C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it feasible to lower the motor to gain hood clearance

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2002, 08:11 PM
69 N.O.X. RATT
Safety Car

Location: Pettis Performance 565 with two stages of Nitrous Supply nitrous 1.082, 4.61 at 155, 7.17 at 192
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Is it feasible to lower the motor to gain hood clearance

As most of you know I am running an RPM air gap on my 454 with a realitivly big solid roller cam. I know my intake is holding back the potential of my motor, along with my unported Edelbrock RPM heads. I plan on getting the heads ported out later.

I would like to run a Victor jr. intake, but due to hood clearance issues it will not fit under my L-88 hood. Is it feasible to cut the motor mounts and lower the motor down .6 to .7 of an inch. I do not need much. The Victor jr. is only 1/2 inch taller than the Air Gap.

I am already running a two inch drop base. I can not run anymore of a drop base due to clearance issues with the Fogger lines. :chevy
Old 02-08-2002, 08:24 PM
blue_stingray
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Is it feasible to lower the motor to gain hood clearance (69 N.O.X. RATT)

i don't think you could-- there's alot of clearance issues to deal with by lowering the motor, even if it is only 1/2 inch. i have a 7 quart pan on my small block, and i barely have 1/4 space between the front of the pan and the power steering. then's there the exuast, unless you have a flexible section in there somewhere. i solved my clearance problems by cutting the hood and installing an aftermarket big block vette scoop.
Old 02-08-2002, 08:33 PM
A C
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Is it feasible to lower the motor to gain hood clearance (blue_stingray)

I have to agree....it might be easier to get someone to custom glass an L88 hood to have a 1 inch higher bulge.

AC
Old 02-08-2002, 08:38 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Default Re: Is it feasible to lower the motor to gain hood clearance (69 N.O.X. RATT)

Ratt,
You will probably have to go to a solid steel (non rubber) custom made motor mount but it is easily done, and while your at it move it back an inch. Your car will handle better also. Just measure the oil pac clearance you might also consider a wide road race oil pan. ....redvetracr
Old 02-08-2002, 08:44 PM
69 N.O.X. RATT
Safety Car

Location: Pettis Performance 565 with two stages of Nitrous Supply nitrous 1.082, 4.61 at 155, 7.17 at 192
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Is it feasible to lower the motor to gain hood clearance (redvetracr)

I have thought about having the hood fabbed up, however, I like the look of a stock L-88. Thanks for the replys :chevy

Get notified of new replies

To Is it feasible to lower the motor to gain hood clearance

Quick Reply: Is it feasible to lower the motor to gain hood clearance