C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid Valve Cover Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2002, 11:44 AM
JimBRO
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid Valve Cover Question

Mosty of the nice looking chrome vlave covers (crossed flags, 350 emblem, etc) have only two holes. My 350 has three holes (PCV, Air from air filter and oil fill). Anybody seen a nice looking chrome cover with three holes.

Thanks in advance
JimBRO
Old 02-08-2002, 12:02 PM
dkw
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Stupid Valve Cover Question (JimBRO)

I ordered a set for my 77 from Ecklers as I had the same problem as you in finding ones with the proper holes. The ones I received were part # 39073 @ 39.99 for the pair. They are listed on page 120 of the 2001 Spring/Summer catalog No. 131. (Sorry thats the only and most recent catalog I have)
I have not installed them yet, but they appear OK and look the same as the steel originals. The only problem I had was I thought I would order new grommets (page 284 part # 25102) as well but the ones sent were to small for the holes. I made a quick trip to a local speed shop and they had all kinds for a proper fit for the air breather pipe and PCV valve - something like $2.00 each.
I also picked up a chrome oil cap at the same place - $5.00.
Hope this helps.
Old 02-08-2002, 12:19 PM
JimBRO
Instructor

Default Re: Stupid Valve Cover Question (dkw)

Thank you for the exact part number, it allowed me to find it on ecklers.com very quickly. Good looking at a decent price.

Thanks again
JimBRO
Old 02-08-2002, 12:27 PM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

Before you order any covers, measure the diameter of your pcv & fresh air holes. I believe your holes should be 1" diameter. All of the lower priced valve covers I've looked at have 1-1/4" holes and won't work properly with the beveled factory grommet for the stock setup. I'm opting to clean and repaint my stock ones silver since anything I do to this engine will be pissing money in the wind since I'm going to build or buy a brand new engine down the road and then I'll want a set of covers that cost $200 plus and it's hard to justify that much money for covers now.

Nice car by the way! :seeya
Old 02-08-2002, 12:33 PM
dkw
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

No problem, hope they work out OK for you.
FYI I also ordered the Chrome Air Conditioning Cover - part# A4853 @ 43.99 - page 117. While I have not put it on yet (cold up here) its looks real good and is quite sturdy and seems well made - just thought I would pass this along.
Good luck.
Old 02-08-2002, 02:09 PM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

I pulled those up on eckler's website as well. FYI, they won't work with the stock setup.
Old 02-08-2002, 05:08 PM
JimBRO
Instructor

Default Re: Stupid Valve Cover Question (74-Roadster)

74-Roadster, good to hear from you. We had e-mailed a while ago because I loved the look of those rims or your car. Debated trying to get a pair of L82 valve covers for the vette, but may just go your route and clean up what I have and just get the engine bay as clean looking as possible.

Thanks everyone
JimBRO
Old 02-08-2002, 05:27 PM
79MakoL82
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just cleaned up my L82 covers and re-painted them. On my Z28, I purchased the cast aluminum ones that look exactly like the L82's, but aren't painted black. Either one of those will look good for a stock set-up and have three holes. With the two hole set-up, use one for a PCV valve, and the other one for a nice chrome breather. Use the beather side as your oil fill up. They're easy enough to pull out.

Get notified of new replies

To Stupid Valve Cover Question

Quick Reply: Stupid Valve Cover Question