C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rare Vettes Belong In The Corvette Museum??

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2002, 11:43 AM
Vettesic
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Rare Vettes Belong In The Corvette Museum??

Ever look at a really rare or original vette and think to yourself... this vette should be in the Corvette Museum? Say an L-88. There is a post earlier about a 67 L-88 for sale. I know these cars when found go for sick loot and someone has a lot of cash tied up in them. However, that 67 is an example of a vette that belongs in the CM. Sound unrealistic.....What do you think?
Old 02-07-2002, 11:57 AM
Cajun99
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Rare Vettes Belong In The Corvette Museum?? (Vettesic)

I don't think it's completely unreasonable. I think that the CM should have a prime example of every model year (preferably the example would represent the highest HP and most optioned or maybe the most popular by units sold?).

There a probably a dozen different angles as to which, of each year, should be in a museum. That's just my opinion.

To me something like the '67 L88 is a really hot car but when or where could you actually use it as a personal owner considering the investment.

My personal all time favorite is the '67 Nassau Blue coupe (black stinger), 427/435hp, factory side pipes and 4-speed with as many performance options as possible. Those cars are the Baddest to me but I'm sure all here have a personal favorite. :cheers: If I had one, or could afford one, it would definitely NEVER be a trailor queen.
Old 02-07-2002, 12:02 PM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they make parts to fix em... drive it

Old 02-07-2002, 12:11 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Vettesic: Nice color on your car! (check my sig :D )
My opinion?? Most rare Vette's don't see the street anyway. Since they are so expensive, they are locked up somewhere as part of a rare car collection, trailered to shows, and maybe only driven in a parade or two each year.. if that! Some (not all) are bought for investment purposes by those who don't know a T-Arm from an A-Arm, and kept from being driven for fear of "depreciation". What a shame! Put in a Museum..no. Moreso..sold to someone who can appreciate, maintain, and utilize the machine for what it was intended.... CRUSIN!!... YEAH... someone like me!! :jester (at a reduced price of coarse) :jester :jester
Old 02-07-2002, 12:32 PM
flood
Race Director

Default Re: Rare Vettes Belong In The Corvette Museum?? (Silvr77)

I think they deserve to be driven. Put them in the musem when all the gas is gone !!!

I personally think that a 500+hp corvette would be happier on the road. :yesnod:
Old 02-07-2002, 08:10 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

I believe that rare Corvettes do deserve to be in the Museum. They are a part of our "Corvette History" and such and really do need to be preserved, but for the "average" Corvette owner here that owns the "average" Corvette, those preserved Vettes do miss out on the funnest thing to do and that is to DRIVE!!! My C3s have a combined mileage of 365,000miles and yes they are "cruised" to the max. Drive them far and often, just not in the salt :lol:
Old 02-07-2002, 08:46 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Vettesic,
My view is the opposite of yours, the rarest Corvettes are the high horsepower cars (streetable race cars) built to be on a "race track" be it a road course or a drag strip,(at least once in a while). ...redvetracr
Old 02-07-2002, 08:56 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Rare Vettes Belong In The Corvette Museum?? (redvetracr)

I am of the opinion that they should be in the museum but not under museum ownership. Under private ownership. If I owned one of these the perfect scenario for me would be to keep it in the museum so long as the museum takes fabulous care of it, and I would take it out a couple times a year to large corvette gatherings to do a little autocrossing. That way the public could enjoy the car both being driven and in the museum. I can't think of any better place to store a car like that either.
Old 02-08-2002, 01:05 AM
BAD-L88
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: Rare Vettes Belong In The Corvette Museum?? (Dalannex)

I think they belong on the road, even the most expensive ones. they should be driven and if they are damaged they should be properly repaired and driven again.
Old 02-08-2002, 01:11 AM
Rexx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many of the cars in the CM are "on loan." Their owners have chosen to display the cars for 3 to 9 months. I don't remember who foots the bill for transport; I think the owner. The CM folks clean them up as necessary.

There are others on this forum that probably know more (and better) than I.

Rexx
Old 02-08-2002, 11:09 AM
Vettesic
Drifting

Default Re: Rare Vettes Belong In The Corvette Museum?? (Rexx)

Sounds like some yaas and and more naas. You guys are forgetting that once these rare irreplaceable vettes are gone...that's it. What if that 67 L-88 was on it's way to a cruise night because it's owner thinks his rare vette should be a driver. And due to the fact it is his car he has that right! But think about this....another car comes from behind and rear-ends the L-88 totally destroying it, not to mention the possable injury to it's occupants. If that car was tucked away safley in the CM, that never would have happened. Yea I know...That's a "What-If" My opinion still stands. Put em in a museum :D L8TER, Paul.
Old 02-08-2002, 06:39 PM
SBR
Safety Car

Received 678 Likes on 382 Posts

While I believe that the NCM should have the rarest Vettes on display I feel that Vettes are meant to be driven and that is where the most enjoyment is,even if it is an L88 going for a Sunday morning romp down the highway!
Old 02-08-2002, 10:38 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Sounds like some yaas and and more naas. You guys are forgetting that once these rare irreplaceable vettes are gone...that's it.
I can understand this viewpoint but I will go out on a limb here and say the following.

What of it?

So the last L-88 corvette is gone? The person who owned it certainly didnt enjoy it as it slowly (very slowly) decomposes in a museum. I can see no point in owning a car if all you want to do is shove it in a bubble and ignore it.

A friend of mine is a very rabid collector, he has in the past owned classic Bugattis, ferraris and jaguars, he recently purchased a Superbird and a Viper. He refuses to drive any of them. they are each stored in a vacuum baggie on blocks in a building he purchased just for that reason (makes me sick). He and I frequently go round and round on this very subject. He thinks I am a stupid car nut because I would want to do a lap around the industrial complex (on weekends) in a Ferrari GTO. and I call him an idiot when he takes me to a Chrysler/ Doge sponsered event showcasing Vipers and we show up in his 78 Firebird :crazy:

I say drive em if you got em, when their gone we will lament their loss. If they are hiden away or located in one spot in the world - they do the world no good.

And how come the National air and space museum doesnt take the Wright flyer out for a turn about DC every now and then? :lol:
Old 02-08-2002, 11:05 PM
Vettesic
Drifting

Default Re: Rare Vettes Belong In The Corvette Museum?? (fauxrs)

A friend of mine is a very rabid collector, he has in the past owned classic Bugattis, ferraris and jaguars, he recently purchased a Superbird and a Viper. He refuses to drive any of them. they are each stored in a vacuum baggie on blocks in a building he purchased just for that reason (makes me sick).
What of it...You say??!! Why does the action of your friend make you sick?? He sees the rarity of these precious automobiles for what they are at this point in time. I totally agree with him. Thanks to men like him and the founders of the CM we can all enjoy them...Even if we can't drive them into the asphault. :D Just my opinon. L8TER, Paul.
Old 02-08-2002, 11:14 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Makes me sick...just me - not you - not others - thats okay to each his own.

Besides, nobody enjoys these cars.. they are locked up lest the sunlight touch them. I'm sure if he could inexpensivly bury them he would. I bet in 20 years he'll take them out and get them dry cleaned... I keep coming back and editing this post :lol: I think he's a nut - they are only money to him and maybe thats my biggest complaint. i dont know - something deep inside me just says his type of collecting is wrong.....still i've been to his building twice, both times to help him sweep it out and looking through the bubble to the car is pleasing. the rest of the world will probably have to wait until A. he dies and the estate is liquidated or B. the value of the car increases enough that he sells.

Not holding it too much against him - I sure would like a ride in the buggati (sp?) though :lol:

dont get me wrong I love these cars - I just would drive them (every now and again) He's sure I'm a nutcase - maybe he's right.

If drivin' them is wrong...I dont want to be right. :D

In truth, I think I'm jealous :yesnod:

Cheers :cheers:

[Modified by fauxrs, 7:26 PM 2/8/2002]
Old 02-08-2002, 11:31 PM
Vettesic
Drifting

faurxs,

We may not agree on this post however, one thing is for-sure.....You love to drive yours and I love to drive mine. :seeya L8TER, Paul.
Old 02-08-2002, 11:33 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

faurxs,

We may not agree on this post however, one thing is for-sure.....You love to drive yours and I love to drive mine. :seeya L8TER, Paul.
On that We can Agree :flag

Get notified of new replies

To Rare Vettes Belong In The Corvette Museum??

Old 02-09-2002, 12:24 AM
Tyler Townsley
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 27 Posts

Having just bought the only 'prototype' C-4 in private hands I see both sides of this equation. It is an 87 ZR1 that carried the vin EX5014. It has engineering prototype stuff throughout, including tires, ecm, doors, rear, the list goes on. It is not a driver and will never be such but has 3500 mi on it which was incurred during testing. It currently has no engine as the car was 'destroyed' by removing the engine (a phase 2 LT 5), the vin and returning same to GM. The car was to be destroyed but it was not, it was found by a friend of mine several years ago. I offered to find a motor for him but he declined at the time. I kept pestering him to at least put a motor in it so that it could be dispalyed at the NCM. He finally got tired and sold me the car which I plan to have at the ZR1 gathering in May with or without motor.

I paid good money for the car but not outragious. I am not a speculator but rather an enthusist, I have friends/contacts that can build me a correct motor for the car once I get its history traced which I am doing at this time. As many know the best source for this is Jim Minneker who I talked to last weekend and he is going to try and help trace its history. He made a point I do not have a good answer for, documentation of this car and a correct engine will make the car worth far more than I paid for it yet his work goes unrewarded so why should he help? I (like anyone) would love it if the car were valued at x times what I paid for it however that was not the point when I bought it, I want it to be available for others to see especially this being the 50 th year. I have long been a supporter of the NCM having written the first check that started the ball rolling many years ago and that is where the car should come to rest. However the car will cost me a lot of money given my actual worth and I will not have the luxury of just donating it at some point. Would I be willing to sell the car to the NCM for what I have in it once its done? Yes but the NCM does not have the resources or way to do this so the NCM is at a disadvantage at this time for any historical corvette related items. Will I be willing to have it in the NCM? Sure but at some time estate settlement/cash flow could change anyones best intentions. In the mean time will I enjoy owing this car? You bet. Will it be confined to some dark place in my own private collection? IE will it fit in my unheated/cooled garage next to a project 66, 68 and in process 65 Fairlane? Yeh right. No it will be available and shown where ever I can. This car was part of the story that surrounds the ZR1 and for guys like me thats what its all about.

First a copy of the build sheet.
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/clubs/...buildsheet.jpg

and pictures
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/clubs/..._prototype.jpg
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/clubs/...type43Rear.jpg
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/clubs/...type43door.jpg

Tyler
90 ZR1 168,000 mi
87 ZR1 prototype # 5014
Old 02-09-2002, 09:04 AM
foundvettelifeisgood
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 183 Likes on 86 Posts

I'm with fauxrs on this. He's said it so well, I have nothing to add. What his friend is doing is shameful.
Old 02-09-2002, 09:14 AM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is America----- if you have the money to buy it, then it's yours to do with what you want. If you DON'T like what the buyer is doing with HIS property, by all means feel free to purchase it. my 2c.

Quick Reply: Rare Vettes Belong In The Corvette Museum??