C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help on brakes stuck !!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2002, 12:00 AM
BeachinVette
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help on brakes stuck !!!

Hey Guys
I went and had tires put on the car about 5 miles away, on the way back real close to home I could feel what was the brakes tightening up. when I got the car into the garage all the brakes were smoking. The only thing I have done was turned out the adjustment rod inbetween the booster and MC. I had spongy pedal that cleared up the pedal. I had probably driven the car 30 miles since the adjustment. Is there something on the distribution block that is suppose to release the pressure on the brakes when you release the pedal??

All help is appretiated

Thanks
Bob
Old 02-06-2002, 12:11 AM
lyonsh
Drifting

Default Re: Need help on brakes stuck !!! (76 Red)

It sounds like you adjusted the pushrod from the booster too far, which can result in the brakes being applied all the time because the MC plunger is depressed - it only takes a little. This is a common error, especially when installing a new MC; there's got to be some clearance between the pushrod plunger (I don't have my service manual handy, and don't remember exactly what the clearance is supposed to be).

The cure for mushy brakes is to flush the system so you get water/contaminants out of the hydraulics.

The distribution block is just that - a distribution block. It has a pressure differential switch in it that turns the brake light on if the pressure between the two circuits is unequal. This is a safety feature designed to warn you when you've lost one of the circuits - usually from a leak. But the block doesn't do any equalizing or pressure release. That's what the plunger in the MC is for. It has to be able to come all the way back to its seat to release the pressure - which is why it's important to adjust the pushrod correctly.
Old 02-06-2002, 10:22 AM
BeachinVette
Drifting

Default Re: Need help on brakes stuck !!! (lyonsh)

Lyonsh Thanks I figured I turned it out too much, When I had the car completely apart a buddy started turning it saying what it this :eek: . It was too late. :mad

Does anyone know the proper distance this liitle jewel needs to be adjusted to??
Thanks
Bob

Get notified of new replies

To Need help on brakes stuck !!!

Quick Reply: Need help on brakes stuck !!!