C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fiberglass Bumpers - Quality?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2002, 01:07 PM
Smokest3r
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiberglass Bumpers - Quality?

I'm thinking of ordering a new front and rear bumper from tld-corvette.com. Anyone have any comments on the quality? I'd LIKE to put these on the car myself, how difficult is this?

Eric
Old 02-06-2002, 01:30 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Fiberglass Bumpers - Quality? (Smokest3r)

THe quality will proably be fine however fit is usually an issue it fiberglass parts due to the variability of the covettes assembly process, there are those on the forum who have recieved parts 1/2" too big or too small whil there are others whose parts fit nearly perfect. I am in thatlast group, but american sports car design nolonger sells vette parts so i cant reccomend htem. the installation - of the rear at least is straightforward - the front is a bit more involved but not beyond most people. if the part has poor fit then some bodyworkwill have to be done and that is where the talent comes into play
Old 02-06-2002, 02:34 PM
SteveA
Advanced

Here is the deal...you can get tru-flex or regular FB. I used FB from mid-america for my 79. The quality was marginal. I had replaced the 80 FB that I had from ecklers...the ecklers FB is much better quality. Either way, you will have to line it up, fill in the low spots (use short strand filler) and sand to match the contour of your abutting quarter panels. You will also have to cut out the holes for the license plate light, taillights, and license plate mounting. The better quality FB ones have a mounting bracket for the plate. I had to fabricate my own, as well as re-inforce the back of the rear bumper because it had too much flex in it (FB was not thick enough). If you go FB, get it from ecklers and ask a lot of questions. Good Luck.
Old 02-06-2002, 06:44 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Eric, you did'nt say what year you're working on here, but I put new front and rear TruFlex's on my '75 and they came out very good. Not perfect, but very nice for a good looking driver. Could've made them "show quality" if I was interested in making them look "that nice". I got a front and rear(shipping included)for $322 directly from the makers of them(Toledo Pro Fiberglass). These are "seconds", ones they can't sell to MidAmerica, CorvetteCentral, Zips due to slight gouging, deep scratches, etc. For a little bit of "featherfilling" I had to due, they were very well worth $322 I paid for them.
Old 02-06-2002, 11:25 PM
Vettesic
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Re: Fiberglass Bumpers - Quality? (Paul Borowski)

The front bumper in my sig pic is an Eckler's Flex-Fit. Fit is nearly perfect. The rear is also Eckler's. Fit not as good...but good enough. Like the prior posts state, you may have some body work to do. If you don't, good for you. Some vettes have had accidents and/or other body work over the years which changed their lines. I found these to be the best. I had problems with Tru-Flex bumpers and returned them. They just didn't fit. But thats just my experience. Good Luck with your decision!!
Old 02-07-2002, 01:31 AM
JerryM
Racer

I bought Tru -Flex F&R from Penn-Ohio Corvette. Great Price, good quality & Fit. Vette body Fit & Finish from the factory was none too good. Shourt strand filler and patience will do the rest.
Old 02-07-2002, 01:49 AM
Cajun99
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my fiberglass '75 rear bumper from Eckler's and it fit perfect without any extra work.

I'd show ya a pic but I still can't access my homepage :smash:

Get notified of new replies

To Fiberglass Bumpers - Quality?

Quick Reply: Fiberglass Bumpers - Quality?