C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solid Rollers / Pro and Cons. Any body have one they don't like?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2002, 05:14 PM
69 N.O.X. RATT
Safety Car

Location: Pettis Performance 565 with two stages of Nitrous Supply nitrous 1.082, 4.61 at 155, 7.17 at 192
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Solid Rollers / Pro and Cons. Any body have one they don't like?

I just finished putting together my solid roller cammed 454 .646 .653 / 242 and 246 at .050 So far I love the power the car makes. I am looking at driving it 3-4 times a week. I have seen a lot of posts about this subject. Who is running solid rollers, how often are you doing the valves, are you glad you made the decision to go with the solid roller. Any regrets

Holley 920 dp (Jet stage 3)
Edelbrock Performer RPM heads (oval) and Air gap intake
JE 10.3 comp
L-88 rods
NOS Fogger
Richmond 6 spd 3.36 gears
Arp everywhere
Lots more goodies :chevy
Old 02-05-2002, 05:23 PM
BeaterShark
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Solid Rollers / Pro and Cons. Any body have one they don't like? (69 N.O.X. RATT)

I have a solid roller (236/242 @ .050) in my 383. I've put about 2300 miles on it over the past few months and I drive it every day it is not raining (or snowing, like today). I plan on adjusting the valves every other oil change (6k miles). So far, I'm glad I went solid roller, but I've yet to take it to the track or have it dyno'ed.
Old 02-05-2002, 09:09 PM
clem zahrobsky
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Solid Rollers / Pro and Cons. Any body have one they don't like? (69 N.O.X. RATT)

make sure you never let the lash get loose or lose a rocker arm,push rod or rocker stud if you do not run a rev kit because if a lifter jumps out and turns 90 degrees and falls back into the lifter bore kiss your block goodby. just worked on one that lost a rocker stud

[Modified by clem zahrobsky, 8:12 PM 2/5/2002]

[Modified by clem zahrobsky, 8:13 PM 2/5/2002]
Old 02-06-2002, 09:09 PM
VETMANIAC
Racer

Default Re: Solid Rollers / Pro and Cons. Any body have one they don't like? (clem zahrobsky)

clem,

What exactly killed the block. I would think that you could resleeve the lifter bore and move on if that was the only problem. What else was damaged when the lifter rotated 90deg besides the lifter/cam/lifterbore? Just curious if this created a "boat anchor" out of the block or not and if so exactly how did it go about rendering the block unuseable.
Old 02-06-2002, 09:09 PM
VETMANIAC
Racer

Default Re: Solid Rollers / Pro and Cons. Any body have one they don't like? (clem zahrobsky)

clem,

What exactly killed the block. I would think that you could resleeve the lifter bore and move on if that was the only problem. What else was damaged when the lifter rotated 90deg besides the lifter/cam/lifterbore? Just curious if this created a "boat anchor" out of the block or not and if so exactly how did it go about rendering the block unuseable.

Get notified of new replies

To Solid Rollers / Pro and Cons. Any body have one they don't like?

Quick Reply: Solid Rollers / Pro and Cons. Any body have one they don't like?