C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting Ready For Paint - FINALLY!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2002, 01:30 PM
VetteNut72
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting Ready For Paint - FINALLY!

Although my 72 was origiinally Ontario Orange, the white painted by a previous owner had always appealed to me and is a good color here in the desert.

I guess it's white again!
I bought DuPont ChromaSystem Base and Clear. When I got home with all this paint I realized that my old compressor had to go. A trip to Harbor Freight solved that problem. Here are some pictures of the compressor and the paint:

Campbell Hausfeld 7HP 60GAL Vertical Compressor

Paint Filler, Sealer and Cleaner

5 Star Filler

DuPont NASON Sealer

Grow Super Clean

DuPont ChromaSystem Base and Clear

DuPont ChromaClear

DuPont ChromaBase GM White Code 521

DuPont ChromaSystem Basemaker

Next step is sanding, sanding and more sanding. Cleaning the garage and building the 'paint booth' are to follow. I am building the booth with 3/4" PVC and 4 mil clear plastic. A large Patton fan and furnace filters will furnish clean air. I will take pictures of the booth construction and post pics at that time.

[Modified by VetteNut72, 10:36 AM 2/6/2002]
Old 02-07-2002, 09:23 PM
VetteNut72
Pro

Default Re: Getting Ready For Paint - FINALLY! (VetteNut72)

I got the compressor hooked up today and started sanding. My old compressor would run my orbital DA for about 2 minutes. The new compressor supplies all the air my orbital needs.

Now, what's this going to do to my electric bill :eek:

Old 02-07-2002, 09:56 PM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

Take your time and try and find some enjoyment in sanding . . . :lol: Just don't hurry yourself. When I was young, getting finished had too much importance. Just do it right and don't think for a minute that something you notice in primer form won't be noticable.

Man, I can't wait to be where you are. I had to put the compressor, paint gun and filter sytem purchase on hold since we needed a computer. If things work out, maybe next month I can buy more tools!!! :yesnod:

Good luck!!!
Old 02-09-2002, 07:32 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

There are two things I noticed while looking at your products that you may or may not know. First, I would not use an acrylic sealer when all the rest of your paint will be urethane. You will get a better job with an epoxy sealer. And second do you know the white chromabase (817K) is a chevy truck color not a Corvette white? Just checking. Corvette white is whiter than 817. V7500 is an excellent clear. Good Luck with your project. Craig :chevy
Old 02-10-2002, 11:49 AM
VetteNut72
Pro

Default Re: Getting Ready For Paint - FINALLY! (CF6873)

CF6873,

Will the sealer I bought work even though the epoxy is better? This is what the local paint shop recommended. I can change to an epoxy sealer but it will cost much more. I am sanding all the way to the gelcoat so there will be no need to seal old paint and finishes.

Yes I know the Corvette white is whiter. The code 521 matches what is on the car now and it is what I prefer.

Old 02-10-2002, 10:10 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Vettenut72; The Ful seal will work but I wouldn't want to put an acrylic under or between urethane primer and the B/C-C/C. You could trade it in for Nason Ful poxy which is available in quarts. You could get 2 quarts of each part and not spend a whole lot more. I was hoping you had the colo you wanted. Good Luck, Craig

Get notified of new replies

To Getting Ready For Paint - FINALLY!

Quick Reply: Getting Ready For Paint - FINALLY!