C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.56 Installed!!! Pics, 2 Q's, and a SAFETY lesson I almost learned the hard way

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2002, 04:44 AM
BAD-L88
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Default 4.56 Installed!!! Pics, 2 Q's, and a SAFETY lesson I almost learned the hard way

Well I finally got my rear end back with all of the components that go with it. It has original GM 4.56 gears (like it did when it was born before they were robbed) and a correct original carrier. I instaleed the rear cover, the cross member, tongue, and finally the entire assembly to the frame all by myself today. I don't recommend doing the last part alone but I was anxious to get rolling.

Question 1, Should the cover bolts be torqued to any particular spec? I couldn't find it in the assembly manual so I set the top ones to 50 ft-lbs since they would be inaccessible after installstion and hand tightend the rest.

Question 2, Does the cushion above the diff tongue (pic #53) look right to you guys? I think I had it on upside down at first and I believe it is correct now.

Safety lesson, after I got it up to the frame and the two bolts tightened I proceeded to torque the 2 bolts to spec. I used the original bolts sonce they were a little longer than the replacements and they seemed to catch easier. Since the bolts were tight and the unit was in place I was going to lower the jack, I don't know why I didn't. I torqed one side, then I began to torque the other and the bolt broke. If it wasn't for the jack still being in place the entire assembly could have come crashing down. So, WHEN TORQUING DIFFERENTIAL CROSSMEMBER BOLTS, MAKE SURE DIFFERENTIAL ASSEMBLY IS STILL SUPPORTED BY FLOOR JACK ALTHOUGH YOU THINK IT MIGHT BE ALREADY SECURED.

Diff pics, #52-#57
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/badl88/vw...ar.jpg&.view=t
&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/bc/badl88/lst%3f%26.dir=/My%2bPhotos%26.src=ph%26.view=t

I might have the Richmond 3.70 gears available (free) to anyone who wants them from the board. I am told they are not in the greatest shape but I have not looked at them yet. I will photo and post pics this weekend.
Old 02-08-2002, 08:35 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: 4.56 Installed!!! Pics, 2 Q's, and a SAFETY lesson I almost learned the hard way (BAD-L88)

4.56 gears with that motor. That should be a rocket. Are you going to use slicks. 50 ft/lbs is correct for the carrier cover
Old 02-08-2002, 08:40 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: 4.56 Installed!!! Pics, 2 Q's, and a SAFETY lesson I almost learned the hard way (BAD-L88)

Nice finish on the parts. That is also nice to give someone the 3.73 gears. As far as the front mount I can't tell from the pictures. I installed one last week and it looks straight forward.
Nice job.
Old 02-08-2002, 12:33 PM
TravMsns
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BAD L88 check your mail
Old 02-08-2002, 05:13 PM
BAD-L88
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

The gears are now spoken for. They are all yours Trav.

Thanks for the torque numbers.

[Modified by BAD-L88, 1:16 PM 2/8/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To 4.56 Installed!!! Pics, 2 Q's, and a SAFETY lesson I almost learned the hard way

Quick Reply: 4.56 Installed!!! Pics, 2 Q's, and a SAFETY lesson I almost learned the hard way