C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wiper motor trouble

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2002, 07:04 PM
Jimmy Shepherd
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiper motor trouble

my wipers have quit working on my 78. How do you confirm if the motor is bad or if it is the switch ? On the 3 conn. plug going to the motor the center wire (yellow) is hot when ignition is on. The other 2 wires are not hot in any switch position. Is this correct. What happened to the tunedport 78 site for 78 wiring? It sure was a big help.
Old 02-08-2002, 08:25 PM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

Default Re: wiper motor trouble (Jimmy Shepherd)

I'm not sure of the wiring.
Try cleaning each of the wires and terminals - MOST importantly the grounds.
Did you check the fuse?
Old 02-09-2002, 03:54 PM
ZR1 Chaser
Racer

Default Re: wiper motor trouble (Jimmy Shepherd)

Jimmy:
Ours quit also. Would go up 1/2 way and then stop. Pop the hood and listen or watch and see if the motor is in fact turning. Wiggle all the connections. I ended replacing a motor that was still good. End result was the switch inside the car was bad. Ecklers has 2 switches. 1 is really $$ go with the less $$ one. My wipers are fine now and even have 3 speeds. Also take care taking dash apart. We will not discuss the new crack I found. Harrumph.

Another idea before going into a lot of $$ could be a fuse ? Take a test light and disconnect the power to the wiper motor and turn on the wiper switch see if you have any power going to the hook up for the motor. Try it on all speeds. If you have no power could be a fuse. Depending on where you are, NAPA Auto parts had a good not high $$ motor. You will just have to change the cover. If you are unsure how to do that they are always willing to help.

Hope it is the motor the switch is a real bugger to change. I can do it now blindfolded.

Good luck hope this helped,

Bob

Get notified of new replies

To wiper motor trouble

Quick Reply: wiper motor trouble