C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical shorts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2002, 08:48 PM
ElSeano80
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Electrical shorts?

I posted awhile back about my powerlocks not working, after nearly disassembling the entire door, I decided to first check my fuses. Someone mentioned the powerlocks run on the clock fuse. Mine was missing. I bought a replacement set and was optimistic, but after installing the 20 amp fuse it shorted out before I could even turn my vette on. So I put the 30 amp fuse in, and the courtesy light below the steering column came on until I shut the door. Just like it should have done. Only, when I opened the door back up, the light didn't come on, so I pulled the fuse out, and this time the 30 amp fuse had fried. So obviously I have a short somewhere, whether it's a crossed wire or metal touching, I'm kind of wondering where to start. Should I disassemble the actuator setup and check the wires there our should I start at each wire harness attached to the door? Any help would be greatly appreciated. As always, thanks in advance.

ElSeano80
Old 02-05-2002, 09:03 PM
Jack71
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Electrical shorts? (ElSeano80)

I just had a short in the same circuit. I believe you're going to have to trace the entire circuit... all acc, clock, pdoors, door ajars (my personal favorite) and in my case the factory alarm. I pulled the interior connector in the panel above the drivers left foot that connects the rear interior harness and discovered that solved my shorting problem so I didn't have to go into the dash (phew). Turned out to be a problem with the alarm flasher.

Try and get a good schematic for your car and start tracing. Good luck.
Old 02-05-2002, 09:18 PM
Pete79L82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem on my 79. In my case it was the power antenna relay was shorted.

There are alot of thing on that curcuit.
I would try unplugging each one to try and narrow it down.

Here is a list from my 79. Your 80 is probably he same.

Clock
Dome lights. (possibly dome light relay)
Power Door Locks
Anti Theft (possibly anti-theft flasher)
Cigarette lighter (good possibility)
Power antenna
Glove box light

If you can narrow it down to which item, then we can help with possiblilities of wire routing
Old 02-06-2002, 12:35 AM
lyonsh
Drifting

Check the wires where they come into the door (I believe you have to pull out the rubber grommet to do this. I had a similar problem on my electric windows, and it turned out that one of the wires had broken from the door opening and closing for 20+ years and was shorting to the other one.

Just a thought.
Old 02-06-2002, 04:53 AM
Ingar, Norway
Racer

I had this problem when I bought the car. It was a short in the alarm horn. It was melted inside. Might be worth to check.

Get notified of new replies

To Electrical shorts?

Quick Reply: Electrical shorts?