C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally Recieved My POR-15

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2002, 12:48 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Finally Recieved My POR-15

After 10 days of anxiously waiting by the door, I called them to find out WTF??
My on line order never was processed, so they shipped immediatly and waved the shipping cost. It came yesterday, 15 days after the original order was placed. WOW :eek: :eek: This company has every type of paint for every application a restorer could want. I'm impressed!! I bought the cleaner, metal ready, black and silver paint. I've read all the info and will follow directions carfully. Can't wait to start on those rusty ole parts!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Old 02-06-2002, 01:48 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Finally Recieved My POR-15 (Silvr77)

Here's a tip. Get yourself a package of those throw away vinyl gloves and use them. If you get that stuff on you it won't come off until the skin wears off. I know this from experience :yesnod: . Also get yourself some cheap brushes with natural bristle. You can pick them up at a home center cheap. When you're done using them just throw them away. POR-15 is a great product because it doesn't come off ever. That also makes it somewhat of a pain to use so be careful.
Old 02-06-2002, 04:05 PM
Marks69BB
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, just got mine earlier this week! Looks like great stuff. I will be painting my half-shafts tonight and hitting the store on the way home to get the gloves and cheap brushes. Can't wait to see how this stuff works and holds up. Got the silver and the black too for the frame which is my next target for paint. :cheers:
Old 02-06-2002, 04:38 PM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Finally Recieved My POR-15 (vettfixr)

Here's a tip. Get yourself a package of those throw away vinyl gloves and use them. If you get that stuff on you it won't come off until the skin wears off. I know this from experience :yesnod: . Also get yourself some cheap brushes with natural bristle. You can pick them up at a home center cheap. When you're done using them just throw them away. POR-15 is a great product because it doesn't come off ever. That also makes it somewhat of a pain to use so be careful.

Totally, use the gloves. My order came in like 2 days, but that's cool they comp'ed the shipping for you. I am very pleased with them so far. Troy should hit them up for forum sponsorship.
Old 02-06-2002, 06:09 PM
Brett K
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have found that using those cheap disposable foam applicators gives much better results than using a brush. You don't get the lines or bristles in the finish. Another tip....you must cover anything that will be exposed to sunlight because the product fades. I think you either have to use a primer for adhesion or apply the topcoat while it is still tacky. The gloves are a must have too.
Old 02-07-2002, 09:48 AM
bjones9858
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One more tip: Don't let it drip on the driveway or garage floor! Once it dries it will never come off. I used it on a rusty firewall on an MGA 9 years ago and it still looks good. Recently used it on those rust pin holes in the floor pan of my 76 L48.
Old 02-07-2002, 09:54 AM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the tips guys. Whatever parts I can remove, I will paint in my basement workshop starting this weekend. The "on car" stuff will have to wait till the spring thaw. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Old 02-07-2002, 11:11 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's excellent stuff - but the gloves are a must have. I wish I'd got a dry suit as I was lying under the car to paint the chassis. The POR15 was running down the brush onto my hand. "Ha!", I thought, "I've got gloves on, it doesn't matter". But it ran down the gloves & onto my arms: I now look like a Zebra :lol: As long as you clean all underseal & grease off and use the metal ready stuff, it will stick like poopie to a blanket. I'm now thinking of spraying the GF's MGB with it, as I've never found such a good product. Well impressed! Whatever you do, don't "go over" dodgy patches with extra paint while it's still wet, as it dries with a sort of blistered appearance.
:cheers:
Old 02-07-2002, 01:27 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,597 Likes on 1,330 Posts

Be sure to have ventalation in the basement,you don't want to breath the fumes even if you're using a brush. Never spray it unless you have a fresh air system. I use a small fan over the open container that I transfer the paint to keep air moving away from me.
Gary

Get notified of new replies

To Finally Recieved My POR-15

Quick Reply: Finally Recieved My POR-15