C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What variables go into "programming a transmission"?

Old 02-06-2002, 01:03 AM
SaltyNuts
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What variables go into "programming a transmission"?

I want to update my 350H with a 4 speed (200R4 or 700R4). However, I don't want to update the motor yet--I want to save a bit for a high horsepower deal.

My question is if I have the tranny installed now, and later change out the motor, doesn't the transmission setting all have to be changed around to take into account the different shift points? Is is better just to wait and install the tranny when I install the motor, so that "re-programming" isn't necessary?

Thanks for any help.
Old 02-06-2002, 06:37 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: What variables go into "programming a transmission"? (SaltyNuts)

The transmission doesn't know what engine it is bolted to. You can install the trans now but you have to rig up the cable correctly as this tells the trans when and how hard to shift. This is VERY important and if not set op right can destroy the trans. You must also provide a method for the Torque converter lock up. (12V) What you cannot use is a 4L60E trans which is computer controlled, :D

[Modified by silvervetteman, 4:42 AM 2/6/2002]
Old 02-06-2002, 08:06 AM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go ahead and swap the tranny first. At least you'll be able to work through setting it up with our the worry of other new things. The same will hold true when you install the new moter. With an automatic trans, the torque convertor will be the main difference to figure out. If you plan in the future to run a hotter cam, you might want to select a convertor now that would match your future engine mods. Most modified engines can take advantage of a tq convertor with a higher than stock stall speed. Stock engines also respond well to moderate stall speed increases. Before I did my tranny swap and engine mods, I switched to a 2500rpm stall convertor behind my stock moter. It helped a great deal with acceleration from a stop, even with the stock moter. When I eventually got to my engine mods, the converter was ready and waiting to help reap the benifits of the performance mods.
Old 02-07-2002, 12:53 AM
SaltyNuts
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What variables go into "programming a transmission"? (Jvette73)

Thanks for the help guys.

So would this be a correct statement:

"All variables regarding the shifting of an automatic transmission can be altered upon swapping out the engine without even removing the transmission from the car----one or more cables/wires is adjusted to alter shift points, kick downs, etc."

Just want to make sure I get everything correct when I order the tranny.

Thanks again.
Old 02-07-2002, 06:29 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is true with the exception of the torque converter. Even it you decided to put a shift kit in later, you can do it with the trans still in the car. :D

Get notified of new replies

To What variables go into "programming a transmission"?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What variables go into "programming a transmission"?