C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Applying finish to rear diff/suspension

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2002, 10:25 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Applying finish to rear diff/suspension

I am nearly done with the rebuild of the rear suspension on my 78. I am awaiting only the arrival of a shock mount (trailing arm-strut rod) I have been looking at many of the rebuilds that have been done and shown lately on the forum and noticed that many ,if not most- of these have a cast or aluminum color on teh diff and half shafts.

Is this the correct color?

I assume that these parts came originally as bare cast iron, is this true - or should I be looking at getting some cast blast paint.

right now everything I have has been gloss black POR-15'd - once the shock mount arrives the whole thing will be reinstalled.

Any opinions? Is all black just a bit to - well - pedestrian. Is a cast blast color abit more, you know- Corvette !
Old 02-08-2002, 11:13 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Applying finish to rear diff/suspension (fauxrs)

After I blasted my shafts clean, I painted them with POR-15 metal prep, then POR-15, then covered it with cast blast. I painted the pumpkin with cast blast too, it looks great!
Old 02-08-2002, 11:17 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Not sure what was original but you're probably right with the cast. If you are looking to the NCRS route (all original) then you may want to order the 78 Judging Manual from http://www.ncrs.org.

In my case, I wanted something that looked decent but would last a while. I used Eastwood's Detail Gray on the shafts and diff. The rest is a rustoleum semi-gloss black.

Old 02-08-2002, 11:31 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Applying finish to rear diff/suspension (78Vette-SA)

Not sure what was original but you're probably right with the cast. If you are looking to the NCRS route (all original) then you may want to order the 78 Judging Manual from http://www.ncrs.org.

In my case, I wanted something that looked decent but would last a while. I used Eastwood's Detail Gray on the shafts and diff. The rest is a rustoleum semi-gloss black.
I'm definitly not looking to go NCRS - my ZR-1 tailcone and Autometer gauges pretty much rule that out :lol:

I'm very partial to the look of your rear (suspension that is :lol: ) and am leaning in that direction - is detail gray brighter than cast blast?

all black just seems to darm plain to me.

[Modified by fauxrs, 7:32 PM 2/8/2002]
Old 02-09-2002, 10:52 AM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Detail gray is lighter than the cast blast and covers much better. You almost can't run it. If you put runs in it, as it drys, it smooths itself out. It's really beautiful stuff.

I did not prime anything. I just painted on the Detail Gray and it stuck like glue. Like I said, after 3 years under there (only about 5k miles, no rain and garaged though) it's still like the day I painted it.

Another view:

[Modified by 78Vette-SA, 9:53 AM 2/9/2002]
Old 02-09-2002, 11:36 AM
paso
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with 78vette-sa its fantastic stuff http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/pas...inted_diff.jpg

[Modified by paso, 9:37 AM 2/9/2002]
Old 02-09-2002, 12:23 PM
ScubaJKD
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

78Vette-SA,

Wayyy Sweeet
:cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Applying finish to rear diff/suspension

Quick Reply: Applying finish to rear diff/suspension