C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

snagged good job, your opinions??

Old 02-05-2002, 10:57 PM
daniel77350
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default snagged good job, your opinions??

I just got a job for $11 an hour AFTER taxes, and I can make my own hours(my mom knows the owner :D ). I start in two weeks. The job I planned on getting only paid about $6 after taxes. I was looking at a C4(since I have to sell my C3), but since I've gotten this job, I could get a early C5('97, '98 or '99FRC). The money I didn't use for car payments, I would put in the bank so when I went away to college I would have more then enough $$ saved to pay a year of car payments(or to help pay for 3-4 years of payments).

My mom thinks its a good idea because she likes the C5's, and she think's it'll be good for me to learn to save a lil money, and the car payments will be good for responsibility, or something. :jester

Plus she said it would build charicter because Im only 18, and a lot of jealous people would try to put me down saying it was my dads car, or he bought it(even though I'd be paying for it), or that I was "born with a silver spoon in my mouth"(which isn't true, I work for everything I get)...

What are your opinions.

Daniel
Old 02-05-2002, 11:08 PM
Jester69Stingray
Pro

Default Re: snagged good job, your opinions?? (daniel77350)

Id rather have my '69 than a C5 :D
but i guess its better than no Vette at all i say go for the C5. :cheers:
Old 02-05-2002, 11:11 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you get under a car payment right before entering college, you'll have added pressure when you need it the least. College ain't high school. You'll need to focus on studying much more than ever before. With a car note, you'll always have to work a certain number of hours in order to make next months payment. So, in a nutshell, I say don't do it. Bank the money, buy something outright, and leave yourself some flexibility down the road.

Shannon
Old 02-05-2002, 11:14 PM
TJRed76
Burning Brakes

I think that you're in the wrong forum asking about selling a c3 to get a c4 or c5. :lol:
If your 18 and are buying corvettes with your own money. I bet Mom is paying the insurance, plates and maintenance. Not to mention that she knows the guy that landed you this great job.
;)
If you are looking to build character and responsability, buy an economical car and save all of your money for college.
He**, anyone can be cool at college with a vette. Not to mention the vandalism it will receive in a campus parking lot. :eek:
Just my opinions, but you asked for them. :D
Drive On,
TJ
Old 02-05-2002, 11:16 PM
daniel77350
Drifting

Default Re: snagged good job, your opinions?? (sb69coupe)

Charicter was my moms thing. She did help me land the job, however, I pay insurance. Its under my dads name, but I pay my cut of it.

Im in college now. But this fall I'll be going to a college away from home. Thats why I planned to save up until then, so if times got rough, and I needed to REALLY focus, I could quit, and have about a 12 month cousion, which, durring summer, I'd come home to work, so its 12 school months, which is almost 3 symesters...Plus working durring the summer and christmas will pay back what I spent over the previous symester...

Daniel

[Modified by daniel77350, 3:19 AM 2/6/2002]
Old 02-05-2002, 11:21 PM
73Ken73
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see how you could afford a C5 making 11 dollars and hour after taxes. Are you going to be able to afford to put gas in it? You should save your money and spend it on beer at school.
Old 02-05-2002, 11:43 PM
73 LS-4
Melting Slicks

Why in the world would you want a car payment hanging over your head, then on top of that have to worry about a vette at college. Those two things alone would have made me broke and insane at the same time while I was in college. I have almost always had two vehicles, one was my work and school vehicle (the beater, albeit reliable) and then there was the weekend toy. The toy only came to school on special occasions and never stayed more then a week during the warm months and was never taken to any parties etc. for fear of damage. The beater was great (still have it), didn't have to worry about it (been through two hail storms) didn't draw any attention had the stock radio etc. in it, and was very low maintenance. My advice would be to buy yourelf something reliable first and pay for it in cash and use that at school and save the extra money your making now and buy yourself another toy when you can afford it. I know your very responsible for your age, but unfortunately most others are not and I'd hate to see a vette you just started making payments on get tore up at some party or damaged driving around campus, seen it happen to many nice cars when I was at school. Just my oppinion and advice, take it for what you will. Sounds like you got a great job for being 18, try to save as much of that as you can.

:cheers:
Pat Kunz
Old 02-05-2002, 11:49 PM
daniel77350
Drifting

Default Re: snagged good job, your opinions?? (73Ken73)

I will be working somewhere on a local military base putting together bunk beds and lockers...All I need is a socket wrench, and thanks to my C3, I have 4 of those. Its only me and about 3-4 other people, and its not a lot of work, but the boss won a government contract to do this, so he can pay such good wages because its the goverment(the $400 toilet seat people). As for the contract expiring, its a 3 year contract, so when I come home over the summer for the next 2 years, they'll be a job waiting for me...
:jester

[Modified by daniel77350, 4:04 AM 2/6/2002]
Old 02-05-2002, 11:54 PM
Cookwithvette
Burning Brakes

Where can I get a job like this?!!?!??? :lol:

Seriously though, (if you don't mind my asking) what is the job? Sounds awesome!

I have to agree with TJRed76 though, a nice car like a 'vette will get hurt in a college parking lot. All it takes is one drunken *(&&^hole and a rock to set you back a few hundred bucks. I live next to a frat house and have seen people do NASTY things to cars. The nicer the car the worse the "prank." (if you can call a rock in a window a prank.) Will you be living on campus? If you were living off campus I wouldn't worry as much. I'm just saying, personally, I wouldn't park a 'vette in a campus lot at night without an armed guard. :)

I'll be going back to school soon (well, if the job I'm at ever starts paying) and I worry what I'm going to do with my car. But, my paint is crap and the car is paid for. IMHO, get a cheaper car while you're in college and with the money you save on payments and gas put it in the bank. If you make "car payments" by regularly depositing money in the bank instead of to a dealer's pocket you'll be able to make a bigger down payment later on (and thus save money on payments).

Just my two cents. I'm not trying to be pushy or anything, just presenting another option.

Good luck to you whatever you choose! :cheers:

-Matt
Old 02-06-2002, 12:00 AM
daniel77350
Drifting

Default Re: snagged good job, your opinions?? (73Ken73)

I don't see how you could afford a C5 making 11 dollars and hour after taxes. Are you going to be able to afford to put gas in it? You should save your money and spend it on beer at school.
I could put gas and upgrades in it...the payment would be my only bill...and a '97, with the downpayment I have, my payments would be as much as if I bought a cavilier with $99 down and $2002 cash back. :D

But good advice all around. The only reason I considered one is because the payments would be kinda low(for the car), but everyone else would think I spent a fortune each month(its flattering to me because I was smart enough to crativly finance it as to make my payments lower then the jealous rice-boy/mustang peoples)...and college, I'll stay in the dorms, but I'll find the security office and park near it, and ride a bike back and forth to classes...(that was the plan anyway). Or I have a bro-in-law near by that I could stay with(he said if I wanted), and I could just commute...as for parties, I've never driven to a party, I leave DD to someone else. :cheers:

Daniel
Old 02-06-2002, 08:13 AM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Didn't this kind of go from selling the corvette to get something more economical, to selling the corvette to get an almost new corvette? :confused: I don't really understand it, but at least your going back in the right direction now. ;) If it were me I would keep the C3, but boy would I ever love to have a C5.

...as for parties, I've never driven to a party, I leave DD to someone else. :cheers:

Daniel
That's what I like to hear, leave the driving to someone sober. :cheers: Let us know what you decide.
Old 02-06-2002, 08:28 AM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just curious. How much would your monthly insurance payment be for a 18 year old driving a C5. Full coverage would be manditory by law on a car with a lien on it. I cringe at the guess. This would be your car, in your name, correct? I guess on your own that ins. would be well over $200/mth at minimum. Could even be closer to $300/mth
Old 02-06-2002, 08:47 AM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: snagged good job, your opinions?? (Jvette73)

If I were goint to collage again I would find an old fullsize convertable, like a Fleetwood or something, not in too good shape either.
Because when you go somewhere with friends you want a LOT of room for those 6 co-eds you meet on the way. And BELIEVE me....Nothing says party like a big convertable Cruiser! :smash: :smash:

Oh Wait! You're going to collage for an education.....
Old 02-06-2002, 09:20 AM
ylose
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: snagged good job, your opinions?? (427V8)

If I were goint to collage again I would find an old fullsize convertable, like a Fleetwood or something, not in too good shape either.
Because when you go somewhere with friends you want a LOT of room for those 6 co-eds you meet on the way. And BELIEVE me....Nothing says party like a big convertable Cruiser! :smash: :smash:

Oh Wait! You're going to collage for an education.....
and if ya want to be even cooler....slap a blower on it...
a convertible with a blower sticking out of the hood is like when you were in the middle school with balled up socks in your underwear ! :jester

as for advice.....save your money, invest it, buy a dependable car and when
you get out of college buy a house ! It will look even better if you walk out of college and buy a house :D

[Modified by ylose, 7:25 AM 2/6/2002]
Old 02-06-2002, 09:21 AM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

With all your money tied up in a "cool car".. where does that leave the rest of your social life? Dates, party with the guys, school functions, etc? Buy a good dependable import and have some fun in college. Don't be financially strapped to a car. These college days are some of the most important in your life.. get out there and rip it up, but always keep your focus on the grand prize... A DEGREE!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Old 02-06-2002, 10:14 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: snagged good job, your opinions?? (Silvr77)

I'd say you're darn lucky to be in the position you are. Wish life was like that when I was in school. I worked throughout school just to meet expenses.

I agree with Keith though, and would add that I wouldn't want a C-5 or any Vette for that matter "on campus". Too many idiots there. When I was in school I was driving a 6-year old '67 firebird 400 muscle car and commuted daily I was a worry wort when the car was out of my sight. :crazy:
Old 02-06-2002, 10:23 AM
ksems
Pro

I say save your money for now.
Enjoy college.
You are only 18....lots of time.....
plus, making people jealous in college is NOT going to be a good thing for the cosmetic condition of your car :)
By the way , you never said where the down payment was coming from and how much it was?..

no way , no how , can you afford a C5 on $11 an hour....with out alot of help.

Lastely , I remember when I was 18...the LAST thing I NEEDED was a
350+ hp car........life is very volitale at 18...I would have been a dead man.

Good Luck

Kevin

Get notified of new replies

To snagged good job, your opinions??

Old 02-06-2002, 10:40 AM
dman535
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: snagged good job, your opinions?? (ksems)

Here is the car to have in college. We bought it for $300. Could fit 12 people in it. There wasn't much that this thing would not go through. Insurance was like $30 a month. In the spring time we torched the top off. I will have to dig up the Quicktime of this thing in action, its pressy cool.

Old 02-06-2002, 12:02 PM
e3pres
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Just do what I did. Buy a reliable (read 'no fun') car to keep at school and keep the C3 in the garage. With the $$$ from the job you could easily put in a crate engine, and upgrade the rest of the car to be a very reliable daily driver for the future. I'm in college now. The only time my car has ever been parked on campus was at a car show during a symposium on the affect of the automobile on American life (go figure...). I'm afraid some ricer will f* it up out of jealousy. Just my $0.02.
Old 02-06-2002, 12:30 PM
Top_Notch
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

I just got a job for $11 an hour AFTER taxes
If you do good in college what you'll make when you get out will make $11/hour AFTER taxes look like chump change. Get your education in order first, then worry about the toys.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: snagged good job, your opinions??