C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front License Plates and temperature

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2002, 11:54 AM
JIM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Front License Plates and temperature

When adding a front license plate(68-72) has anyone noticed an increase in operating temperature? It looks as if a front plate will block a considerable amount of airflow.
Old 02-06-2002, 12:21 PM
ED DINAPOLI
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Re: Front License Plates and temperature (JIM)

JIm,
Chevrolet found the same problem when the 68 body style was introduced. It was not the front plate in particular that was the problem, but the amount of air that was availabe through the front grill. They added a front spoiler and opened the area under the grill to increase the air flow[ The holes were not professionally cut and were pretty sloppy]. I believe most of the air through the radiator is coming from under the car. I dont think the plate wil interfere with the air flow to any major degree. IMO.
Ed
Old 02-06-2002, 12:21 PM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

Default Re: Front License Plates and temperature (JIM)

C3s (as are most Corvettes) are mostly chin breathers, so if you have the air dam and radiator/shroud seals in place you are getting the best air flow possible. The little bit a license plate covers in the nose is not going to make much difference.
Old 02-06-2002, 05:21 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: Front License Plates and temperature (KenSny)

When I removed the front plate on my 68 bigblock I noticed such a huge difference in engine temp that I did not comment on the forum pending further investigation. The only way to really test it is to take the plate off and put it back on several times in one day, and I havent done that yet. I took mine off right at the end of the summer when the weather was turning cool. MJ
Old 02-06-2002, 05:55 PM
ED DINAPOLI
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Re: Front License Plates and temperature (MNJack)

MJ,
I would be interested to know how you make out with your test. The amount of area that is avalible with the plate removed is pretty small. There is also a grill behind the plate that is also an obstrruction. This is the problem that Chev. had, not enough non restricted air flow. Let us know the results.
Ed
Old 02-06-2002, 07:00 PM
Warp70
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Front License Plates and temperature (ED DINAPOLI)

No difference here :D But I would like to find a way to increase the air flow either by additional fans or fabricating some tubbing, etc. My car typically runs around 180 degrees, so I haven't look for altrernative cooling solutions as of yet. :smash:
Old 02-06-2002, 07:06 PM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Front License Plates and temperature (MNJack)

Mark

You must have missed the topic that was done on this. Yes, it helped some.

Even better is to install a Pace Car spoiler. Here's a pic. of Pacin'California Vette which shows how it scoops up air.

Get notified of new replies

To Front License Plates and temperature

Quick Reply: Front License Plates and temperature