C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ERR valve and gasket replacement... how to do it properly?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2002, 02:43 PM
luvmy73
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ERR valve and gasket replacement... how to do it properly?

Hey guys I just received my new EGR valve and gasket for my 73 vette, now how do I install in properly? Do i need to add some sort of sealant around the gasket before I put it on or not? Alsois there anything else I should know about installing it?

Thanks,

Michael.
Old 02-07-2002, 03:03 PM
john's '81 mouse
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: ERR valve and gasket replacement... how to do it properly? (luvmy73)

Just make sure both surfaces are clean and dry, assume EGR valve surface is OK, since you said it's new. No need to put any sealant on either gasket or surface, simply install and tighten, and should be fine assuming both surfaces are clean and level.
Old 02-07-2002, 03:06 PM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: ERR valve and gasket replacement... how to do it properly? (luvmy73)

I smeared a small amount of ultra black on both sides of my gasket when I reinstalled mine.

FYI,

My manifold was completely plugged with carbon so the EGR was not functional. You may want to check that. I cleaned the manifold out when it was off but the EGR is unhooked anyway. The other parts to make it functional TVS, new water neck and one other item were too much money to make it work since this engine is going to be replaced. :D
Old 02-07-2002, 03:07 PM
kenincanada
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: ERR valve and gasket replacement... how to do it properly? (john's '81 mouse)

maybe resnug after its warmed up[like all exhast components]
Old 02-07-2002, 03:12 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

A little sealant will not hurt but it is not necessary. A little bit of anti-seize on the studs will ensure that the nuts come off in future. SS nuts are even better.

Get notified of new replies

To ERR valve and gasket replacement... how to do it properly?

Quick Reply: ERR valve and gasket replacement... how to do it properly?