Old 02-09-2002, 10:45 PM
ZD75blue
Race Director

sounds cool, but i think that once you get your car back together, drive it with you t-10, and shift it clutchless... use the syncros, dont down shift without hitting neutral etc....
Old 02-09-2002, 11:19 PM
topless68
Melting Slicks

Racer13_20 off the Chevelle Forum said "if you must have a stick do it right the first time and get a Jerico @ $3000+."
Do you listen to every Tom, Dick and Harry? Jees... :rolleyes:

Quick Reply: Opinions Needed On Jerico Transmission!