C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vin Plate Rivet Broke...Now What??

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2002, 10:39 AM
Vettesic
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Vin Plate Rivet Broke...Now What??

I was in the process of re-installing new windshield pillar post weather stripping a couple days ago. Upon installing the molding the holds the weather stripping I noticed that the bottom of the vin plate was not in it's proper place. I also noticed that lower, little classic flower shapped rivet that holds the plate snapped off at the head leaving the rest of the rivet in the windshield post. The flowered head is kinda stuck to the vin plate itself! So I just moved plate back and left it for now. I have never seen these rivets reproduced. I don't want to re-rivet the plate back with the standard type rivets. It would look like vin plate tampering. Should I just leave it that way? Has anyone had this experience in the past? Any ideas would help. Thanks, L8TER, Paul.
Old 02-06-2002, 10:49 AM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

Default Re: Vin Plate Rivet Broke...Now What?? (Vettesic)

You're right about the "special" rivets. Why not just put a little JB Weld under the plate and rivet head and put it back in place. No one will ever know it was touched.....
Old 02-06-2002, 10:58 AM
Vettesic
Drifting

Default Re: Vin Plate Rivet Broke...Now What?? (KenSny)

Why not just put a little JB Weld under the plate and rivet head and put it back in place.
I thought of that too. My remedy was going to be clear silicone...Does that sound like Bubbas at work though? :eek: Thank You for the suggestion though. It's definatly an option.
Old 02-06-2002, 11:15 AM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

It's only a Bubba, if you are a dyed-in-the-wool NCRS guy. If so then you will have to search high and low for those rivets... Expect to pay some $ for a correct rivet, and it better be exact otherwise the DMV may take execption someday.

I can see by your pic (nice hood) that you are not terribly NCRS retentive, so just "patch" it and move on to the next headache....

[Modified by KenSny, 10:18 AM 2/6/2002]
Old 02-06-2002, 11:18 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Could a GM dealer not do this job? I assume they would have access to the correct rivets....
Old 02-06-2002, 11:24 AM
Vettesic
Drifting

Default Re: Vin Plate Rivet Broke...Now What?? (paul79)

Kensny.............GOTCHA!!

paul79...............Sounds possible.

Thanks Guys!!
Old 02-06-2002, 11:32 AM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can buy the rivits for $20.00 a pair here: http://www.trimtags.com/faq.html
Old 02-06-2002, 12:01 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Default Re: Vin Plate Rivet Broke...Now What?? (lbell101)

My suggestion to go to the dealer would "legitimize" the rivet replacement: in case of questions on new-looking rivets downstream you would have an "official" record from GM.
Old 02-06-2002, 12:12 PM
Vettesic
Drifting

Ibell101.....Yes, I checked their website...20.00 for the set of rivets. Definate alternative!!

Paul79......Just got off the phone with Bast Chevy. There is no part # for the rivets and the service dept. says the windshield may have to be removed. :confused: Then they would use a standard rivet. Sounds like a big magilla, and it's not gonna happen!! I hear what your sayin, but at what $$??

[Modified by Vettesic, 10:13 AM 2/6/2002]
Old 02-06-2002, 01:18 PM
JK80
Advanced

I also have a 80 vette it needed repairs to the windshield frame I deliberatly removed vin rivets, what a big mistake. In my time you could buy the rivets over the counter at any GM dealer. Now it's against the law you can't even buy them through the major catolog dealers. In Michigan if you won't to do it legally you start at the Secretary of State and their red tape. Then they send you to the Michigan State Police and you go through their red tape. If every thing checks out OK the State Police will supervise the installation of the rivets. They are the people who actually have the rivets. If I were you and I still have that rivet head I would use clear epoxy and forget it
jk80
Old 02-07-2002, 02:01 PM
ACLR810
Intermediate

You must proceed with extreme caution in this endeavor!!!! The legality of soem of the suggestions posted could land you in jail. I don't know about other states, but in Illinois, messing with a VIN tag is a serious crime. Even having possession of the roset rivets is a felony offense. If you buy some off of the internet, I can guarantee you they are not factory replacement items, only conventional rivets that have been modified to look like factory ones. I am a police officer and have been to some classes on stolen vehicles and there are some very strict rules governing VIN plates. I have seen modified rivets and a good cop can tell the difference. My suggestion is to contact your state police, inform them of your situation and ask them how to proceed. Make sure you have documentation showing the Vette is yours, and be prepared for a long process. Please don't bubbufy it to try to get it to work, if you get caught, you can end up in jail and lose your prized vette!!!!
Old 02-08-2002, 10:44 AM
Vettesic
Drifting

Default Re: Vin Plate Rivet Broke...Now What?? (ACLR810)

The legality of soem of the suggestions posted could land you in jail. messing with a VIN tag is a serious crime.
ACLR810, I to am in Law Enforcement. I can ASSURE YOU, I have no intention of committing a crime with my own property!! I realize your good intentions of this reply. However, I have FULL documentation for my vehicle and just needed some other opinions on this matter. Perhaps, think about the IM or e-mail feature for this type of reply. L8TER, Paul.
Old 02-08-2002, 11:05 AM
sray454
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe there is usually an ad in Hemmings for VIN and TRIM tag rivets ...
Old 02-08-2002, 11:31 AM
GWHITE75
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 21 Posts

Great advice ACLR810!! HEY, WAIT A MINUTE, how are you going to get that 79 of yours inspected after you put all that go fast stuff on it and make it run like a robber with no gun? :nono: Just kidding and don't need an answer.
Old 02-08-2002, 11:35 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Vettesic,
Those "rivets" are on ebay all the time, buy a set pop one in and forget it. Thats what i would do, why open the "can of worms" any more than you have to. ....redvetracr
Old 02-08-2002, 12:18 PM
ACLR810
Intermediate

Vettesic, I apologize for the way I worded my response. I did not intend to come off as being "billy bad-butt" about the situation, I just was trying to relay my experience and validate my point by saying I was a police officer. Sorry if it came out wrong, wasn't my intention. I guess the way things sound in your head when your writing something and the way it is pervcieved by others are not always the same.
Old 02-08-2002, 12:27 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Default Re: Vin Plate Rivet Broke...Now What?? (redvetracr)

EBay never ceases to amaze me. I have a bottle full of these pop rivets in the basement.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cg...item=602136870

Get notified of new replies

To Vin Plate Rivet Broke...Now What??

Old 02-08-2002, 05:11 PM
Vettesic
Drifting

ACLR810.......Gottcha.

Paul79, Yea...Amazing. How'd ya fnd that??
Old 02-08-2002, 06:10 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Just searched on "Corvette rivets" in Automotive. Sad to see such nonsense is coming from Canada.

Reminds me of the time when I was a struggling young'un with a new Wife and mortgage. A wind storm destroyed the metal utility/garden shed out back of the house. A few sections were straight so I stored them in the basement. A year later my "trusty" 1973 Gremlin X (Levis, 304V8) rotted out at the top of the front fenders. You guessed it! The storage shed sections were transplanted to the top of the fenders with......pop rivets!!! And a little bondo to smooth things out. That EBay fellow in Trois-Rivieres (Three Rivers) really has a lot of nerve. And as mentioned earlier, use of those pop rivets could lead to an impoundment of a vehicle. He speaks of the rosette style but I cannot see it.
Old 02-08-2002, 10:30 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Paul,
If you look closely you'll see that those are apparently the rosette rivets that are used to hold on the VIN tag. Sort of hard to see in the picture. They do look like standard pop rivets. But I could be wrong, the rosette is so ill defined, they might be "home-made."

Quick Reply: Vin Plate Rivet Broke...Now What??