C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back from the track:(

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2002, 11:25 PM
Warp70
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back from the track:(

Well.....I'm back so let me preface this post by saying, it was a learning experience and my car and I came back in one piece.

To begin with I learned that everyone at the track has different advice :D

The Second thing I learned is to make sure your not in reverse when you go to heat up your tires :D

The third thing I learned is to breathe, and take your time :D

The forth thing I learned,:) which is the most important thing, when you shift from reverse back into drive......make sure your actually in drive and not Low2 :bb

That's right,:yesnod: I ran the quarter mile in low 2 and never knew it until the run was over. I couldn't figure out why I lacked my usually acceleration off the line, and I stopped accelerating about half way down the track......but I was nervous as hell and it didn't dawn on me until it was over.

Now.......lets talk about my times and the rest of this stuff on the sheet:

R/T.......... .716 not too hot, but it was my first time.
60'.......... .2.184
330'........ .6.377
1/8......... .9.853
MPH........ 69.97
1000'...... 12.909
1/4......... 15.489
MPH........ 87.52

I don't know what I would have run had I actually had it in Drive. Did I mention that I had a 300lb co pilot trying to walk me through my first run.

I wanted to run again, but the wait would have been about 2 hours, sooooooo I decided not too. Sorry for embarrasing us C3 guys
:bb I know my car is a lot faster then that!!! I was the only Corvette out there so I really wanted to represent......but I'll be back and maybe I can meet up with a couple of forum members on a Wednesday next time.
Old 02-08-2002, 11:29 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Back from the track:( (Warp70)

OOOPPPPSSSS!
only one run! :cry:

Well now you can pratice at the stop lights :)

Oh and the 1/8 mile times don't look so bad :D

[Modified by 427V8, 9:30 PM 2/8/2002]
Old 02-09-2002, 12:19 AM
Captain Morgan
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Bummer. One thing I like about our little 1/8th track here is that it is usually not too crowded. I think my first time out, I got about 15 or so runs in. :eek: Lots and lots of practice (but I'm still slow). I can't wait till the track opens soon. You definitely need to get to the track a bit more, I know 15's are way too slow for your vette. I would expect you to be near 13's. Let us know if you go again.

BTW, my first (and only) time on a 1/4 track, I ran a 15.7 but I didn't have the exhaust done yet either. It can really be unnerving on your first run, especially if you're rattled from screwing up the burnout. That's one thing I hate about back-in water boxes or track lanes. New (and some not so new) guys are so busy thinking about they're first run, or watching the guy ahead of them, that they forget they just backed up and leave it in reverse. Very dangerous situation.
Old 02-09-2002, 12:58 AM
shoptek
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like fun!!! I wish we had a strip closer to me down here.
What track were you at? I don't really remember Orlando that much even thought I lived there 3 years!

We are still planning on coming up next week. Hopefully we can all get together
:cheers:
Old 02-09-2002, 01:31 AM
Maurice
Safety Car

Congratulations! There is no better feeling than being able to drive your car home after running it at the track :D . The most important thing is that you learned something, what ever it is, it will help next time. Also, a .716 for your first time out is incredible. My first rt was like 1.4 or so. You also now have a baseline to run against next time and something to improve upon. Isn't the rush incredible your first time?
Old 02-09-2002, 09:35 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: Back from the track:( (Maurice)

The key is to learn from your mistakes. Not bad for the first time out. My first reaction time was a 1.45. Keep on practicing. To bad you only got in one run. You need about 3 or 4 to see how consistant you are
Old 02-09-2002, 09:43 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Back from the track:( (427V8)

Well now you can pratice at the stop lights :)
by 427V8
That's what I did before going to the track. Watch out on the street if you do this. First time at the strip went & watched the lights so was in sync w/ them. Never saw green, no reds, took class & Recordholder.

:cool:
Old 02-09-2002, 01:11 PM
Warp70
Racer

Default Re: Back from the track:( (Ganey)

I am planning on going back to the track on Wednesday......because it's really eating me up that I ran in low 2. To top it off, this guy that was riding with me owned an 89' RX7 Turbo that runs 14.6's, and he kept saying that his car would hang with mine.........obviously I want to prove him wrong.....and see what my car can really do. I feel like I can knock a full 2 seconds off my time pretty easily if I take a few more runs. Thanks for all of the tips on my other post (Track Tips). I am still considering Race Gas, as the last time my car was in the shop I was told my compression was 10:1. I know my signature doesn't look like it, but remember, this is not my original engine. It was a built motor, and it's always full of surprises, like 327 Heads, etc. I still don't know what type cam I have and I don't know for sure what gears are in the rear end, I just assume stock for both but?????????
Old 02-09-2002, 03:53 PM
454Big
Burning Brakes

Warp,

seems like we have some work to do when I show up in sunny Florida!

First of all we should check your rear end !

Keep on practicing, I would be glad to go to the track with you!
Old 02-09-2002, 04:50 PM
Warp70
Racer

Default Re: Back from the track:( (454Big)

You know I will. I'll be in the 13's by Wednesday.......you have my word on that!!!!!! As for heading to the track...you're on :cheers: Is there a way for me to look at the rear end of the car and tell what gears I have????I'm thinking No, but I figured I'd ask!!! :D
Old 02-09-2002, 05:53 PM
QuickVet
Race Director

are you hooked yet? :crazy:
Old 02-09-2002, 06:07 PM
0Mike69@ECS
Former Vendor

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: Back from the track:( (Gordonm)

The key is to learn from your mistakes. Not bad for the first time out. My first reaction time was a 1.45. Keep on practicing. To bad you only got in one run. You need about 3 or 4 to see how consistant you are
What he said! Get back out there and enjoy it!!!! :cheers:
Old 02-09-2002, 06:10 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shane.. Jack the rear up with both wheels off the ground, put a mark on the driveshaft (not the half shaft). Now have someone turn the wheel one full turn and count the turns of the driveshaft. 3.55:1 would be three and a half turns. 3.08:1 would be just over one turn and so on. Sunday (9th) is tune and run at Bithlo. Run as many times as you like for one price. $10 to get in $15 to run. Why didn't you tell me you were going to the track? :cool:
Old 02-09-2002, 06:21 PM
Warp70
Racer

Default Re: Back from the track:( (silvervetteman)

Last second decision really...........I have been thinking about it for a while, but after I got the headers....and had the timing set......it was just so fast.....I had to see what she could do............not that I actually found out....duh!!!!!! I am going out again on Wednesday with my brother for sure!!! :chevy

Wait a minute....did you say the 9th?????that's tomorrow.............ooooohhhhh boy.....I might not wait until Wednesday..........are you going to be out there on Sunday????

[Modified by Warp70, 5:29 PM 2/9/2002]
Old 02-09-2002, 06:44 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought about it but I don't think I'll have time. Lots of thing to do this week end. A co-worker told me. He is going to run an orange Volare that he re-did with a really tricked out slant six. :cheers:
Old 02-09-2002, 07:14 PM
Captain Morgan
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Wait a minute....did you say the 9th?????that's tomorrow.............ooooohhhhh boy.....I might not wait until Wednesday..........are you going to be out there on Sunday????
Actually, Sunday is the 10th, today is the 9th. :D

Go out there and have fun. I bet you're close to 13's if not in em. ;)
Old 02-10-2002, 01:06 AM
Jenny
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Back from the track:( (sharklover)

My Civicwould own you :D :lol: :lol: ......14.9's and it's only 1.6L... ok i'm done.. sorry :D :lol:
Old 02-10-2002, 10:54 AM
topless68
Melting Slicks

Shane,

Hang in there on the reaction times. I like to stage deep rather than shallow, but that will come. It took me a good year to get down to .5 and sub, a .7 on your first trip is really good though. Also, if you are running street tires, skip backing into the box and getting them wet, you will never heat up tires enough to get you traction. Besides, if spinning on the line is costing you that much ET, you need to invest in a set of Hoosiers or small slicks.

Here's one of my greater moments. I was racing out at Ennis (Dallas) one weekend and had my Camaro out there. Pontiac Magazine was doing a story on some cars and wanted to include mine b/c I ran a 455 in it. I was racing a full chasis Camaro, 5 link rear, BB the whole nine yards. I knew he could beat me, he usually ran low 10's and I was running mid to high 10's, but I had a 3000lb stocker. Anyway, we went through our routine, I let him satge first, then me. As always after pre stage, I put it into neutral, clear the throttle, blip the N2 a couple of times and make sure the line is pressured up. Keep in mind, the whole track has been waiting to see this run, cameras ready and everything. (I have also been racing for about 4-5 yrs). Well, I roll into the second light, bring my rpm's up just a tad where I normally do, and watch the tree come down. Green!! I nail it.......and nothing, my tach jumps to about 8 grand, the Camaro is half way down the 1/8, and I'm still sitting at the lights. WTF!! :mad I thought for sure I'd get out and find my rear end in two pieces. But I didn't. I look down at my shifter plate and I had left it in neutral!! :lol: :lol:

I didn't ell anybody until I got over the embaraasment. So take to heart, everybody can bone head evry once in a while.
Old 02-10-2002, 12:58 PM
Warp70
Racer

Default Re: Back from the track:( (Jenny)

My Civicwould own you :D :lol: :lol: ......14.9's and it's only 1.6L... ok i'm done.. sorry :D :lol:
That cut like a knife Jenny :( , But after Wednesday I should be able to say :boxing BRING IT ON!!!!

Topless68 Good Story, I feel a little better :D :D ;)

Get notified of new replies

To Back from the track:(

Quick Reply: Back from the track:(