C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed 2nd windshield this morning.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2002, 12:07 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Installed 2nd windshield this morning.

And it went great. I used some quarter inch thick rubber that I cut into squares as spacers, along with the foam dam around the edge, then laid a nice bead of urethane that stuck up above the spacers slightly, set the glass in and gave it a little press down into the urethane. Then I put the trim on and it fit right up. That trim has never been all one color (it was flaking black and stainless, now it's all gloss black), nor has it ever fit so good. The old windshield was never spacered out, so there have been gaps between the trim and glass as long as I've owned it. It looks great now. :cool: And even with purchasing the glass and urethane twice, it still came in just under $250. Nothing wrong with that. :) Now, being the skeptic (sp.??) that I am, I can worry about whether or not it will leak. :rolleyes: This would all be easier if I wasn't my own worst critic. :smash: :cheers:

Now I need to adjust the window glass to fit against the new weatherstrip, put the door panels back on, get new tires, polish the wheels, taper the leading edge of the brake pads as well as put pad grease on the back of them, and change the rear differential fluid. Then I'll have it ready for spring. Boy do I ever wish I had a digital camera. :seeya

-Justin

[Modified by Dalannex, 2:20 PM 2/9/2002]
Old 02-09-2002, 12:14 PM
paso
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Installed 2nd windshield this morning. (Dalannex)

Glad it went well! Isn't the glass a little thick now with 2nd windsheild :jester
Old 02-09-2002, 12:17 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Default Re: Installed 2nd windshield this morning. (paso)

Yeah, and the cracks in the first one still seem to show even though I put another one on top. :D
Old 02-09-2002, 03:47 PM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

All's well that ends well - right. Now you are a windshield expert, ready to help when called upon.
Old 02-09-2002, 04:03 PM
Golden80
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it was flaking black and stainless
I thought that was one of the C3 options along with leaky T-tops and slow power windows?!?! :lol: :lol:

Matt
Old 02-09-2002, 04:14 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Default Re: Installed 2nd windshield this morning. (Golden80)

I don't know about being a windshield expert. :) We'll just say I've had a hard knocks education on Corvette windshields. :smash: I didn't pass the course the first time so I got held back a grade until I got it right. :jester

I think it was option FLKTRM1, but I didn't like it so I changed mine to FLKTRM1 DELETE. :lol: :)

[Modified by Dalannex, 2:18 PM 2/9/2002]
Old 02-09-2002, 05:10 PM
Corvettes White
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

:cheers:

George
Old 02-09-2002, 09:41 PM
dually4wd
Racer

Glad to hear it came out nice. It probably won't leak, but if so, just pop the trim back off and put in a little more spooge with a paint stick. :chevy
Old 02-09-2002, 11:18 PM
Bob Turner
Drifting

Default Re: Installed 2nd windshield this morning. (paso)

Glad it went well! Isn't the glass a little thick now with 2nd windsheild :jester

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 02-10-2002, 07:50 AM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Default Re: Installed 2nd windshield this morning. (dually4wd)

Thanks for all the help dually4wd. I used your advice and everything worked out great. I owe you one. :cheers:
Old 02-10-2002, 07:58 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,617 Likes on 1,338 Posts

ok I missed some of the previous posts but I want to remove the windshield from my 72 so what procedures do you recommend?
Thanks,
Gary
Old 02-10-2002, 08:07 AM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Default Re: Installed 2nd windshield this morning. (gtr1999)

In my humble opinion, your chance of getting the windshield out without breaking it are slim to none, so the first question is, why? Is it broke or what? If the plan is to get a new windshield, I would invest in a windshield knife. I got mine from snap-on. It was 25 bucks or something like that. Them babies cut the old windshield out real well on the top and sides. I had to make a knife for the bottom by sharpening a thin piece of steel because the blade on the tool wasn't long enough to reach under the bottom edge. I understand that if you want to try to keep the windshield in tact, a piano string is the way to go, but Dually4wd will have to go over the finer points of that. To get the trim off I got a tool from Snap-on for 8 bucks that works slicker than snot. It reaches under the top trim and pops it right off. The sides are held on by 3 screws each side. If you decide to tackle this job, be prepared to buy a new windshield, because the break real easy. You should also look at your weatherstrip on your windshield frame molding, because if it's shot, it is easiest to replace now. So, I guess what I really need to know is if you plan on new glass or attempting to reuse the old glass. Oh yeah, listen to dually4wd too, he knows this stuff. If I had listened to him earlier, I wouldn't have had to buy a second new windshield. :D

-Justin
Old 02-10-2002, 08:19 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,617 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Thanks Justin,
I have to replace the windshield because it's scored from the wiper arms and pitted.Plus I always had a water leak over the drivers side header so the frame needs to be inspected too.

I was quoted $125 for a new non dated one last year. A friend owns a glass business but I don't know if his help ever worked on an old vette? :eek:

I'm not going to do this until the Spring or Summer, right now I'm still working inside on the rear bearings and rear end :rolleyes: It takes a while working only a few hours a week on things.
What risk to the dash panel is there-either by me or a glassman?

I'm sure I'll be asking more questions as I get closer to doing this.
Gary
Old 02-10-2002, 02:32 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Default Re: Installed 2nd windshield this morning. (gtr1999)

Well, that makes it easy then. You don't have to worry about breaking the glass. I was concerned about the dash when I took mine out the first time, but once the knife I made gets down in between the glass and frame on the bottom, it just slides along the dash, not leaving even a scuff. The knife I made is just a thin piece of metal, made out of a 1" piece of strap, that I cut about 10 inches long. Then I rounded the end and sharpened it so that I have a sharp end to push through, and sharpened the leading edge. Then I put on some leather gloves (just in case :yesnod: ) and push the knife throught the urethane on the bottom, and pull it to the side cutting it free. The part that you probably won't be able to cut loose will be the lower corners. That's OK, leave them. Once the rest is loose, you can just pull them apart. The top and sides require virtually no effort getting loose with the knife from Snap-on. Well worth the money, especially if you think you might ever be doing the job again. The trim tool is another fabulous little thing. I have tried getting that trim off on other cars without the tool and destroyed the trim. With the tool you can pop it right off damage free.

I spent $125 on my windshield and 2 tubes of urethane. (both times :rolleyes: ) The foam dam that I put in the second time was 6 bucks. The glass shop said they would get $175 to install it, so it would have been $300 for them to do it. Even though I did it twice, and bought $35 worth of tools, I still came in under that. You can do this job yourself, and save yourself a nice sum of $$$$ as long as you get some advice from the good people on this forum. :)

[Modified by Dalannex, 12:33 PM 2/10/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To Installed 2nd windshield this morning.

Quick Reply: Installed 2nd windshield this morning.