C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick track tips??????

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2002, 06:55 PM
Warp70
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick track tips??????

I am heading over to the quarter mile track in Orlando tonight, and I am nervous to say the least. Does anyone have any quick tips to get the best time.........and don't say don't wreck, because I know that one already. Is race gas going to increase my performance at all, or is it a waste of money??? Do you guys hold down the accelerator and brake at the same time before take off ....or do you just hold the brake and punch it before you see the green light????? If you couldn't tell, I've never done this before so all advice is welcome :seeya
Old 02-08-2002, 07:10 PM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Quick track tips?????? (Warp70)

First off, just take it easy and dont get to nervous...no matter what, you most likely will but try not to...

Take it easy on the first run, and launch at a low RPM and work your way up.

After a few runs you might want to try to shift your transmission manually each gear up, but dont overrev.

Thats all i can reall think of when it comes to an automatic....anyone else??

oh yeah....and have fun! :smash:

[Modified by 74VETTE, 6:11 PM 2/8/2002]
Old 02-08-2002, 07:19 PM
Rockn-Roll
Melting Slicks

I'm a stick shift man myself, so there's no way I can help you with getting a good launch with the automatic tranny. But, here's a few tips from my single excursion:

* Always do a burn out...pebbles and dirt build up on the tire when driving around to get back in line...there's a lot of sticky rubber on the track which "glues" loose pebbles to the tires which would cause the tire to slip a bit...burning off the tires not only cleans your tire and gets it up to temp, but it's a courtesy to other drivers so that you don't leave loose pebbles on the track for them to spin on.

* If you have a convertible or T-tops then take a helmet in case they inforce NHRA rules. It doesn't look like you need race gas...race gas is just for those with higher compression ratios like 10:1. From your signature it looks like a stock 8.5:1 or 9:1...anyway, check your compression ratio to be sure...also, if it runs without ping on the highway then it's a good chance that racing gas isn't required.

* Change your oil before you go. Dirty oil can cause excessive wear under heavy acceleration, and suck up horsepower.

* Check your tire inflation before you go...most people recommend full pressure on the front so that they roll easy, but soften the rear so they flatten out for better traction...under no circumstances should you drive on the highway with less than 20lb though...for saftey. Try around 24lb in the rear if you want to.

* HAVE FUN!

Old 02-08-2002, 07:23 PM
RaC3R
Instructor

Warp, if you've never done this before you will not forget this night - I'm sure everyone pleasantly remember their first time at the track :D. My first time was with my 97 Z28 and I knew absolutely nothing. Check out this link as it will answer all of your questions:
http://racinghelp.com/article_racing-2.html

And I wouldn't bother with the racing gas IMHO but maybe others are more qualified in this area to give you an answer. Good luck and post the results! :cool:
Old 02-08-2002, 07:28 PM
Captain Morgan
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Default Re: Quick track tips?????? (Rockn-Roll)

Not sure on the auto tranny, but I've heard two different theories. Some say to hold the brake and bring the revs up to just below where the car starts to move, and then on launch, floor it. Others say to just wait till it's time to go and then stand on it. I think it also has to do with the stall speed of your converter. The best advice I can tell you, is to try different things depending on how many runs you get in.

BTW, don't wait for the green light, go on the third yellow. If you see the green light, R/T is going to suck. Is this a test and tune or is it bracket racing? Start out slow to get used to it and then have fun. Good luck. Let us know your times.
Old 02-08-2002, 08:45 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: Quick track tips?????? (sharklover)

Can't help you with the auto tranny but work your way up. Take it easy on the first run and get used to the track and car before trying to really flog the car. It takes lots of practice. i still stink at it and have over 100 runs in the last 3 years. Getting better but every time you go you learn something new. Have fun with it.
Old 02-08-2002, 10:09 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Quick track tips?????? (sharklover)

The two above methods for launching an auto are really determined by how you feel about them. Everyone has their own favorite way.
But you are probably gone by now!

For the first run I'd make it as simple as possible, just wait for the last yellow, and punch it, keep it to the floor untill you know you are past the end...

The idea of power braking the trans is that the engine is allready working and will react sooner. The other therory is that you can pick a launch RPM and see how the car reacts, hopefully being more consistant...
Downside is heating of the trans fluid...

Stomping on the gas causes the engine to rev and 'flashes' the converter past it's normal stall speed alowing the engine to get further into it's power band. I think its harder to be consistant this way, but easier to do right

[Modified by 427V8, 8:10 PM 2/8/2002]
Old 02-08-2002, 10:17 PM
Maurice
Safety Car

Try to get there with as little gas as you need to get back to a gas station afterwards also. The difference between a full tank and almost empty tank can be significant.
Old 02-08-2002, 10:34 PM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Default Re: Quick track tips?????? (Maurice)

Power brake, or torque converter flash...

The flash makes less heat... pop the throttle then pop it again and hold it off the line... so you are under the point that it starts to grab

good luck warp :cheers:
Old 02-08-2002, 10:35 PM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Default Re: Quick track tips?????? (ZD75blue)

errr... just read some of the other posts... converter flashes have already been covered :bb
Old 02-09-2002, 03:42 PM
The Dude
Race Director

--Race gas = never mind.

--NO BURNOUT with street tires. Maybe just a quick dry hop to clean off loose debris. Heating up street tires makes them more slippery. And, please, stay out of the water with street tires, OK?

--Launch = I go from just off-idle with mine. (2400 RPM converter). And since I run at a notoriously slippery track I will "roll" into the throttle when I'm running street tires instead of "stabbing" it to avoid as much spin as possible.

--Trans in "1" at the line. Leave halfway through the third yellow. Throttle to the floor. Shift to "2" at 5,000 RPM. Shift to "D" at 5,000 RPM. Keep the throttle buried until you're completely through the traps.

Have fun.
Old 02-09-2002, 04:56 PM
Warp70
Racer

Default Re: Quick track tips?????? (The Dude)

So Dude.......your saying I shouldn't have made my complete run in 2nd?????? Just Kidding, I know I goofed up. Good advice though. I am going to get a feel for the car just running it in drive, and then I will start trying to shift through the gears as you advise.......I guess I need to get a Tach cable :yesnod:
Old 02-09-2002, 06:05 PM
Captain Morgan
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

If you decide to shift through the gears in your auto, you may want to get a shift light to help keep you consistent. Also wouldn't hurt to get your vette on a dyno so you can see the curve and get a better idea of when you need to shift to stay around the peak. Just a thought.

Avery

Get notified of new replies

To Quick track tips??????

Quick Reply: Quick track tips??????