C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guldstrand 5 Link

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2002, 02:01 PM
grnwd daytona
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guldstrand 5 Link

Has anyone here used this setup,and how do you like it?Whats best,coil-overs or transverse spring?Thanks for any feedback;Dave r
Old 02-05-2002, 03:33 PM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Default Re: Guldstrand 5 Link (grnwd daytona)

Merlin522 yeah the guy with the 74 with a few k horse.... talked with them, they talked him into building his own :yesnod: with C4 parts...

I would call them up and get all the specs and that stuff... Norval built a setup similar to gulstrands for around 300 bucks if i remember right :seeya
Old 02-05-2002, 03:49 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

grnwd,
I have the Riley/Guldstrand unit in another road race car i have and it is an awesome piece and absolutly NOTHING like the $300 6-link, this thing has $300 worth of heim joints on it !! It was designed by a race car engineer NOT by some guy in his garage, pardon the rant but it seems lately everybody "thinks" they can build a better mouse trap for less (in this case lots less) money. The 5-link i have is for sale if anyone (WITH MONEY) is interested as it`s not legal in vintage racing. ...redvetracr
Old 02-05-2002, 03:56 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I built my own for $115 for the rod ends and $11.00 for the aluminum rods. I may not be as good as the professional enginers but I am very happy with the results. It looks alot stronger then stock, feels tighter when grabbing the wheel and shaking it and with a level on the caliper it holds is camber through the full travel.
I can say at least that I built it, it did not cost much and no I am not selling parts.
Old 02-05-2002, 03:57 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Guldstrand 5 Link (redvetracr)

The 6-link you have will probably not work on an 82 will it??

Marck
Old 02-05-2002, 04:07 PM
WESCH
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Guldstrand 5 Link (norvalwilhelm)

Hi norvalwilhelm

Do you have any pics of your installation ?
Pls let me have them.
Gunther :seeya
Old 02-05-2002, 04:10 PM
ddn
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

norvalwilhelm: You do some cool stuff on your cars. I'd love to see pics of that setup.
Old 02-05-2002, 04:32 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Guys I have posted pictures on my 6 link before. Do a search. It appeared again a few weeks ago.
I also designed and built my own axles 86% larger then stock with oversize bearings. They are installed and look wild with the large outer nut. They too cost me about $100 for the pair in beer to the guys who did the splining.
I would like to run a post on these but they are something that most guys could never attempt. They are full 1.5 inch diameter , 4340 steel heat treated to 47 RC and should be unbreakable.
If anyone is attempting the 6 link i would gladly help with pictures and verbal details.
Old 02-05-2002, 04:57 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

norvalwilhelm,
"It looks alot stronger then stock, feels tighter when grabbing the wheel and shaking it and with a level on the caliper it holds is camber through the full travel."

Your kidding right "a level" ,camber change (bump steer) is measured with micrometers in thousands of an inch, NOT with a level but as long as it "looks alot stronger than stock" i`m sure it works! case closed!!
..redvetracr
Old 02-05-2002, 07:08 PM
C3 Shark Tank
Safety Car

redvetracr,

Do you have any digital pics of it mounted in the car? I have been considering this for a long time but have never seen one mounted. Dave T & Dick have me talked into buying one but it won't be for a while, the motor project has priority now and it seems I'm having trouble with my money printer ;) . If you do have some email me at shark.tank@verizon.net Thanks!
Old 02-05-2002, 07:17 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Default Re: Guldstrand 5 Link (C3 Shark Tank)

Sorry no digital but you can see a pretty good pic of it at the Guldstrand web site,just remember his "display" pic has some extra pieces to hold it up.
.....redvetracr
Old 02-05-2002, 08:28 PM
Stingy74
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your kidding right "a level" ,camber change (bump steer) is measured with micrometers in thousands of an inch, NOT with a level but as long as it "looks alot stronger than stock" i`m sure it works! case closed!!
..redvetracr
It does work. I've been driving around for two years with it. Traction increased when I switched from 3.08 to 4.11's. I have effectively eliminated this:
with my cheap, whipped together, garage built 6 link :rolleyes:

[Modified by Stingy74, 6:41 PM 2/5/2002]
Old 02-05-2002, 08:56 PM
shawn_cake
Racer

I have the Guldstrand in both my C3's - its a great product BUT it costs big $$$
Old 02-06-2002, 12:14 AM
C3 Shark Tank
Safety Car

redvetracr,

Thanks anyway. I've seen the display on their site, was hoping for a shot of one installed.

shawn_cake,

How about you? Got a digital camera you can take a few pics of the set up with? I'd be most greatful.
Old 02-06-2002, 08:54 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

There are do it yourself alignment tools on the market. Mine is a HOWEL. It is a level with a bubble and it magnetically attaches to the spindle. The level reads camber, rotating the wheel 20 degrees left and right reads caster. Again using a level to read the number of degrees.
l had my car aligned twice. Once at the dealers and once at a reputable shop and both times I was not happy. After setting it myself and finding the other two had set it within specs but not the same side to side I did it myself and was very happy with the results.
You may have a micrometer big enough to measure side to side but I am stuck with a level.
As for something have to be engineered by a professional I have taught at the leading Mechanical engineering university in Ontario for the last 35 years with alot of very smart people and feel I can decide for myself if I am comfortable with a modification I have done to my car.
Just because it doesn't have a big price tag doesn't mean it isn't going to work.
I am at a point in life where money is not really an issue any longer but personal satisfaction is.
Have a nice day REDVETRACER
Old 02-06-2002, 10:15 AM
Flareside
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Norval, I think your work is the best I've seen on the forum at any price, and your helpful posts are second to none! I plan to include several of your ideas in my car, and I'm looking forward to your help when I get there...

I guess we're just poor street cruising folk, not Vette Racers :lol:

-Joe
Old 02-06-2002, 11:08 AM
GWHITE75
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 21 Posts

I agree with with Flareside, in that I have benefited from a lot of things Norvel has posted. I only know him from the forum, but I have read things that told me he is a person with integrity and intelligence.

I have also benifited from redvetracr and his information/experiences as well. I think this forum is an excellent place to blend a lot of information for the masses, throughtout the world, that drive Corvettes.

There is certainly enough room for all of this knowledge. Money is a limiting factor for my hobby, so when I can get good information from people, like the both of you, I feel extremely confident it has come with a significant degree of safety, experience and functionality.

Thank you both. Can I get an amen?

[Modified by GWHITE75, 9:09 AM 2/6/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To Guldstrand 5 Link

Old 02-06-2002, 01:32 PM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Default Re: Guldstrand 5 Link (GWHITE75)

Ya got my Amen Gwhite... nice 75 too :cheers:
Old 02-06-2002, 01:42 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Default Re: Guldstrand 5 Link (Flareside)

Norval,Flareside&Stingy,
You all seem to be missing the point, someone claimed to have built a "better mousetrap" all i asked for was some degree of documentation . Checking "bump steer" is a well known way to check if your suspension is really doing what you say it is doing, "going straight up and down".If you knew what a bump steer check was you would know it requires the use of two dial indicators measuring the suspension travel of a plate bolted to the wheel hub in thousands of an inch and not with a level. If you want to "flame me" because i dispute your lack of results, KNOCK YOURSELF OUT ! But there is a right way to check what you have claimed and then there is your way (with a level). ....redvetracr

PS: Flareside, I must be doing something right as i have one of the fastest vintage race Corvettes in the country ! And if you read Corvette Fever you have seen it more than once.

[Modified by redvetracr, 2:52 PM 2/6/2002]
Old 02-06-2002, 02:15 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PS: Flareside, I must be doing something right as i have one of the fastest vintage race Corvettes in the country ! And if you read Corvette Fever you have seen it more than once.
I don't care if you're the President! Your tone toward Norval's system was condescending from your very first post above. If you don't like it, don't build it, but please don't attack something that he's obviously worked on so hard. Norval's very helpful, and the only help I've ever gotten from you has been "low ball" 1/2 price emails whenever I sell a Vette part:mad: If you'd like to discuss it more, take it to email.

Quick Reply: Guldstrand 5 Link