C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with PS pump install...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2002, 01:10 PM
Jack71
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with PS pump install...

I just installed a new ps pump, pscv & cylinder. A problem occurred when I was bleeding the system. Here's what I did...

1. Filled reservior
2. turned engine over a few times
3. capped of reservoir -- not much change in fluid level
4. Started car for 5 seconds, the stopped it
5. capped of reservoir -- not much change in fluid level again
6. Started car & turned wheel 1 complete turn in each direction

After that I noticed a puddle of fluid which appears to be blowing out the cap. I'm wondering if the system is even charging or I missed something. Currently there is 1 quart of fluid in the car minus what blew out the cap.

Is there seal in the connection on the back of the ps pump reservoir? I removed the obvious red caps on there. Purchased everything from VBP.

Any help appreciated...
Old 02-09-2002, 01:27 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: Help with PS pump install... (74jack)

Dunb question but I assume the lines are hooked properly. If my memory serves me right there is a procedure for bleeding this system. Can't remember what it is. It has been a while since I did this. Where is the level of fluid now. Is it full or empty. It should have taken some of the fluid when the wheels were turned.
Old 02-09-2002, 01:31 PM
Jack71
Drifting

Default Re: Help with PS pump install... (Gordonm)

Not much, if any fluid, left the reservoir. That concerns me bacause the directions for bleeding stress not to run the reservoir dry.
Old 02-09-2002, 02:00 PM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 521 Likes on 351 Posts

Make sure you do the bleeding with the front wheels of the ground. Jack it up,then run the engine while going lock-lock on the syeering wheel.
Old 02-09-2002, 03:46 PM
454Big
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Help with PS pump install... (SteveG75)

Steve is right, you should bleed with the front wheels off the ground!
Otherwise I guess the fluid won´t push out the air of the system and it will run dry.
Old 02-09-2002, 07:44 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: Help with PS pump install... (454Big)

That was the trick do it with the wheels in the air. I knew someone would come up with it
Old 02-09-2002, 08:50 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

I assume that the new assist cylinder that you installed was probably empty of any fluid (in other words it was full of air). When you started your car, all you did was recirculate oil down to the control valve and back. However, as soon as you tried to steer the car, you started pushing oil into the assist side of the cylinder and started pushing air out of the return side of the cylinder. Now normally you would think that your oil level would go down in your pump reservoir, however, initially the air coming out of the cylinder could get sucked into the pump and thrashed into foam! The foamy oil will take up a lot more space than just plain oil. This is most likely why your pump burped out oil. :U

This is why it is best to jack the front wheels off the ground and rotate the steering wheel lock to lock several times before starting the engine. You will displace the air in the assist cylinder and the air will have time to come up into the reservoir and out to atmosphere. You would then recheck the oil level and do some more lock to lock steering wheel rotations. Only after this procedure would you start the engine.

If you have a lot of air entrapped in the power steering fluid you might notice that the fluid looks milky. Most of the entrapped air should work its way out if you drive the car about 10 miles. If it is really bad, you might leave it over night for the air to come out of the oil naturally. Recheck the fluid level before starting again.

BTW, I always recommend that you go to your local dealer and use General Motors power steering fluid. Not the stuff sold at K-mart and at car parts stores. For maximum durability, there is only one approved power steering fluid for GM vehicles and it is available from GM dealers.

[Modified by Jim Shea, 6:52 PM 2/9/2002]
Old 02-10-2002, 04:13 PM
Jack71
Drifting

Default Re: Help with PS pump install... (Jim Shea)

Re-bled the system with the car jacked up. I'm in business again.

No leaks & the ps cap clears the alternator (car had wrong ps pump).

Thanks for the help everybody...

Jack

[Modified by 74jack, 3:14 PM 2/10/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To Help with PS pump install...

Quick Reply: Help with PS pump install...