C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keep the C3 or get a C5

Old 02-07-2002, 10:03 AM
catfishjack
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Keep the C3 or get a C5

I know from experience that most on this forum (including me) are C3 fanatics.
I have a 79 L82 4 speed and am considering getting a C5 and selling my car to my brother. Are the C5 going to hold their value in years to come or do I just keep my 79? I just hate putting $$$ into this car I may never get out and I do use mine as a daily driver in the summer time..Probaly about 3500 miles a year.

Old 02-07-2002, 10:05 AM
Eric 96
Safety Car

Default Re: Keep the C3 or get a C5 (catfishjack)

I have been contemplating this for about a year now....I still don't have an answer.
Old 02-07-2002, 10:07 AM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Default Re: Keep the C3 or get a C5 (Eric 70)

C3... it has style, is a classic, and in a few years a C5 will be another used car... then after the used car stage, you have your classic

My question Why wait?
Old 02-07-2002, 10:07 AM
ylose
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Keep the C3 or get a C5 (Eric 70)

I love the C3 and say keep it.

on the other hand you are talking 'daily' driver.....

I guess the quesiton is ....how much wear and tear you put on you daily driver...miles a year, etc. I put over 40,000 miles on a year :eek:
I wouldnt wish that many miles a year on my C3... :nonod:

then again...the C3 is cheaper to fix then a C5 afer your warranty wears out.

guess I didnt help any.... :rolleyes:
Old 02-07-2002, 10:16 AM
Marks69BB
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I were going to have to give up my 69 (which I wouldn't!), I would only settle for 2 others: either a 90's ZR1 or a Z06 for the performance that I would expect. I think in both of these cases, they will continue to hold thier value conpared to the average C4 or C5. :D

[Modified by Marks69BB, 8:17 AM 2/7/2002]
Old 02-07-2002, 12:19 PM
Cajun99
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would keep the C3 and get the C5. I use mine as a daily driver. I bought the C5 for the overall reliability, comfort and performance. My Vert is not suitable for everyday in what I need and like the above post I would not wish to heap that kind of wear and tear on it. It's still a 27 year old car after all and mine in particular is original with low miles. I bought it to use as a cruiser on nice days. I admire those that do use C3s for constant everyday use because of the effort required to maintain them but I don't have the time to be working on mine to keep it roadworthy with that kind of use.

I'm very pleased with my C5. But it does have some technical glitches that Chevy is working on like column lock. Some also have issues with high oil consumption and a host of other small things. I've already had a few things replaced under warranty. Overall though the car is great and runs like a scalded cat!! Like most Vette owners there are also "divisional" lines among the C5 group in body style, mods, value retention, color etc. There are owners that don't have a clue regarding the auto's heritage (see those that "don't wave") and owners who are so technically adept with these cars that it's scary.

I'm not too sure if you can be concerned with one of these cars "holding their value" in today's market. There are too many of them and GM continues to offer incentives that keep the used market prices down. I bought mine because I intend to keep it for awhile and was lucky enough to purchase a fine car at the low end of the price window from an individual but the car's worth will certainly drop over the next few years. Time will tell what the future holds for the C5 much as it has done for the C3. I think that certain desirable versions, such as the Z06, will hold it's own (relatively). But even the new and used Z06 market is suffering. Excellent Z's are going for way under 40K on the used market and we're seeing dealers dropping the MSRP on new ones thousands of dollars just to sell them.

I know you hate to spend dollars on a car that you won't get it back out of but the reality is that there are precious few Corvette owners that ever do. I know, I have had several Vettes and have probably lost money on every one of them but I just love them so much I keep coming back for more. :D
Old 02-07-2002, 12:31 PM
1LE
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I been wanting to do the same thing. I would want to keep the C3, and buy a C5. Problem is I don't want to use either one as a a daily driver. Working in a University enviroment, you can emanige some of the horror stories Ive heard and seen in these parking lots. Also the winters in Kansas can be a little rough at times. When ever I get the C5, I guess I should add about 3 or 4K to the amount, and get an old beater to drive every day.
Old 02-07-2002, 12:35 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

catfishjack: The question you should be asking your self is, Can I afford both? Maybe get that C5 as your daily diver and make that 1979 a weekend cruiser. :cheers:
Old 02-07-2002, 12:44 PM
70L46
Le Mans Master

CF Pit Crew
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Almost CI III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Keep the C3 or get a C5 (groovyjay)

Another vote for keeping the C3 and getting the C5. They complement each other very nicely :yesnod: :cool:
Old 02-07-2002, 12:48 PM
0Mike69@ECS
Former Vendor

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

The C3 and C5 are very different cars. So much so that they are almost impossible to compare. Stock to Stock the C5 pretty much whoops up on the C3 in almost* every aspect. Power...It takes many Mods to run 12's in a C3 (unless your driving an L-88). The C5 is Refined... The ride, handling, and interior appointments of the C5 are tough if not impossiable to achieve in the C3. You can get close, but it's gonna get pricy.

The one department where I think the C3 flat out beats the C5 (or any other car for that matter) is Styling. I think hands down the C3 is the most unique car built from a body style perspective. Park it amoungst a bunch of C4's and C5's and it quickly seperates itself. Behind the wheel there is no comparrison in my opinion. I love looking out over those bulging fenders.

The C3 is a classic. It is now and it always will be. Sure the C5 will come down in Price but it will always be a awesome car. If you want one buy one. Donty think about it as depreciating! You have to enjoy the drive!!!They are great cars, and would probably make for a great Daily Driver. I know I might add one to the garage in the next year. But my C3 wont be going anywere!!!! It couldnt be replaced by a C5. Totally different cars! :yesnod:
Old 02-07-2002, 02:01 PM
vethead
Drifting

Very simple, C3. No other car with such beautiful lines.
Old 02-07-2002, 02:05 PM
Top_Notch
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

Are the C5 going to hold their value in years to come or do I just keep my 79?
If you buy a new c5 it will probably depreciate more than the value of your c3 the day you drive it off the lot. They do hold their value well, but it will be years before it appreciates. C3's are on the bottom...if not on the way up for sure...as far as value. Ride/comfort/creature features is a whole 'nother ball of wax.
Old 02-07-2002, 09:21 PM
KorbenDallas
Melting Slicks

I'd hold off and see what the C6 is going to look like. IMO, the C5 is an instant classic. The impact that the C5 has done on the sports car industry is a HUGE turn-around for Corvette and they will have a significant mark in Corvette history. Sure you see a lot of C5's on the road, but it's always that way with the latest model of Corvette. You never know what Dave Hill will come up with in the C6, but if you judge his past contribution to Corvette then I would be very optimistic!

But it all depends on what you're looking for. Do you want a car that not many people have (C3)? Do you want comfort and convienance (C5)? Or do you want the latest in technology (C6)?

If I had an opportunity to own a C5 z06 over my C3, it would be a hard decision but I would do it. Same goes for the C6. Mind you, I'm in the "younger generation" of Corvette owners so I wouldn't mind trading classic with new tech. I'll probably feel the same way about the C5 about 20 years down the line as middle-aged Corvette owners do about the mid-years and C3's.
Old 02-07-2002, 09:31 PM
kenincanada
Racer

keep the c3 best styling and they will not repeat that EVER
Old 02-07-2002, 09:41 PM
ksbunting
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have faced the same decision.
Keep the C 3 as it has superior and timeless styling. Also, unless you are a computer expert, how do you fix a C 5, the C 3 you can work on with regular tools. Have read to many horror stories about the C 5 glitches and being hostage to the local Chevrolet dealership for repairs again and again and you get to pay over $40,000 for that privilege. No thanks, I kept my C 3, am restoring it , and will have a brand new factory correct C 3 for under $20K including initial purchase price and maintenance since 1972. The numbers made sense to me plus I just love the car and it's looks.
Good luck with your decision
Old 02-07-2002, 10:11 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Keep the C3 or get a C5 (ksbunting)

The C3 is a horrible design, forward visability is dangerously bad, rear visability is worse, the frame flexes like a wet noodle, the interior is cave like, there is zero trunk space, it's as aerodynamic as an octopus, it's suspension design is older than me...

The C5 is a highly evolved, state of the art technolgical marvel, tuned to perfection.

You will have to pry my '69 out of my cold dead hands before I'll take a C5.
Old 02-07-2002, 10:47 PM
73Ken73
Burning Brakes

Is your 79 stock. I would either build the 79 to 350hp or but the C5. If your 79 is stock then the C5 will make it feel like a Vega.

Get notified of new replies

To Keep the C3 or get a C5

Old 02-07-2002, 10:59 PM
Buffalo Dude
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Default Re: Keep the C3 or get a C5 (427V8)

The C3 is a horrible design, forward visability is dangerously bad, rear visability is worse, the frame flexes like a wet noodle, the interior is cave like, there is zero trunk space, it's as aerodynamic as an octopus, it's suspension design is older than me...

The C5 is a highly evolved, state of the art technolgical marvel, tuned to perfection.

You will have to pry my '69 out of my cold dead hands before I'll take a C5.
Well said :yesnod:

I say if you can, keep the c3 and buy a c5. Nothing like vettes from two (or more) different generations in the same house (my family has my stepdad's c2, my c3, and my mom's c5).

But if you can't, I say stick with c3. Sure it takes a lot of work, but where else could you get head turning attention like no other car?

But of course, to each his own :chevy
Old 02-08-2002, 07:32 AM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

keep the 79
c5's are for rich guys.
(or increase your income)
Old 02-08-2002, 03:22 PM
Sharkeez
Melting Slicks

Same here :( But I just bought a new daily driver so I'll have to wait :(. Some times when I make a tight corner in the 69, I wonder how much faster I could do it in a C5 :(.... If things go my way,,, the 2003 Z06 has 450HP :cheers: I'll be inclined to get it,.. at the end of 2003 that is.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Keep the C3 or get a C5