C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rice or Nice?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2002, 10:54 PM
Cookwithvette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rice or Nice?

I don't mean to insult or put down those who prefer the import style, I just don't want to look like them. I'm installing a new set of Autometer guages in the center console and they come with bulb covers to change the illumination color. At least out of the car I kind of like the look of green lights. I'm just worried they'll look like crap in the car.

So what do you guys think?
Old 02-07-2002, 10:57 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Rice or Nice? (Cookwithvette)

I used red on my car - because the car is red - i considered green because it would match the green display of the cd player but decided on red anyway.
Old 02-07-2002, 11:39 PM
Jenny
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Rice or Nice? (fauxrs)

I was running green in the civic... very :cool:
Old 02-07-2002, 11:50 PM
spiru
Instructor

Do what you like, after all its your car... :cheers:

[Modified by spiru, 3:51 AM 2/8/2002]
Old 02-07-2002, 11:54 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: Rice or Nice? (fauxrs)

And the color of the car and interior are ............. ???
Old 02-07-2002, 11:59 PM
Cookwithvette
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Rice or Nice? (BSeery)

Black with dark red interior.
Old 02-08-2002, 12:03 AM
Randy K
Pro

nice
Old 02-08-2002, 05:56 PM
Captain Morgan
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Default Re: Rice or Nice? (BSeery)

And the color of the car and interior are ............. ???
What about the color of any other guages or displays? CD player, etc. Green usually looks better but if it doesn't match what you already have, it can look weird.
Old 02-08-2002, 08:48 PM
Armstrong
Burning Brakes

I'm in the middle of redoing my interior and just replaced all mine with the blue ones. Will see what that does. It's OK to customize in moderation. It's not like you want to put neon lights under it.
Old 02-09-2002, 01:00 AM
Cookwithvette
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Rice or Nice? (sharklover)

The the tach and speedometer are stock. All center guages (including clock are being replaced.) Radio is stock style but not stock. I'm thinking about replacing it with a minidisc player but not sure about that. I'd like to replace the crap-a-licous radio while the center panel is out but thanks to my current job (:bs) funds have been running short lately. :(

As an update on my adventure, I got the panel out today with incredible ease. The reason: the git who owned the car before me put it back in wrong. Half of the screws were missing and I realized that the upper bit that everybody was warning me not to break was already broken. Boy, some of the weird azz things I've been finding on this car have been making me wonder how much crack the previous owner used to smoke in a day. Oh well, got the guages in but they didn't quite mount the way I thought (hoped) they would. You need to wrap the rubber band partly around the back of the guage bezel, otherwise the guage will fall straight through the opening. Also, because the rear pan isn't used with these gauges, the idiot lights on either side of the top guages don't have anything to support lights anymore. I'll just have to rig something up to hold the lights. Not exactly a drop in replacement but should be fairly easy to finish.

I have a 12 volt transformer in the house and I've tried lighting the guages while installed in the panel. Red looks a little on the pink side, green looks alien-esque, bare looks a little odd. I'm starting to lean towards green.

Now for the Duh! moment. All of the gauges are electronic except for one, oil pressure, which is mechanical. The electronic ones have a black bezel on them, the mechanical one has a silver bezel. Same with the faces, electronic-white, mechanical-silver. So, my Oil Pressure guage looks different from the others but surprisingly it doesn't look too bad. I'll have photos in a few weeks probably.

Thanks for your suggestions folks!!!
-Matt

Get notified of new replies

To Rice or Nice?

Quick Reply: Rice or Nice?