C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to accurately mix paint,sealer and primer ratio's, plus other paint ???'s

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2002, 09:29 AM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 161 Likes on 49 Posts

Default How to accurately mix paint,sealer and primer ratio's, plus other paint ???'s

1. What is the best and easiest method for mixixing Paint ratio's before spraying??

2. How warm should the outside temp be before spraying?

3. I am painting my Vette black. Is this a color that a first time painter can do?

4. What type or brand of filter mask should I use?

5. I have an attached garage. Can I paint in here? If so how should I prep and ventalate the area?

Many more ??'s to flow I'm sure.
Old 02-08-2002, 09:55 AM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: How to accurately mix paint,sealer and primer ratio's, plus other paint ???'s (wadew10)

1. Get a mixing bucket from the local paint supply house, it has all kinds of little marks on it to make it easy to mix stuff at 3:1, 10:1 etc.

2. You NEED to get the data sheets for the paint you are using! Do you think you can GUESS how to spray the paint :rolleyes:

3. Black is no harder to spray than anyother color, some people say that black paint shows more defects than other colors, other people say all body work should be good enough to paint black...

4. depends on what paint system you are using. If it's catalized you SHOULD be using a fresh air system. If you don't you WILL get nerve damage...

5. Lots of plastic, lots of duct tape to seal everything, Big filters.... This topic alone could be a book...
Old 02-08-2002, 10:16 AM
Casper
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: How to accurately mix paint,sealer and primer ratio's, plus other paint ???'s (wadew10)

I'll try to help you out here but I'm sure someone else can give you more info. I haven't painted for about 20 years but I used to be the main painter for big rigs in OKC.

1st-they make a thing called a Zion cup. There will be instrcutions with it. It's cheap but you'll need a way to time it. That is the best way to judge how to tell the correct viscosity. The old painters trick is to thin you material to a viscosity where when you take your stir stick out, hold it on it's side and see how the material runs off. What your want is for the material to run to the bottom of the stick before it runs off. NO drips along the way.

2nd- you can buy thinners for different temps and reducers for humidity. Don't forget FEE. (Fish Eye Eliminater)

3rd-Black is an easy color if your good. The prep must be perfect, though! Tach cloths are a must. Black will show every little dust particle that lands on wet paint. I've seen some real mess's made by rookies.

4th-A fresh air mask is best but expendsive. A chemical mask with both prefilter and charcoal element will do fine. Binks makes a good one.

5th-Good work can be done in a garage but don't try to bring in fresh air. You will only succeed in stir-up dust. Wet the floor and walls well. If you have a small window you might secure a small exhaust fan to take overspray out. Once you finished, just lay the gun down and quitely leave. Don't walk around admiring your work. BTW, don't wear fuzzy clothes either!

I hope this helps.

[Modified by Casper, 8:29 AM 2/8/2002]

[Modified by Casper, 8:31 AM 2/8/2002]
Old 02-08-2002, 10:32 AM
gerry72
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

To back up Keith's message...
Every paint manufacturer publishes complete instructions for every paint system they offer. The instructions give the mixing ratios, application guidelines, and cautions. Your automotive paint supply store will have the application guidance available free to anyone who wants it. It's also a good place to get some recommendations. A mixing ratio cup costs a couple of bucks. You can't guess at any of this.

Black is no harder to apply than anyother color, but your subsurface better be perfect since every little flaw will be apparent by an order of magnatude.

Any paint system has toxic potential, but urethanes are the most dangerous. You better heed the warnings.

You can achieve a professional result in your garage. Just be safe and use some common sense (like, oh, turning off the pilot light to the water heater and removing other ignition sources from the explosive environment).
Old 02-08-2002, 10:47 AM
kenincanada
Racer

A freind offer to paint my 73 duster. I did the body,sand,mask etc.in my drive in garage.He needed extra lights on the sides at floor level,rented an industrial fan[good thing]took out a window fit perfect.hosed down the floor.put a good warer separater in my air line.he starts to paint. when finished everthing in my shop was covered in overspray.He was dizzy from the fumes[had a good resparater]the job turned not bad [pric was write] He had trouble with the sides,front,rear due to lack of space[some foggy areas]Bottom line I would NEVER paint a car in my garage again or do it myself. any mistakes and your sanding it all off. Waste of time and paint. My 02 cents
Old 02-08-2002, 11:00 AM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: How to accurately mix paint,sealer and primer ratio's, plus other paint ???'s (kenincanada)

Actually they way I look at it is the worst that can happen is you'll have to sand it off and start all over...

But when it's done, you did it!
Old 02-08-2002, 11:26 AM
kenincanada
Racer

Default Re: How to accurately mix paint,sealer and primer ratio's, plus other paint ???'s (427V8)

Yes Keith I do Agree But some things are best left for the pros.Mybe get an old hood or something and practise and get the feel of the gun.And its the prep. work that makes job.
Old 02-08-2002, 11:29 AM
TerryN68
Instructor

I'm still in the process of painting mine. The body is done, but I'm doing the doors, hood, headlight covers and others, separate. I followed most of the instructions offered on the Forum and everyone has provided a wealth of information. I found the Tech Tip article by LARS, in the C3 section invaluable. I also purchased six books and one video on painting your own car (in the garage..). You can find all the paint/primer spec sheets on the Internet. They include all the information about the product including temps, compatibility issues, drying time, sanding time, etc.

Some of the people I talked with that worked at the paint supply store would have lead me astray without studying beforehand.

I still made mistakes (dang buffer) and continue to ask questions here.

My best purchases where a good HVLP paint gun - very little overspray and
a great filter system for the compressor.

T

Get notified of new replies

To How to accurately mix paint,sealer and primer ratio's, plus other paint ???'s

Quick Reply: How to accurately mix paint,sealer and primer ratio's, plus other paint ???'s